The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
and went a bit further.....still felt good after it so when Youtube automatically went on the next 30 minute session i decided to continue...
Good going! If you're feeling good it's always best to continue! Especially with turbo riding - if you find some form, push it! :D
@Roady - you racing tonight?? - I'm tempted to give the KISS race a go again. Cat C was crazy from the get go last time. According to the categories I should still be cat C (270ftp/89kg) But was over the limit of 3.2kg at the end of the race. Not sure I can hang with Cat B's. Could team up and have a go if you fancy it?
I really need to get on tonight as I skipped last night & only did a short ride on the weekend. Although quite a high mileage week last week, but that's what I need this time of year - start ramping things up to find some form for the nice weather/longer daylight hours! :D

KISS Europe is at 8pm GMT, chicken for dinner so should be eating around 7pm-ish, 8pm racing sounds perfect! CAT B I can see being brutal and I'm not totally sure I'm fresh enough for a huge effort, so mid table CAT B? Also London loop so no big climbs to break things up = big peloton so I'll probably just be surfing wheels for a sprint. :D

3up @randomshenans ? ;)

Soldato
Good going! If you're feeling good it's always best to continue! Especially with turbo riding - if you find some form, push it! :D
I really need to get on tonight as I skipped last night & only did a short ride on the weekend. Although quite a high mileage week last week, but that's what I need this time of year - start ramping things up to find some form for the nice weather/longer daylight hours! :D

KISS Europe is at 8pm GMT, chicken for dinner so should be eating around 7pm-ish, 8pm racing sounds perfect! CAT B I can see being brutal and I'm not totally sure I'm fresh enough for a huge effort, so mid table CAT B? Also London loop so no big climbs to break things up = big peloton so I'll probably just be surfing wheels for a sprint. :D

3up @randomshenans ? ;)

Cat B looks awful but I'm game for a laugh - let me confirm about 7.15 or so with the missus and I'll jump on about 7.40 for a warm up.

Soldato
QR skewer arrived today! Gave the trainer a quick test run and boy, you were not kidding when you said it was LOUD! :eek: Might have to keep the front room door closed so I don't wake the missus should I decide to train in the morning! Lol. But it does feel great and no doubt it will help with my fitness more. Think I may just invest one at some point! :)

Soldato
Screw that!!!!:eek::eek:

Bailed into the team car after the 1st lap of the Cat B race.

Insane pace - pushed 400W plus from the start line, lost touch with the front group inside about 5 mins......got to the bottom of Box Hill around 25 seconds behind the leaders, I was still up and over 300W. Pushed hard up box hill, then had nothing left starting the 2nd lap. Decided to call it a day!! Funny thing is Cat C I was DQ'd a couple of weeks ago for going over limits, Cat B I got completely mauled!!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/909276453

On a positive note -

• Zwift wants to put my FTP up to 300W
  • about 30 PR's
  • Smashed a minute off my Box Hill PR
  • 133% intensity
Now time for a cup of tea and a large snowball!

Hope you boys finished well up the order. Can't believe that @Roady was commenting as he was riding!!! I was in a puddle of sweat and misery and couldn't get near my phone!!!

Soldato
Thought I saw a few of you on there.

My backside was hurting from Sunday! That's what a month off does for you...

Two laps of the London loop, I like the box hill climb for training, good length and gradient.

Soldato

Insane pace - pushed 400W plus from the start line, lost touch with the front group inside about 5 mins......got to the bottom of Box Hill around 25 seconds behind the leaders, I was still up and over 300W. Pushed hard up box hill, then had nothing left starting the 2nd lap. Decided to call it a day!! Funny thing is Cat C I was DQ'd a couple of weeks ago for going over limits, Cat B I got completely mauled!!!

That was good fun! I have no idea what was going on though :D On the climb it was saying things like 85th of 93. Then at the finish line it said 36th of 44 and after it finished it said 66th of 200ish. I dont think it was good anyway! :p
I was near Roady at the start and I clicked on his name on the list of riders on the left and the camera focused on him and it took me about 5 minutes to get it back to me and by that time I was riding along on my own somewhere.

