The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Caporegime
To follow this up - I ended up purchasing the full fat Kickr and couldn't be happier, my legs however aren't thanking me right now!!

The next thing I need to do is purchase a decent system to Zwift on, I'm currently running it on my laptop and am getting the below results on Zwiftalizer

gEQeZh1.jpg

I want to get a desktop system, with a 27" monitor and use that instead - what specs would you recommend for 1440p on ultra settings? This will be my only "gaming" so don't require a monster spec as far as I know!

I think it would be stupid to go 1440p

1080p is fine. If you don't think so. Go watch a YouTube video on a 55" TV and select 1080p.

It's fine for zwift use. Where tour main focus is on riding and your position and score

Soldato
When I ordered a Elite Suito from tredz they advertised the stock should be due 30th April, but I've just checked it tonight and it's now 1st July!!! Grrr... I was happy to wait a few weeks with my dumb wheel-on trainer, but July could (hopefully) be the end of the lockdown... At least the money only goes out when it's dispatched, so I can cancel anytime if I stumble upon one sooner.

This is standard Tredz behaviour out of lockdown. Always takes forever to get stuff from them.

Caporegime
To follow this up - I ended up purchasing the full fat Kickr and couldn't be happier, my legs however aren't thanking me right now!!

The next thing I need to do is purchase a decent system to Zwift on, I'm currently running it on my laptop and am getting the below results on Zwiftalizer

I want to get a desktop system, with a 27" monitor and use that instead - what specs would you recommend for 1440p on ultra settings? This will be my only "gaming" so don't require a monster spec as far as I know!

I'm getting 60fps, at 1440 with a 1600 and a vega 56. Albiet I was watching Netflix at the same time, shouldn't really affect it. I do agree though, with zwift I can't see there being any real difference between 1080 v 1440.

Soldato
Thanks for the responses guys, the reason I was asking about 1440 is because that's what resolution the monitor will be running, so I figured that'd be worth running Zwift at too. I've no issues with it at 1080p on the laptop, other than the physical screen size and low FPS.

Soldato
I’d follow this as a good guide.

When I got more serious into it about 2 1/2 years ago I upgraded my desktop. Previously I was using a laptop (i7 with 8gb but terrible mobile Radeon) and putting up with the low frame rate and bad graphics, group rides and some worlds (London) could give big FPS slow down though.

My desktop is an old i5 750, 8gb ram, gtx 970 and a SSD (I went from 4gb, a 7200rpm drive and an older low/mid range card) and it performs great now. Total cost was only about £250, I bought a new PSU as I was borderline with the old one.

https://zwiftinsider.com/zwift-pc-guide/

Last edited:
Soldato
Best way to compare 4iiii power vs trainer power?

I'd use the DCRAnalyser but it's $5 for a day pass and I only have about 3 mins of comparable data at the moment. Would rather generate a fuller set of data first to get proper use out of it. Just wondering if other tools ready-made for it?

Soldato
Best way to compare 4iiii power vs trainer power?

I'd use the DCRAnalyser but it's $5 for a day pass and I only have about 3 mins of comparable data at the moment. Would rather generate a fuller set of data first to get proper use out of it. Just wondering if other tools ready-made for it?

I asked this a month or so back.

Zwiftpower analysis will do exactly what you want and is free.

Upload the fit file to that, link it to the Zwift activity, can keep it private, gives you the overlays, comparisons of time/power and how close they track to each other.

You’ll want at least 20-30 minutes of data I’d say with some varied efforts in there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did the Italy Special tonight, spoilt a bit by cheaters and people sandbagging.

I made the front B group at all the splits, we had one bloke riding 6w and another doing 5-5.5w just hammering it with no smart trainer. Infernal pace shredded it, there were 13 or so which went down to 10 by the end. 3km to go (45 mins of 300w+) I dropped off the back and finished 1 minute down. B finish time faster than A... Check zwiftpower with the others removed and I am 6th.

Apart from one rider, everyone else ahead of me did 4.1wkg or higher... I did 3.8-3.9 just suffering to hold on. Gee go race A grade guys...

Looking at the other grades numbers after, the A guys have much higher 1 minute powers but maybe just down to a sprint at the finish. The 5-20 min powers were pretty much the same.

Soldato
I asked this a month or so back.

Zwiftpower analysis will do exactly what you want and is free.

Upload the fit file to that, link it to the Zwift activity, can keep it private, gives you the overlays, comparisons of time/power and how close they track to each other.

You’ll want at least 20-30 minutes of data I’d say with some varied efforts in there.
Free assuming you've got Zwift :p

I've not joined up on Zwift yet. I figured with the plethora of apps doing free trials right now I'd exhaust them first before paying for Zwift.

Edit: oh wait. Maybe this will work without a zwift file? I'll try with just the garmin fit and Rouvy fit I've got.

Soldato
Figured it all out. Used my previous not-yet-paid Zwift account.

zSERN07.png

That's a fair difference. I wonder if I can/should compensate for this difference by adjusting left-right offset on my 4iiii. Of course this is assuming the 4iiii is down and the trainer (Direto X) is not up but I would suspect 4iiii to be lower. I rode alongside a mate that is considerably more aero before throughout an interval. His DZero read 300+ while mine came out at 275.

Soldato
On the face of it that’s terrible.

Try cropping from 30-45 minutes and then adjusting the offsets so they match perfectly and see how they compare, but that steady state at around 35 mins looks way different.

What are the trainer reviews like for accuracy?

If you always use that bike on the trainer, then just have Zwift or whatever take power from your 4iiii but still control the smart trainer. That way the numbers will be consistent from trainer to road.

Otherwise, have you recently changed rings, calibrated both properly etc? Older Quarq over read for the first ride or two when you change chainrings, mine was 10-15% high before settling.

Saying that, I’ve compared Quarq, Rotor and P2M and they all stack up within 5% of my Neo. A bigger difference could indicate a fault somewhere. Worth investigations.

Soldato
A9YI0k2.png

Direto X accuracy reviews seemed pretty decent. It actually has a power meter inside.

I always calibrate the 4iiii 5-10 mins into ride. Direto X was calibrated but could need doing again if I did process wrong I guess. I'll have to try again and see if it's still same.

I'd be more likely to believe the 4iiii is under-reading. And that would be the best result really right? :D

I'm unlikely to use this bike on the trainer most of the time. I'd put another bike that doesn't have a power meter on. That's why I wanted to try get them in alignment so the numbers are comparable.

Soldato
"Calibration" on the Direto simply gives you a number to compare to the sticker in the underside of the unit. If it's within 3 points, power should be reasonably accurate.

If it's greater than ~5 variance, then you need to contact Elite and ask them to send you a link to the belt tensioning video, where you play with two Allen bolts on the outside of the unit and do a number of "calibration" tests until you get a figure matching the sticker.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
That's perfect, thank you Berger - here's my current setup with a tumble drier laptop stand!

rBhF4jX.jpg

Get a towel down on those tiles before you ride, otherwise after 2 weeks even if you clean them it honks big time, and really quite frightening when you lift them up to inspect the underside honk..... Its alive !!

Caporegime
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wa...d-KICKR-CLIMB-Grade-Simulator-KOM-Bundle/NS6F

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wahoo/KICKR-HEADWIND-Fan/J8SQ

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wahoo/TICKR-FIT-Optical-Heart-Rate-Monitor/HVK6?s=1

ordered all of the above

i've also ordered the following

https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/39...oss-100-2019-cyclocross-bike--olivegreen.aspx

and a spare 11-42 teeth; 11 speed cassette

Q1. what pedals and shoes do you guys recommend?

Q2. what tools do I need to remove the stock cassette and replace with the one I bought which matches the bike?

Q3. what lube / chain oil do I need and comes recommended?

I'll come back for recommendations in helmets in a few weeks.

Q4. I have a PC I'm going to use to run zwift, what do I need to connect everything to it? I'm guessing a bluetooth receiver or ant+ or both? any recommendations?

Q5. Whats the best value for money cycling shorts / gear? cheaper the better.

Going to use indoors for now but will use outdoors on paths / trails when the world goes back to normal.

Soldato
Q1. Do you want road style, or offroad? I'd probably go SPD for a Cyclocross bike personally, rather than SPD-SL

Q2. You'll need a tool to hold the cassette known as a chainwhip (otherwise it just rotates on the hub as you try and undo it) and a cassette tool - you only need the chainwhip for loosening the cassette and not tightening it - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-turntable-chain-whip-btl11/ https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-x-tools-cassette-lockring-tool/ (assume you have an adjustable spanner to use on the lock ring tool?)

Q3. I like Muc Off C3 - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-c3-dry-ceramic-lube-120ml/

Q4. I currently connect my Kickr using Bluetooth as my system already has built in bluetooth, however if you need to buy a dongle I'd go the Ant+ route as I've heard there are less issues with it (not that I've had Bluetooth issues myself)

Q5. I use DHB stuff which always seems to top value for money in my opinion - again can be found via Wiggle.

Back
Top Bottom