The IMDb Top 250 - 365 Challenge

Soldato
I'd love to participate, but I simply don't like the genre's many of the top 250 films are, I REALLY can't be bothered watching all that fantasy and sci fi stuff ( and appalling fake looking CGI rather than actual filming, sci fi is sometimes ok but for example terminator 3 got boring and the matrix got boring after the first too, but I really don't like stuff like Lotr), mainly the 2000's were bad for this. I also don't think I'd like watching those family animated films like Wall-E.

I will probably watch the top 50 of the 70's and 80's ( is there a list of the 60's too :D ? ( EDIT: found it :))) Older films are far more fun to watch for me :).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Luckily a lot of the crap you're referring to isn't in the top 250, such as Terminator 3 or the Matrix sequels. The old, more superior T1 and T2 (no CG in the first, pioneering CG in the second) are however.

Feel free to 'mix it up' though, my hope with this thread was to get people watching films, not be restricted by strict rules on what they can and can't watch :D

Soldato
Luckily a lot of the crap you're referring to isn't in the top 250, such as Terminator 3 or the Matrix sequels. The old, more superior T1 and T2 (no CG in the first, pioneering CG in the second) are however.

Feel free to 'mix it up' though, my hope with this thread was to get people watching films, not be restricted by strict rules on what they can and can't watch :D

Yeah I guess I was a bit harsh, I just don't fancy watching some films in the top 250 list when I look at it. Or re watching the Matrix for example, I watched it years and years ago but aside from that ''I liked it'' I can't remember much but I don't fancy seeing it again to rate it properly if you know what I mean. I mean I've seen it but I can't say I've ''properly'' seen it as I can't remember much of it and I was much younger when I watched it.

I do remember I loved the first terminator.

But if I look at the top 250 list, there are so many films I have watched once ( before I was 16) but have little or no memory of, and just can't be that bothered to watch again. Many times though, I agree with the imdb ratings, if it's well rated but I don't fancy it but force myself to watch, at the end I usually love it ( aside from 1 or 2 exceptions, I didn't like the big lebowski (not my type of humor, I don't think I like dark humor, or well, I didn't really laugh even once during the film and wasn't amused by the story), and I didn't like eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, I had to turn it off halfway in as I just got a headache from it, perhaps just not in the mood for it ?, but aside form those 2, I think I haven't had it once that I didn't like a good rated film).

But I do genuinely hate (poor) CGI, modern war films are often full of them I miss the days of films that were actually recorded ( regardless if it was accurate or if a film took itself seriously), for example I love 60's&70's war films such as ToraToraTora, Midway, Where Eagles dare, Kelly's heroes, Battle of the Bulge ( yeah I know the ''king tigers'' in it were actually ''m26 Pershings'' iirc and how it's not accurate, I enjoyed the action and the picture) , The Longest Day, A bridge too far, Dirty Dozen, both the ....... Navarone films, Bridge over the River Kwai etc... And where I loved the actors more, I really think types such as Clint Eastwood or Telly Savalas are far more likeable than modern actors. I didn't somehow like Flags of our Fathers any more or Letters from Iwo Jima even though Clint directed them ( not sure which of the two it was but one of them had such terrible appalling CGI that looked so fake compared to the good old films), they somehow lack something the old films had imo. And I clearly hates rubbish like pearl harbour.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
And I clearly hates rubbish like pearl harbour.
Oh yes definately, many modern war films forget they're about the actual war and instead blow the budget on CGI battles. I got sick of seeing the advert for Perl Harbour where it ends with the CG bomb dropping out of the sky.

Das Boot beaten by Avatar...
The list does suffer a bit from 'zomg that new movie was the best I've ever seen' effect, they tend to drop down the list though, if they're nothing special.

Associate
I've seen about 70. Although there's probably a few on there I have seen but not known the names and some I missed.

I've seen loads of films I'd say should be on the top 250 and some on there that shouldn't, though.

Associate
135 for me. There are some really strange hiccups in the imdb system though. Shawshank at #1? Dark Knight at #9? There are a lot of good movies in there but a few undeserving ones too (V for Vendetta in particular causes me distress). I will endeavour to polish off the other 115 at some point!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Just finished watching Se7en.

There's loads of movies in the top 250 that I would normally dismiss, but I think it's doing them a disservice to omit them from my viewing catalogue because they're in genres I don't like, or are in black and white, or subtitled, or 'boring', or whatever. I trust that they made the list because enough people saw them and rated them favourably (partly excluding new releases that rocket straight into the top ten etc.). I guess there's an argument for not wasting time watching films you won't enjoy, but for me that's not entirely what films are about. Strictly speaking I didn't enjoy Schindler's List when I watched it for the first time last year, but I took a lot away from it.

Surely every film in the top 250 has something that makes them worth watching?

Associate
I've already watched a few of them, so I think it would be possible but I think I would lose interest after watching a few that aren't my cup of tea though, but as Belmit says they all probably have something interesting about them which might make them bareable.

Associate
The top 250 list changes weekly (or so), would be better to pick a static list otherwise you might end up watching ones which fall out of the top 250 :)
Also its common now for new fad films to go straight into the top 250 then drop out later when they come out on dvd etc

Back
Top Bottom