Soldato
I'm in! I think? I have no idea what I'm doing here. Keep an eye out for me anyway, i might have it figured out by 8.
Was great to see you mate, I missed your post in here so was utterly surprised! 3 of us in there! :D

On a positive note -

• Zwift wants to put my FTP up to 300W
  • about 30 PR's
  • Smashed a minute off my Box Hill PR
  • 133% intensity
Now time for a cup of tea and a large snowball!

Hope you boys finished well up the order. Can't believe that @Roady was commenting as he was riding!!! I was in a puddle of sweat and misery and couldn't get near my phone!!!
Haha it was a brutal one, a little too close to a big meal for me so really thought my Cajan chicken was going to reappear... Start was insane! I was 5.5 w/kg and losing wheels everywhere! I think the key is to be hitting high power/speed at the end of the warm up, I'm generally casually spinning away before trying to add power after the start.

I always chat on Zwift, it helps to distract my opponents xD

Mobile in back jersey pocket with headphones on for tunes, I like to dish out Ride On's as well!
That was good fun! I have no idea what was going on though :D On the climb it was saying things like 85th of 93. Then at the finish line it said 36th of 44 and after it finished it said 66th of 200ish. I dont think it was good anyway! :p
I was near Roady at the start and I clicked on his name on the list of riders on the left and the camera focused on him and it took me about 5 minutes to get it back to me and by that time I was riding along on my own somewhere.
Haha yeah the camera controls can get some getting used to, there's a load of keyboard shortcuts somewhere! I managed to ride with you briefly after the start but it's so hectic I lost you.
ah man, I miss the fun :p

Sounds like normal Cat B then. Smash it out at crazy pace from the go and hang on. No pacing at all lol
Yup, about summed it up lol

https://www.strava.com/activities/909326656

Hit the start HARD after telling myself not to! :rolleyes: Pushing 5.0-5.5w/kg trying to make the cut into the front group. Made it and actually ended up on the front on the long shallow drags, just before the kicker with the monument I was dropping back so hit it hard and ended up on the front again. The front group was very big at this stage, a handful of riders constantly popping off the front before dropping back. I eased back in the tunnels to try a rest a little before hitting Box hill for the first time. I hit and held 300W+ for the first part but after the earlier efforts I really started to struggle, by around half way I was starting to lose wheels. I had no option but to try and hold power for the remainder but by around 2/3 I was dropped from the first group.

I had a dig at the top open section to jump on some passing wheels, managing to catch them on the start of the descent, I tucked and recovered as much as I could. I spent most of that lap in various small clusters of riders moving up as much as I could as my legs were feeling ok again. I tried to get away fromo the small group I was with, distancing most of them just before the second climb of box. I tried to settle into a manageable pace but after a few minutes it became obvious I wasn't going to be able to, I eased back to 250W for the remainder expecting to be picked up by some of the guys I'd dropped, none of them appeared, so I climbed it mostly solo before descending again tucked to recover. I'd got 15s on a group soon after the climb start but by the top they were only 5s behind.

In the tunnels afterwards the group of 5-6 riders came past me and I jumped on, rolling a few turns. On the underground kicker I hit 6 w/kg and distanced several of them so figured I'd try and rest a little with them to beat them in the sprint. This tactic worked well, several of them pushed hard very early and I stuck with them before opening my sprint with 6-700ft before the finish, I hit and held 7-8w/kg (600-700W) beating all of them (although 1 guy nearly pipped me on the line).

One of the hardest races I've done so far, all because of Box Hill, I'll happily race flat/hilly courses and can really ride like a puncheur on many of them powering up the climbs distancing people, but the long climbs like Box are a different story, my pacing wasn't great and I fatigued myself very early on the first climb. Without the aero tuck allowing me to recover I'd have finished much further back.

Still, happy to finish 31st in B (out of 103 starters) and ahead of the 4 others I sprinted against. Power levels down on my other couple of B races but that could be fatigue or the aero tuck skewing them :D

Edit: Smashed 22s off my Box PR!

Last edited:
Soldato
Hovering over a new V2 KickR for £850 most of today. Trying to find justification... in the interest of power progression I am planning on using the turbo throughout the summer (probably AM before work when it's cooler) and getting outdoors in the evening sun for some low training stress 'well being' rides.

Had been telling myself, after using the turbo loads this winter (4-5 times a week), buying a KickR and not using it much over summer was a waste. Could fetch £200~ for the Vortex Smart still at least I should think...

