The 'Hiper-Explosive' Club

Soldato
Is it only the 580w Type-R Hiper's that are dodgy?

I've got the Type M 630w, I've owned it for about 4 years, and it's been in at least 4 different systems since then, and it's still going strong to this day, it's currently powering my partners i7 system o/ced to 4GHz with an 8800GTX, and it's solid imo.

I've opened it up in the past to clean out all the dust, and it has the same looks as a lot of the high end PSU's around, the layout of the components is extremely clean, and the build quality is excellent imo, so that's what made me think that it must only be the 580w ones that are crap.

Associate
Ok seems like I might have to join this club now....

Hiper Type R 530W died last night...

Nasty smell but seems to have died "safe"

put in el cheapo psu I had kicking around and the system seems to be booting fine, will run a thorough diagnostics on the system later.

it was only running the following so nowhere near full power!

Gigabyte 3d Aurora
Asus P5K-VM
E2160 @ stock
Freezer 7
4Gb DDR2 PC6400 (4x1Gb)
3 x 7200 rpm Sata drives and a Sata burner

Associate
Ok seems like I might have to join this club now....

Hiper Type R 530W died last night...

Nasty smell but seems to have died "safe"

put in el cheapo psu I had kicking around and the system seems to be booting fine, will run a thorough diagnostics on the system later.

it was only running the following so nowhere near full power!

Gigabyte 3d Aurora
Asus P5K-VM
E2160 @ stock
Freezer 7
4Gb DDR2 PC6400 (4x1Gb)
3 x 7200 rpm Sata drives and a Sata burner
here's where el cheapo will explode and take out everything with it

Associate
Luckily it was only for a few days while the Etailer I purchased it from kindly replaced it with a OCZ stealthstream 500w for FREE.

And I didn't have to send back the dead 530W

I can't name them as much as I wish to due to them being a competitor.

Associate
Bought a Hiper 580w Modular a while back when i did a build for my father and it lasted about 1.75-2 years and then one day he shut his machine down to restart and then a "Bang" or actually it was more like a "PUUFF" sound and it went. Luckily it didn't take the other components with it

Associate
Cant believe ive just found this thread, i have had 2 Hiper Type R 580w mods 1st one ran for about a year and a half before the high pitched whining started, RMA'd it, replacment lasted about the same amount of time then same thing happened, I still have the PSU and it has not completley failed yet but I wont use it anymore as I know its death is most likley iminent, came across this thread when trying to search for a way to fix it ie identify the faulty componant and replace it if possible, didnt realise the fault was so common, so has anyone managed to find what the fault is cos I would love to be able to fix it, had it open but cant see any damaged components at all.

Associate
Well, my 4.5yr old Hiper 580w finally bit the bullet on Tuesday, just didn't turn on, didn't take anything with it.
The main fan died on it about a year ago (heard the rear fan going flat out) so i changed that, should have taken it as a sign.:)

Associate
Can I join too please? My 38 month old Hiper Type R modular 580w just went bang yesterday while I was using it. Sad thing is, I have another which is 5 months older and it is still working but probably has been used less in the time. I have now (gulp) swapped the dead one with the working one and it seems the rest of the rig is OK. I don't trust it now so will be buying 2 x new PSUs very soon - not sure which though.

Permabanned
Wow, I missed this thread.

Mine blew up with smoke in just 3 months when I had it, luckilly my components were saved.

Associate
I have one of these in an old pc, not missed a beat but....this thread is scaring me, will source a cheapo to replace it i think

Associate
I had a Type R modular 580w fizzle and explode on me as well after 2 years use, taking my 7800gtx and gigabyte motherboard with it too..

Man of Honour
I have one of these in an old pc, not missed a beat but....this thread is scaring me, will source a cheapo to replace it i think

No No No. Do not buy a "cheapo" psu. Buy a quality branded psu. Cheap ones cannot deliver their stated power output, have weak unstable rails and if they fail are likley to take out your other components with it. The psu is the single most important component in a pc so do not skimp on it. Buy a quality one and it will last you a long time.

Associate
Oh, Im eligible for membership, Had the Hiper Type-R 580 die on my just a few months back, it was atleast three years old mind. And it was my fault I guess, was loaded with dust when it gave up the ghost while playing a game. Didnt take anything else out either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom