The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Smashed ZRL last ride of the season on Tuesday, legs where rubbish and nearly got gassed out the gate as I got dropped at the start somehow. Lots of great sprint points from the team the early laps. Nothing from me - into the last lap and the drag towards the Arc I was messing around in companion app messaging someone and accidentally used my powerup (aero) I was saving... Thought 'sod it' and put an effort into the drag expecting to get chased, so was just a move to stress the sprinters towards the finish. Nobody immediately chased me. 5s gap and one guy did. 8s he caught me. Nobody else. 11s by the Arc and some respite, 2up effort to finish. What followed was the 'zwift dream' which never usually works out (at least in these lower cats)! A solo breakaway! Mopped up the final FAL points and nearly stayed away, caught in the last 800m! Still held on to 8th place. No idea how I had the legs for it. So my team clear winners of EMEA South C2 and will be promoted to C1 for next season. :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/6758183098/

I don't do many races but there have been a few where it gently pootles along until the sprint at the very end, and when there's no realistic chance of breaking away it can be frustrating.
(see above) :cry:

Do find 'normal' races pretty much are like that. There's no incentive or reason to do anything other than sit in for the finish. Not enough hilly courses in races!

But one thing I'll say the last 6 months everything has turned to 'points' races. ZRL prime example. There's no 'normal' races there now and the lack of hilly/mountain courses (only had 1 KOM finish this season) mean it favours power riders capable of repeatable efforts.

At the same time, given it's just an avatar on screen and everyone is generally judged simply by W/kg, then I find it odd a woman wouldn't join an event 'because there are lots of men in it'? You don't meet with them. You don't interact with them. It's not about 'they're faster' because everyone is similar level....
Women have traditionally found the racing hard on Zwift, physical differences generally mean they've competing against heavier and stronger men in the same categories. Which is why there's quite regular 'women only' categories or even 'women only' races.

A nice one is the FRR stage race I'm about to start again. It's Mixed cats, but women are allowed to race a cat below - if they prefer.

I've never ridden an Ebike so cant comment but how do you hit and sustain 27.8 w/kg on Zwift??
Various ways, but it's likely not an ebike.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Me loving stats and also wanting to know how much work you still have to do, I got a 4iii Power (Crank) Meter for it.

I'm mainly impressed that you were putting out 216w at a heart rate of 124. I am clearly just massively unfit :p

My HR sits about 160 when I am putting out a constant 200w on the kickr.

Isn't there a separate thread for all this dirty e-bike talk? :p

There you go, back on topic, I said kickr :p

Soldato
I'm mainly impressed that you were putting out 216w at a heart rate of 124. I am clearly just massively unfit :p

I think my FTP would have been around 280-300W back then, so it's a reasonably light effort I guess? I also seem to generally have a low heart rate when compared to friends I cycle with.

Soldato

It usually takes me approx 2-3 weeks, including some z4+ power efforts, to get my heart rate as low as outdoors for a given power. In the first few sessions of restarting turbo riding, my heart rate can easily be ~20+ higher for a given power... All with a decent fan (or two) plus plenty of water!

Soldato
Please elaborate! Obviously he is cheating, just interested to know how he can get numbers so preposterous as that.

This is an analysis of Pogacars incredible win on stage 8 of the TDF last year. https://www.procyclingcoaching.com/...inning-attack-at-tour-de-france-2021-stage-8/
He peaks at 19.5w/kg. :D

The well documented exploit was to change your weight in game using the companion application while riding, gain a boost from it and then alter it back before completing the ride.

This is a known exploit and has now been closed/eliminated and tracked/monitored.

Skipped my group ride for a race tonight, Evo CC on the Innsbruckring course. Pretty much flat with a leg snapper climb of 450m at 8% I think average.

Huge number of B riders, 80ish. First lap I was way too far back coming into the climb, I haven’t ridden it for ages, so pace my way up at 6wkg as unsure how long/difficult it was and find myself on the front of the fourth group, I keep riding on the descent, quickly over to G3, G1 + 2 combine but then sit up and we get back on.

Second lap much better, go up at about 7w this time and in the second group. A little worry for a minute but we get back on after the descent. It then sits up a lot and reduced group 3 gets on too on the final lap.

Third and final lap, go up full gas at about 7.5-8w, just on the back of group 1 almost at the top for the guy in front of me to pop. A gap opens and rather than go nuclear to try and close it and get on I ease off just a touch, figuring go over together with the other riders near me and get back on. I get screwed on the descent, somehow some more riders catch us, then everyone starts drafting each other yet despite constantly pedalling I end up off the back of the bunch of 5-6 guys and I’m in no man’s land. Have a bit of a huff and roll in 50 seconds down. Everyone who was with me got back in with the lead group to contest the sprint.. grrr!

Weird, zwiftpower shows it as an 18km race and misses the last lap off.. a certain A Turgis won A grade, on the back of a 5th place at Paris Nice.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thursday night race, know what I’m signing up for on London flat course! Ie a roll around at a low 3 and efforts up the minor slope at the end.

My fitness is coming up so I can animate the race a bit more, my legs were feeling a bit cooked from Tuesday without too much big kick but smaller efforts not bad.

Tuesday & Thursday efforts about 3.4-3.5 averages with NP 3.7-3.8 (20-30w higher).

Soldato
Next FRR Stage race (Tour International) starts this weekend. Got 12 Stages to ride from this sunday 13th until the 27th...!

Day Date Route Race X Distance
SUN 13/03/2022 1 Cobbled Climbs iTT 19km/200m
SUN 13/03/2022 2 2015 UCI Worlds POINTS 49km/475m
TUE 15/03/2022 3 Rising Empire POINTS 42km/762m
WED 16/03/2022 4 Ocean Lava Cliffside TTT 38km/312m
FRI 18/03/2022 5 Neokyo All-Nighter POINTS 49km/115m
SAT 19/03/2022 6 Achterbahn POINTS 56km/1390m
SUN 20/03/2022 7 La Reine POINTS 29km/1750m
TUES 22/03/2022 8 Greater London Flat TTT 28km/126m
WED 23/03/2022 9 2019 UCI Worlds POINTS 42km/785m
FRI 25/03/2022 10 Bologna iTT 25km/460m
SAT 26/03/2022 11 The Pretzel POINTS 73km/1360m
SUN 27/03/2022 12 Champs Élysées POINTS 42km/240m

It's going to be (brutal) fun! :D

Soldato
When I first read that I thought you meant 7.5-8W/kg up the Innsbrook KOM :eek:
Hahah yeah and I’m going pro next week….

The 60 second “leg snapper” on the Innsbruck course, good for a crit/kermesse as it shakes it up a bit and stops people from sitting on.

Tea Drinker
Don
Need a bike for my tacx now the weather is better for short training sessions in the morning. Do you reckon this’ll cut the mustard with a decent seat and of course pedals.

I have a crux but I’ve just had it serviced and repaired. I don’t want to be taking it on off on off etc it costs me more in repairs.

Looked at s/h but I need an xl frame and by the time I’ve been through the junk there’s nothing suitable.

https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/ceres/rd-2-2021-road-bike-934561#colcode=93456102

Soldato
Might need a bit of Tacx Neo DIY repair. Getting a noise which I thought could be chain or BB, not constant so I’m ruling out a small bearing, I waxed the chain and rode the bike outside on Sunday and didn’t notice it.

Mine isn’t as bad as this video but I think it’s the same fault. Will change bikes over on the trainer to eliminate that completely which should point at the trainer.

Mine is a fairly early Neo 1, with a later freehub fitted (the Tacx hub not the Edco).

https://tacxfaqx.com/knowledge-base/grunting-whump-whump-sound/

Soldato
I'm getting creaking on my bike when I'm on the turbo trainer that I don't get when I'm out on the road. I can't work out if it's the bike or the trainer but it being a carbon bike has me a bit worried.

anything I should be checking? I've made sure that the thru axle isn't tightened too much or too loose. It almost sounds like it's the bottom bracket but I only have started hearing it when on the turbo trainer. It could potentially be the feet of the trainer but I'm unsure. I've seated and reseated the bike many times through sheer paranoia that I've cracked the frame but there is nothing visible and it only makes that noise on the trainer.

it's on carpet so I can't tell if it's because the trainer isn't on firm ground but unsure what the noise could be coming from :confused:

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Do you have another bike? May not be much help but over the years of n+1 and buying spares you get a lot of gear. Anyway, my first road bike that got me hooked many years back is the turbo bike, only use it on the road for random occasions these days. Its an aluminium frame with carbon forks so not bothered if it gets battered on the stationary indoor sessions.

Soldato
Sadly no other bike to test on it. Could try my partners bike on it actually but unsure if she'll let me!

bit of reading seems like it could be the thru axle that's causing it and apparently some level of creaking is to be expected. Will give it another look tomorrow. It only really happens when I try to put the power down

Soldato
and apparently some level of creaking is to be expected.

This is what I thought tbh. When on road, any movements you make, any movement by the frame isn't really being opposed by anything, it just moves... on a trainer it's anchored to something, so when the frame is being pressured somewhere, there is going to be force/torque applied through it and possible creaks and groans. This is also the reason it could all go wrong, of course.

Soldato
I actually have a feeling that I haven't been tightening it up quite enough. I was able to recreate the noise when rocking the bike but holding the trainer firmly. Noticed it was coming from the non drive side of the trainer. Tightened it a tiny bit more than usual and the knocking has stopped.

hopefully that was it. It always worried me when doing a harder effort. I'll guess I'll find out when doing the three sisters tonight

Soldato
And to follow up. I think my noise is knackered BB.

Made a video of it. Took chain off and the cranks spin nicely but there is one spot where it feels slightly rough and perhaps that’s just being amplified through the frame and the turbo. I didn’t notice any issues on the road last weekend.

Ive emailed C-Bear to see if you can just replace bearings or if it’s cups too, it’s the “cross” version so has rubber seals, done 17k over 3 years according to Strava. Not amazing distance but not terrible either, I’d expected a bit longer (if it is the bearing which is duff) if I’m being honest, but it’s better than 2-3k for cheap bearings and then being almost disposable.

Back on topic, managed to turn off the HUD tonight, I typed a message before the race started. Not realising it wasn’t in the chat box and must have pressed the key to remove it, didn’t notice as it was in the pen, but then had no power/hr/distance/time or any other rider data to look at. Very old school, just had to estimate and look at the other riders! It was working okay until the end and I wasn’t sure if it was the last lap or not, so I started my sprint a little further back than i might have otherwise! Still power and result wasn’t bad, maybe it didn’t hinder me too much!

Back
Top Bottom