The 'Hiper-Explosive' Club

Permabanned
Ive had a hiper POS PSU, it was after that I bought my Enermax Galaxy and never looked back (well until the fan started ticking recently but I managed to obrain a spare and its back performing better than ever), even though it was bought sealed and new from ebay they wouldnt honor the warranty, luckily the ebay seller refunded, it didnt last a week.

Luckily it didnt fry any components tho, I would have been so mad had that happened

Associate
I'm so glad I ditched my 580 Type-R a few months back. I knew it was a POS but didn't realise just how bad! - It doesn't surprise me at all though tbh.

I used to get horrible squealing noises and general instability when using it, first with a clocked X2 4800+, and then an Opteron 165.

Buying a Corsair HX 750 was the best thing I've done for my rig - it saw my Opteron up to 3.00GHz immediately. I wish I'd realised just how crucial having a quality PSU is when I first bought the Hiper and saved myself the headaches it brought.

The question is - is it morally wrong to list my Hiper on an auction site without a disclaimer? :D

Soldato
I must have been lucky, had mine years and I have just sold it.

Same... Had one for years, then I gave it away to a member on this forum. Paid me a fiver for postage and he was given the whole PSU package for free...

thought it was his lucky day - guess he'd not seen this thread, or he's posted on here now saying its gone up in a puff of smoke..

apparently these PSU's were like well made bombs.. For sure bound to go off with a bang sometime..!!

Glad I got rid of it after reading this thread...

Associate
Quite a coincidence that this thread popped up.

My Hiper 580w Type-R died yesterday when attempting to turn on one of my older rigs. Its been going strong for 4-5 years so I cant say I am too dissapointed. Nice to know they its a common fault though ;)

James

Edit :

No component damage luckily.

Associate
hello everyone, can please join.

i've got a shiny gun metal hiper type r 580w modular sitting in the garage somewhere gathering dust after it died on me. Luckily I got off scot free with any other damage. Running an Everest 85 Plus 700w now and touch would i havent had a problem, infact bizzarely when we've had slight power cuts with things cutting off for a split second such as other pc's and tv's mine has ridden through still on...

Associate
A couple of years ago my brothers Hiper 4S435 went with a bang & briefly caught fire !! Amazingly nothing else died. The RMA'd unit nearly went the same way a week ago, this time he got warning 'smells' & turned it off, it's fan had died.

If I'd known at the time that Hiper PSUs were so dodgy I wouldn't of got it for him! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Tonight I'm joining. Had the thing for many many years now (I got mine when it first came out) so I reckon 5 years maybe??? Anyway, in the middle of a BFBC2 rush game and BANG + smoke. It tripped the surge protector on the extension lead and the RCD on the Office main circuit board.

Got a Corsair TX750 coming tomorrow, so hopefully I'll find the rest of the rig intact! Fingers crossed :)

Associate
i wouldnt ever use 1 of these things the quality is awfull

mine got thrown away the female connectors would twist and short with vibrations or whatever was type r 580w

me g/f had her 580 m go as well as said before but i had a look at it and the actual power socket on the thing had broken up

these psu`s should come with a health warning

but on the + side me toolbox i got with it is going well

Associate
I had one of these, lasted a good year and a bit before it went bang and lots of black stuff came out the back. Nice smell of burning/electrical to.

Did come in a nice plastic tool case if I reminder correctly.

Associate
480w type R going since October 2005 here (LOL), guess I was one of the 'lucky ones'.

Althought I've ordered a Corsair 600w GS now because I'm getting stuttering and am trying everything to fix it =/

Associate
I had a Hiper Type R modular 580w PSU (A good 5 years ago though), that was until one of the fan blades snapped and sent plastic everywhere, this then caused the PSU to rapidly shut down.
Wouldn't buy another one.

Associate
I'm pretty sure mine has just died.

Had it since December '06.

Turned on my computer, went out, came back and no sign of life, only the red light on the back of the Hiper unit. Hoping it hasn't took anything with it. :S

Associate
I'm pretty sure mine has just died.

Had it since December '06.

Turned on my computer, went out, came back and no sign of life, only the red light on the back of the Hiper unit. Hoping it hasn't took anything with it. :S

Just plugged in my new Thermaltake Toughpower 675w and everything is fine again... phew.

Back
Top Bottom