Associate
Hovering over a new V2 KickR for £850 most of today. Trying to find justification... in the interest of power progression I am planning on using the turbo throughout the summer (probably AM before work when it's cooler) and getting outdoors in the evening sun for some low training stress 'well being' rides.

Had been telling myself, after using the turbo loads this winter (4-5 times a week), buying a KickR and not using it much over summer was a waste. Could fetch £200~ for the Vortex Smart still at least I should think...

Where have you seen for 850?
I've been lurking for just over a week now. And everyday I wait, the more I'm saving and convincing myself to grab a good trainer.
My only problem is i've not ridden one before.

Soldato

stop it!!! Vortex is working well for me - I don't need to upgrade that as well!:D:D

Soldato
I just got an email saying t he Flux had been shipped... I was about to cancel the order, too. Pleased to see it up on their site now for 792 euros and I paid 609 ha see when it arrives.
Great news! I had kinda given up hope for them to fulfil it at that price after so long! You could flog it for quite a profit! ;):o
Hovering over a new V2 KickR for £850 most of today.
Trying to find justification... in the interest of power progression I am planning on using the turbo throughout the summer (probably AM before work when it's cooler) and getting outdoors in the evening sun for some low training stress 'well being' rides.

Had been telling myself, after using the turbo loads this winter (4-5 times a week), buying a KickR and not using it much over summer was a waste.
Could fetch £200~ for the Vortex Smart still at least I should think...
See the factory reconditioned V1's (I think?) for £650 from the Wahoo site?

Should get £200 for it. Set a reserve on it and make sure you cover the postage correctly, they're heavy! Posting my Road Machine cost £15 with MyHermes with it insured for £150.
stop it!!! Vortex is working well for me - I don't need to upgrade that as well!:D:D
Seriously considering upgrading mine in the summer/autumn if they're still doing the refirb KICKR's! :o

Race again tonight? ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Where have you seen for 850?
I've been lurking for just over a week now. And everyday I wait, the more I'm saving and convincing myself to grab a good trainer.
My only problem is i've not ridden one before.

12% Platinum discount & 3% Quidco on Wiggle.

Vortex does me perfectly fine though it is a royal PITA that ERG stopped functioning correctly with TR towards the end of last year and despite combined best efforts couldn't resolve it. Trying again tonight for the first time in months, not holding my breath, but there have been a few updates since and they had acknowledged issues with Tacx trainers over BT (though this happened on ANT on many devices too).

I managed to get about 2 minutes on a KickR at the LBS 2017 and would like something that feels nicer to ride seeing as I spend so much time on it during the winter, around 1,100 miles this year alone! And being able to ride .GPX profiles would be a nice bonus too.

See the factory reconditioned V1's (I think?) for £650 from the Wahoo site?

Should get £200 for it. Set a reserve on it and make sure you cover the postage correctly, they're heavy! Posting my Road Machine cost £15 with MyHermes with it insured for £150.
Seriously considering upgrading mine in the summer/autumn if they're still doing the refirb KICKR's! :o

Pretty sure I shared the refurb link initially (They have refurb'd SNAP's for £399 too) :p need to read the DCR V2 article fully but would rather a gen 2 from what I've read so far.

Can ship anything here through work up to 20KG fully insured, next day for £6 :) just have to 'remember' to pop some change in the petty cash :o

I was dedicated enough to get on the turbo before work a few week days in the summer last year, due to it being cooler, though mismatched crank length settings gave dire power readings and combined with being relatively new to power, thought I was over trained and under recovered, derp! So it won't be gathering dust during the summer.

I'm waiting for Wiggle to bump their platinum discount up to 17% as they do every year for a brief period. Can't remember when this last was?...

Last edited:
Soldato
Think you're right regarding the TDF, I'll just buy another then and return the original if that's the case :p

No joy with Wativ, not that I need tempting... kind of hoping my Vortex ERG mode actually works with TR again as it's perfectly adequate and I'm quite used to it now. Also saw my spend value in the last 365 with Wiggle, combined with the recent TT rig order and deep sections I should probably stop haemorrhaging money on this hobby passion :p...

Soldato
I don't think a coaching session classes as a 'Sportive' if you get drink & gels supplied! ;)

Benny, more than happy to play with my Vortex & TR on the weekend if you want me to test? I still have my free account IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom