The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Associate
So I have finally got myself a trainer! Plumped for one of the Jetblack Volts which Evans are selling cheap (about £200). Done a couple of rides on it and am super happy with it - seems quiet (although my drive train is not!), well put together, easy to use, and response well to what's going on on screen.

I have a few very beginner Zwift questions:
1. How do you guys set yours up? I've been running it on a laptop screen with the Zwift companion app on my phone to control, but:
(a) I find that the companion app doesn't always connect brilliantly,
(b) having to reach across to grab the phone is a pain, especially due to the touch screen
(c) the laptop screen is a bit small from that distance.

I'm not keen on buying an iPad just for Zwift purposes - any other suggestions? Could I use a PS4 controller and remap the keyboard shortcut keys to it?

2. Is it smart to do an FTP test or something early doors to help Zwift calibrate itself? I did a couple of rides yesterday - one hilly, where I was probably on my third largest ring for most of it (at about 8-11%), and one flat where I was in my smallest and second smallest ring even when not flat out. Presumably, I could do with a little more resistance - how do I calibrate that?

Thanks!
PC and monitor here. Quite a few folks use Apple TV too. I've personally not had any companion app connection issues. Could mount your phone on the handlebars or use a table perhaps.
Regarding FTP test, you only need to do that if using ERG mode to do workouts to set a baseline. Workouts and racing is pretty much all I do, so do FTP tests often.
You may need to do a spin down calibration...

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all, was wondering if anyone could be kind enough to help this unfit lump to get back into shape. I’ve previously bought a treadmill but that was boring and made me worry that my old knees were getting battered. I want to try Zwift without spending too much as I love the competitiveness/gaming side of it. I tried it at a friend’s house and had fun. He however had the smart bike and I'm not willing to throw that much money yet as I may not use it enough to justify it.

I know absolutely nothing about cycling and will using it solely indoors. I want to buy the Wahoo Kickr core with the Zwift Cog. Was thinking about getting the cheaper Zwift hub but I can see myself getting Kickr Climb in the not so distance future and so don’t mind paying the extra now just in case I do. My only issue is I have no idea about which cheapest bike (new or second hand) would be best and need the least amount of effort to get it to work with the Kickr without issues. The frame will be xsmall. I need some suggestions for bikes that would be suitable that I can shop around for.

Cheers

Associate
Because you'll be using the Cog, any bike will do. Just choose which type of bike you want (road/mtb/other) and find one that fits you that isn't a complete lemon. Wahoo Kickr core with the Zwift Cog is a great first choice because if you end up not liking indoor cycling they should hold their resale value well. If road bike, then something like a 2nd hand Giant Defy, Trek Domane or Specialized Allez, which have a relaxed geometry, would be where my money would go. Plenty for sale and good value.

Soldato
Because you'll be using the Cog, any bike will do. Just choose which type of bike you want (road/mtb/other) and find one that fits you that isn't a complete lemon. Wahoo Kickr core with the Zwift Cog is a great first choice because if you end up not liking indoor cycling they should hold their resale value well. If road bike, then something like a 2nd hand Giant Defy, Trek Domane or Specialized Allez, which have a relaxed geometry, would be where my money would go. Plenty for sale and good value.
I'm running mine with a Decathlon RC500 which is also pretty comfortable geometry-wise. I'd be willing to bet that you can pick up their lower end models (eg the 120) very cheaply, and they'll be more than adequate for a trainer.

Soldato
Anyone use the virtual shifting on zwift? Ive got a kickr v6 its brand new but i picked it up second hand, so no warranty for me, when in the top 2-3 gears im getting feedback through the pedals i dont think i should be getting. I know there has been a recent firmware update to allow virtual shifting on the v6 via the play controllers. With virtual shifting i could solve this issue as i can just stay in a mid gear and let the trainer do the equivalent work of changing gear rather than having to rely on my bike to do it.

Or is there a bedding in period for trainers that ive missed?

Thoughts / experiences / feedback please.

Soldato
It might sound silly, but TV's are so cheap these days, have you considered that? I think I spent about £230 on a branch new 4k 42" that I plug my laptop into. The double bonus then being, if you want to watch TV/Movies while riding... you're all set!
Not silly at all! I cycle in my living room (little SW London flat :(), right next to a very nice 48 inch LG! Which even has a Steam Deck plugged into it, I just haven't yet bothered to try to get Zwift playing nicely with Linux. Perhaps that's what I should do though (or alternatively, plug my laptop into my Deck's dock, although there's then nowhere nice to put the laptop).

Last edited:
Soldato
+1 for Laptop and TV setup. I don't think I paid much for the TV i put in the shed. A cheap 42" Hisense one.

Usually I'll use the TV to watch something else but if I'm riding with a friend i'll have discord on my laptop screen and zwift on the big one

Soldato
So I did this last week. 8x days back to back on Trainerroad, 3x 3 hour sessions and 5x 2 hour sessions for a total of 514.81 virtual km with no Zwift optimistic speeds. I am looking forward to tomorrow completely off the bike and a easy recovery week. I'll also look to do a ramp test in a few days to see if it made any difference.

So not the best conditions to do it as I had a long day out in London last night, a couple of beers to finish too, but the cycle up the hill home on my heavy commuter gave me some confidence that this paid off. Woke up this morning to a low body battery, a training readiness of 5 and a recommended rest day but either way as I finished work I jumped on trainerroad and did the ramp test. +5.7% FTP boost.

Associate
(a) I find that the companion app doesn't always connect brilliantly,
(b) having to reach across to grab the phone is a pain, especially due to the touch screen
(c) the laptop screen is a bit small from that distance.

a. The phone running the companion needs to be connected to the same network as the device running Zwift. Could it be connecting via a different wifi network, or using mobile data?
b. The Wahoo KICKR desk or cheaper clones might be an option for your laptop/monitor/phone/drinks/whatever
c. I use a touchscreen monitor (on a gas arm) with my laptop, but any monitor or tv would be ok if you're in reach of the touchpad or a mouse.

Associate
I'm running mine with a Decathlon RC500 which is also pretty comfortable geometry-wise. I'd be willing to bet that you can pick up their lower end models (eg the 120) very cheaply, and they'll be more than adequate for a trainer.

Cheers both, I now have a starting point. Time to get searching.

Associate
Stage 4 was a lot better. Managed to stay with the front and the shorter hills meant I avoided getting dropped (79kg). Went up the kicker in 3rd on last lap but got caught by a big group and had a sprint at the end for 9th/158 (7/120 zPower) so massively pleased with that! Score updated and that is now my best result ever.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone managed to replace the bearings on a Kickr (2018) trainer?

Pretty sure that is what is wrong with mine. I have created a Wahoo support ticket but seeing as it was second hand and now a few years old I'm not expecting them to offer much help.

Worst comes to worst I could always just get a Kickr core but I'd rather not spend the money at the monent!

Soldato
Has anyone managed to replace the bearings on a Kickr (2018) trainer?

Pretty sure that is what is wrong with mine. I have created a Wahoo support ticket but seeing as it was second hand and now a few years old I'm not expecting them to offer much help.

Worst comes to worst I could always just get a Kickr core but I'd rather not spend the money at the monent!
I found this article that explains exactly how to do it:

Soldato
I found this article that explains exactly how to do it:

I’m dangerous with screw driver!

It seems there is a place about 10 minutes from me that said they’ll service it and replace any bearings for £90. I may drop it up on my lunch break tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom