The how much data do you use thread.

Man of Honour
There's using a service you are paying for then there is taking the Michael and ruining the service for everyone else. Contracts are more expensive for large/unlimited data plans than they were 4 years ago

Associate
OP
Coconut888 gets the crown for using so much and not me :)

By the way Frozen, they do have a traffic shaping policy, regarding that problem your on about.

Coconut888 is that by tethering or just on your phone?

Associate
No abuse here I stream Netflix 3 hrs eachday in 4k that around 7-9gb each hr in 4k.
I watch 1hr youtube travelling to work in the morning.
Coming home from work I stream Spotify
Premium 320kbps
So 246gb Data is very easy not even trying at all. lol

Associate
OP
No abuse here I stream Netflix 3 hrs eachday in 4k that around 7-9gb each hr in 4k.
I watch 1hr youtube travelling to work in the morning.
Coming home from work I stream Spotify
Premium 320kbps
So 246gb Data is very easy not even trying at all. lol

I know exactly what you mean about how high the usage can be i also experience that when i stream youtube but not 4k.

Man of Honour
Coconut888 gets the crown for using so much and not me :)

By the way Frozen, they do have a traffic shaping policy, regarding that problem your on about.

Coconut888 is that by tethering or just on your phone?

Streaming 3 hours of 4k Netflix is abuse IMHO. That's the kind of thing you have a home broadband connection for.

It also hasn't helped prices, phones are no more expensive to purchase outright compared to 4 years ago yet equivalent contracts (Minutes/data) are on average £15-£20 a month more expensive

Associate
Streaming 3 hours of 4k Netflix is abuse IMHO. That's the kind of thing you have a home broadband connection for.

It also hasn't helped prices, phones are no more expensive to purchase outright compared to 4 years ago yet equivalent contracts (Minutes/data) are on average £15-£20 a month more expensive
To be honest four years ago I only use around 15gb month netflix streaming wasn't in 4k many phones back only had 720p/1080p screens plus no 4G Network available.
It's the same with Broadband prices increased year after year people data usage increased due to online streaming.

Associate
Have 3 lines of 20GB/month data package on EE but barely use even 2GB across each line (myself, wife and SIL). That's with us streaming youtube daily to and from work, and basically having no regard for what data is used. Only the younger SIL uses about 4GB every now and then.

I'd happily trade the high amount of data in exchange for quality of service - i.e. having a home-broadband like connection with only say 3 or 4GB data per month than patchy 4G with 20GB a month

Soldato
Agreed. Although having said that I would gladly ditch my home connection and use 4G/5G if it was reliable. Currently stuck with Virgin due to landlords not installing a TV aerial (I would be happy with Freeview) and I find paying for a TV package utterly ludicrous.

Associate
OP
Agreed. Although having said that I would gladly ditch my home connection and use 4G/5G if it was reliable. Currently stuck with Virgin due to landlords not installing a TV aerial (I would be happy with Freeview) and I find paying for a TV package utterly ludicrous.

Too be honest i don't feel comfortable using my 4g data plan like that, just doesn't feel right and yea may as well take home broadband for granted.

I see you live in London, have you seen this webpage it is for londoners like your self.

https://www1.relish.net/athome home 4g unlimited internet connection only for people who live in london.

You should give relish a go there scam, could ask them a question about it being reliable.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not heard good things about Relish to be honest. I knew someone who used it for a while and got terrible speeds. Changed to Three or EE and it was way better.

Associate
OP
I've not heard good things about Relish to be honest. I knew someone who used it for a while and got terrible speeds. Changed to Three or EE and it was way better.

Okay well that isn't on the agenda then :/.

As for freeview you say you cannot install a tv aerial lol due to landlords eh..does that mean indoor aerials and outdoor aerials then because i think you have done every option about that.

The only thing i can think of is yourself getting a mobile phone that supports miracast (to broadcast the phones screen to the tv leaving your 4g data connection in tact) and getting a three contract for unlimited data and then download tvplayer mobile phone app on the phone and there you go, freeview on your tv.

Actually no, three do go binge and they support tvplayer so go with a cheap contract that supports go binge, you don't need an unlimited data plan for that then.

Unless i am mistaken, you can get google chromecast and use your wifi connection will work with any phone, it will use your broadband wireless connection instead of 4g so yeah, can get freeview that way as well then.

The picture could be crap but i find it to be okay really, because i have watched tv via smartphone and using chromecast to get my mobile phones screen on tv and watch it on tv and it was okay.

Just an alternative for you to watch tv :0) there are bound to be some more solutions for this as well then.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Chromecast is easy enough to set up, you will need too have your smartphone connected to your wifi then select connect to chromecast whatever the name of it is via the cast screen option on your smartphone.

Then it is a breeze really, easy to setup, it will get wifi details from your phone so that the chromecast is also connected to wifi, and then your away and in anycase the purpose if you don't know about chromecast is that it is solely for your smartphone, to be controlled via smartphone inter connected with wifi so it won't eat your mobile data plan either.

Your phone has to be connected solely to your wifi, otherwise it won't work.

You will be able to watch tv channels from mobile phone app called tv player as i have already stated and anything else netflix, amazon video, youtube you name it and only costs 30 quid.

Hopefully your internet connection will be fast enough for that.

That is if you want to use it in this way :p.

edit

My mistake it is not only just for smartphone as it says here smartphone, tablet and laptop.

Facepalm

https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromecast/tv/chromecast/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I agree. Admittedly Ive only been living in my own place for 3 months and it annoys me that I pay for a TV package just for broadband. The virgin box has never actually been plugged into the TV other than install day.

Back
Top Bottom