The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Give me a complicated custom water-cooling loop and PC to build or ask me to tear down small electronics? All day long.

Anything that requires a bit of mechanical thought and I'm immediately intimidated.

Case in point was on Sunday I decided to put some more sealant in my tyres. took it off, cleaned it all up... couldn't get the stupid thing to seat again. Had a bit of a meltdown in the shed until I remembered I had a few CO2 cannisters laying about.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yesterday I thought I'd try the new ride 'The Big Spin'. I went for the longer one with 660 others. As often is the way, I start at a steady pace (440th) and then gradually worked my way forward. After almost an hour, with 1.2km to go, I realise my laptop is giving me a battery warning. I'd clearly knocked out the power cable when setting up. I was in a group of about 8, literally 401st and preparing for the bunch sprint to get inside 400 to finish. "Surely it will last a couple more minutes until I finish..." Nope! 1km to go and the laptop shuts down!!! Thankfully when I jumped off, plugged the power in and booted back up, I could finish the ride.

Associate
Yesterday I thought I'd try the new ride 'The Big Spin'. I went for the longer one with 660 others. As often is the way, I start at a steady pace (440th) and then gradually worked my way forward. After almost an hour, with 1.2km to go, I realise my laptop is giving me a battery warning. I'd clearly knocked out the power cable when setting up. I was in a group of about 8, literally 401st and preparing for the bunch sprint to get inside 400 to finish. "Surely it will last a couple more minutes until I finish..." Nope! 1km to go and the laptop shuts down!!! Thankfully when I jumped off, plugged the power in and booted back up, I could finish the ride.
Sounds like a genuine time to use the Coffee Stop feature (if you can cope with the 'freeloader' comments :cry:).

Just in case anyone is desperate to get hold of a particular prize on The Big Spin, if you complete the shorter route within 30 minutes and immediately do a late restart back into the event, you'll be respawned somewhere near the finish and get a second spin as you go under the banner again.

Soldato
Sounds like a genuine time to use the Coffee Stop feature (if you can cope with the 'freeloader' comments :cry:).
That was my first thought. Hit 'Coffee stop' and jump off to plug it in, but the option was greyed out. Maybe too close to the end? (I hadn't used it already)

**EDIT** Oh and I think someone had shown an interest in Sauce4Zwift. This is what mine is looking like at the moment. The profile is a little over exaggerated for a relatively flat ride, but it's still very handy.

iWZ0wbJ.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
That was my first thought. Hit 'Coffee stop' and jump off to plug it in, but the option was greyed out. Maybe too close to the end? (I hadn't used it already)

**EDIT** Oh and I think someone had shown an interest in Sauce4Zwift. This is what mine is looking like at the moment. The profile is a little over exaggerated for a relatively flat ride, but it's still very handy.

iWZ0wbJ.jpeg
Is that image all sauce for zwift? The map, elevation profile and data look a massive improvement!

Associate
One of those someones was me - being short-sighted I was asking how large you could make the fonts.
It looks good! The elevation profile alone has probably sold it to me. The other thing I'd be interested in seeing is the Watts saved through drafting - it might tell me I'm not as efficient as drafting as I could be. I'm not so sure about the W'bal figure - is it motivating to know there should be something still in the tank, or demotivating to know you've already used it?

Soldato
I was a someones too. Looks wicked that. Really like it.
I've always used an Apple TV with a bog standard Dell monitor I stole from work and been ok with it's inadequacies but recently got myself a good spec gaming laptop, installed Zwift on it yesterday to set up some custom zone 2 workouts (can't do them on Apple O/S) and the difference was amazing. Maybe a goal for next year!

Tell you what is interesting you may have not released, and I have just checked the strava screenshots as noticed while riding, I did a Big Spin ride on Wednesday and there were no positional placings shown on screen.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Found myself clock watching while just going through the routes and ticking them off, really struggled to find the motivation to finish some of them which I didn't like as I wanted to enjoy it or be pushed to try harder

Started the 24/7 group rides yesterday. Did the 1.8w/kg average one, obviously a ridiculously easy one for most of you, but wasn't sure how my pace would hold up. Found it fairly comfortable to stay with the robo-rider and did 40 minutes and averaged 150w. Found it so enjoyable, was actually surprised I'd gone over my usual 30 minutes and was close to 40 so just carried on. Really good fun and definitely felt pushed the whole time

Did the same one today, and my recovery obviously isn't there yet as it definitely wasn't as comfortable :D hit 30 minutes today with the same averages but it felt hard towards the end, a lot of free wheeling after the 25 minute mark

But really happy I got back in to it. 5 weeks so far and my fitness feels so much better and I'm enjoying being back in the saddle again

Last edited:
Soldato
Everyone looking forward to the stage 5 climbing event of Zwift Games over the weekend?

Thankfully D and C are only doing Mountain Mash ~6.5Km and ~335m (which looks like sub 30mins at threshold for top Ds), while As and Bs tackle Road To Sky.

Catchup events start next week, where you can complete a stage for first time, or simply try and improve a stage time.

Frustratingly, my knees are still giving me a fair bit of discomfort almost two weeks on while simply sitting round in the lounge, turbo sessions have been rare and nothing like my race pace. Hoping Mountain Mash is popular in races after Zwift Games, supposedly available for event admins from April.

Associate
Found myself clock watching while just going through the routes and ticking them off, really struggled to find the motivation to finish some of them which I didn't like as I wanted to enjoy it or be pushed to try harder

Started the 24/7 group rides yesterday. Did the 1.8w/kg average one, obviously a ridiculously easy one for most of you, but wasn't sure how my pace would hold up. Found it fairly comfortable to stay with the robo-rider and did 40 minutes and averaged 150w. Found it so enjoyable, was actually surprised I'd gone over my usual 30 minutes and was close to 40 so just carried on. Really good fun and definitely felt pushed the whole time

Did the same one today, and my recovery obviously isn't there yet as it definitely wasn't as comfortable :D hit 30 minutes today with the same averages but it felt hard towards the end, a lot of free wheeling after the 25 minute mark

But really happy I got back in to it. 5 weeks so far and my fitness feels so much better and I'm enjoying being back in the saddle again
I quite like the pacer rides. It’s not scientific, but I find that doing a short race or other high intensity event followed by a lower intensity robopacer ride for 30 minutes has helped my fitness a lot. It’s odd that having 5-6 other riders gives a group feeling which I would never get doing a random ride.

Associate
Everyone looking forward to the stage 5 climbing event of Zwift Games over the weekend?

Thankfully D and C are only doing Mountain Mash ~6.5Km and ~335m (which looks like sub 30mins at threshold for top Ds), while As and Bs tackle Road To Sky.

Catchup events start next week, where you can complete a stage for first time, or simply try and improve a stage time.

Frustratingly, my knees are still giving me a fair bit of discomfort almost two weeks on while simply sitting round in the lounge, turbo sessions have been rare and nothing like my race pace. Hoping Mountain Mash is popular in races after Zwift Games, supposedly available for event admins from April.
I was planning to go for an alpe PB attempt, but I’ve got a sore throat now and family have been ill so might end up giving it a miss unfortunately. If it doesn’t work maybe a makeup event will work timing wise next week.

Soldato
Still scanning FB marketplace and ebay periodically for a used rocker plate. Found these today :D . Reasonable idea, not sure how well they would stay on during a full sprint mind!

Soldato
Hah, I did exactly the same for my 3rd Zwift workout on Saturday and came to 219w. Sounds like we're on very similar paths!
im in to the 2nd week of workouts now, following the FTP builder plan, just finished the week 2 strength session, im disappointed you dont get star credit when you push all out on the sprint sessions and go way past the wattage it has set! surely thats a good thing :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom