The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

FNG

FNG

Associate
I am interested in getting into indoor cycling as aching joints from many years of running and Muay Thai is starting to make running painful and I need something to regain my fitness. It seems a direct drive turbo trainer with zwift is a good combination; what are people's recommendations between the Tacx neo T2 and the wahoo Kickr V5? Or is there a better one. My approach with these things is try and buy the best I can afford; I figure I can always resell if it doesn't work out.

Associate
The 12 series CPU are absolutely spot on for Zwift, you only need the i3 version for maximum FPS.

With a 1070 you should be able to run maximum everything with good FPS in all worlds including in bunches.

Don’t be tempted into overclocking as it will likely lead to Zwift crashing even if it’s an otherwise stable system.

Yup it has proven to be more than capable.

At 1440p, Ultra settings. It ranges from 144 (presumably a cap based on my monitors refresh rate) to 70fps in bunches in Makuri Islands.

Was it worth the expensive to get slightly better visuals than my phone.... :cry:

Soldato
I am interested in getting into indoor cycling as aching joints from many years of running and Muay Thai is starting to make running painful and I need something to regain my fitness. It seems a direct drive turbo trainer with zwift is a good combination; what are people's recommendations between the Tacx neo T2 and the wahoo Kickr V5? Or is there a better one. My approach with these things is try and buy the best I can afford; I figure I can always resell if it doesn't work out.

Have you checked the DC Rainmaker buyer's guide? The high-end group is the Neo, Kickr and the Saris H3. The DCR site has full reviews of each as well.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/smart-cycle-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter.html/

I've had a Saris H3 since last November and I'm very happy with it - still under £600 so cheaper than the Wahoo or Tacx.

Soldato
Has anyone tried any of Zwifts FTP building courses? I've now ticked off most of the routes - other than the real nasty ones - so I figured it's time to get some of the plans working. Has anyone tried the 4 week one and have any success?

Basically realise it's time to boost my rookie, puny, numbers up!

Soldato
Has anyone tried any of Zwifts FTP building courses? I've now ticked off most of the routes - other than the real nasty ones - so I figured it's time to get some of the plans working. Has anyone tried the 4 week one and have any success?

I've dabbled in a few workplans over the last few years and they do work, but my biggest excuses for not usually doing all the plans workouts were things like...
Nice/hot weather, making turbo workouts even more super seatfests and a big draw to ride outdoors
Too tired after work in my physical job (postie) to do "x" workout by day "y" of week, but recently Zwift made plans more flexible might might help that next time I try a plan
Sometimes it's simply more motivating and fun to do a Zwift race instead

I've been doing frequent short 5-15min races, with the odd 15-25min and the very rare sub 60min since Jan. Things like the Mon-Fri 1215 Electric Spirit 1lap races, all categories start together and simply use it like a social workout (the As and some stronger lower cat riders blast out of the gates). Sometimes in recent weeks I'll do back to back short races like on Thursdays, the 1200 Micro TT "Sea To Tree" and then the 1215 Electric Spirit.

They've improved my short term power numbers no end and now the weather is picking up outdoors, I'm riding outside more and so far every segment I've attempted full-on has either beaten my old best or come a very close second besides one attempt (which in fairness was against my best 65secs power to date which I've not come close to ever since that effort in Apr '20)... This shouldn't in theory be happening at 48, having started to ride for fitness five years ago!:cry:

There are an increasing number of "category enforcement" races these days, which prevent stronger riders from invading the lower categories, spoiling their races and de-motivating riders in D and C especially. https://zwifthacks.com/app/events/?key=621b895261613 filte5rs out all these races.

Soldato
Maybe I'll give some of the lower category races a go as a means to build up that way. I'm quite competitive but often lack the ability that goes along with my competitive nature :p
I'm only at 2.6 w/kg so a beginner but I expect that means I can find plenty of groups with my ability level!

Soldato

I'm in the last 'work' week of the 12 week 'Build me up' plan, next week is regeneration and then an FTP test, I'm hoping for 10% extra which will take me from 246w to 270w (3.07 w/kg to 3.37 w/kg), them I'll be trying to lose a few kg which should get me over 3.5w/kg fairly easily. Prior to this I did the 6 week 'Dirt Destroyer' plan which is more MTB focused, meaning lots of low cadence stuff. That plan was my first after starting zwift a few weeks before, it got me from 210w to 246w, a 17% increase.

Build me up is an intermediate plan so do not start this one unless you like pain, I'm on the hardest week right now, which is 5 rides, 2x 2hrs and 3x 1hr - none of which are 'easy' and the hard ones are disgustingly hard...

100% start off with one of the 4-6 week FTP builder plans, you can check here what exactly each week looks like - https://whatsonzwift.com/

Soldato
I'll give that a go. I'm currently at 214w/2.61 w/kg. Ideally I'd like to get to 3.2w/kg but that'll take me a long, long time! If for nothing else but only to do the Alpe in sub 60 minutes. My first attempt was 88minutes. Down to 74 now. Those last 14 minutes are going to be really hard to shift.

Soldato
I get frustrated with the plans. Most are ok but require more time than I have or am willing to spend but some of the elements I fail at due to having the pedal at something like 110w at 80rpm. Sounds completely daft but I just cant move that slow and restrict the power output for a period of time. Annoys the hell out of me.

Soldato
I'll give that a go. I'm currently at 214w/2.61 w/kg. Ideally I'd like to get to 3.2w/kg but that'll take me a long, long time! If for nothing else but only to do the Alpe in sub 60 minutes. My first attempt was 88minutes. Down to 74 now. Those last 14 minutes are going to be really hard to shift.
Top of the Alpe with the walls of snow are pure hell. Always think I am doing well until I get to that bit then I just fall apart :D

Soldato
I fail at due to having the pedal at something like 110w at 80rpm. Sounds completely daft but I just cant move that slow and restrict the power output for a period of time.

You're using ERG mode, right? 80rpm is slow for you? That doesn't sound right either?

With ERG you're not having to control the power, so then you're just controlling your cadence. Surely 80 is easy enough to hit? That's a fairly normal cadence?

fez

fez

Caporegime
I get frustrated with the plans. Most are ok but require more time than I have or am willing to spend but some of the elements I fail at due to having the pedal at something like 110w at 80rpm. Sounds completely daft but I just cant move that slow and restrict the power output for a period of time. Annoys the hell out of me.

See below. With ERG mode all the training plans are really easy to follow. The only thing that is a bit tricky is when you are doing max effort sets and need to turn off ERG just before the segment and then turn it back on again.

You're using ERG mode, right? 80rpm is slow for you? That doesn't sound right either?

With ERG you're not having to control the power, so then you're just controlling your cadence. Surely 80 is easy enough to hit? That's a fairly normal cadence?

Soldato
12 weeks of build me up completed, FTP has gone from 246w to 269w, and weight has gone from 82.7kg to 79.1kg (on the testing days), so 2.97w/kg to 3.4w/kg.

I'd forgotten just how horrible FTP tests are though... :(

Soldato

Yep using ERG. I actually think its 60rpm or maybe 40, I don't remember - it's when you back right off between effort sets. 2 minutes at 110w at such a low cadence I just cant do. Appreciate it makes me sound like an absolute dafty but its true. May be different now I have a dedicated smart bike.

Associate
I’ve ordered a stages SB20!

Now just have to wait for it to arrive and then see how much my FTP drops with 2 months of inactivity and changing from a wheel-on-trainer.

Back
Top Bottom