The Huw Edwards situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Utter car crash of a thread. Gossiping like little school girls, and then it turns out The Sun is full of lies (shocker!).

Disgusting tabloid culture.

You've put a fair few posts in this thread yourself... If you were really against it, why not just stay away?

What seems to be happening now is that some of the non-BBC outlets are turning this into a "how the BBC handled this" argument rather than who did what and who is telling the truth.

Until, and if, there is any criminality involved (person is charged), the presenter should not be named. So many people advocating for the person to be named yet, I bet if the shoe was on the other foot, they would not want it to happen if it was them. Hypocrites and ghouls, the lot of them.

Or in a massive human tragedy, the media say among the victims are women and children. Should we feel more sympathetic as women and children died? Any human loss is a tragedy regardless of gender and age

Other newspapers: 'Sarah Daley was one of 9 women who perished in the tragedy. She was 36.'

The Sun: 'Sarah Daley was one of 9 women who perished in the tragedy. She was 36DD.'

Looking more like it's a blackmail attempt by a mum and step dad who don't get on with their son, coupled with a typical media anti BBC agenda.

That's the impression now after the sun's latest follow up. They've even run a quote from the step dad saying he went to the police but they wouldn't do anything as nothing illegal had occured. And there's no evidence of £35,000 worth of payments, only that the dad has "seen bank statements" that show money in the account!

Looking more like it's a blackmail attempt by a mum and step dad who don't get on with their son, coupled with a typical media anti BBC agenda.

That's the impression now after the sun's latest follow up. They've even run a quote from the step dad saying he went to the police but they wouldn't do anything as nothing illegal had occured. And there's no evidence of £35,000 worth of payments, only that the dad has "seen bank statements" that show money in the account!

Not necessarily a blackmail attempt. It could just be concerned parents trying to find some way of ending dealing this presenter’s ‘jolly’ with their daughter, who they know to be a vulnerable person.

I still find it hard to believe people buy newspapers anymore.

Last one I bought was a Christmas special, about thirty years ago! :p
Oh if we sell out of a paper, it’s a disaster for some customers! I tell them that their day will be more pleasant not reading speculative rubbish or depressing news.

There has been no need for newspapers nowadays.

Best example of how dated newspapers have been was Diana’s death. The latest paper I delivered on the day (and last paper round - that was planned a few weeks prior) was 2am Di badly injured in crash.

I bet newspapers were the least read ever

I still find it hard to believe people buy newspapers anymore.
academic - larger part of their revenue is coming from online digital referrals from social media - how much trending have embeds/excerpts from their/Sun paper caused people to click through,
they will have also been delivered adds on their social media feed from companies who want to associate themselves with the Sun demographic (online gambling ? )

Presumably police will arbitrate if there was any illegal grooming , such that the lawyers comments about no illegality would be void,
is there any president for trial with adult victim who rejects accusation, but crown prosecution prosecute (e: for what happened as minor) ?

Last edited:
There is the criminal element here, possibly irrelevant now - but also the public interest element. They are a high profile public figure, paid for by the taxpayer - it's not great if they are paying for dodgy pictures from vulnerable people; funding their drug habit (or whatever it may be).

It's inevitable that they're named at some stage, the BBC may as well get it over with. Most people have worked it out already...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom