The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Benny, more than happy to play with my Vortex & TR on the weekend if you want me to test? I still have my free account IIRC.

Wouldn't hurt to see if yours is as useless with TrainerRoad as mine :p No ERG over BT and then ANT+ will periodically forget during recovery valleys and not come up to power after.

Works fine in manual resistance mode and equally works flawlessly with Zwift both in free-ride and also workout mode, albeit quite a way off my P1's but consistent nevertheless.

Soldato
OP
THE FLUX HAS ARRIVED. It's hiding in my car... might try and get rid of the Vortex before I get it out/ swap it over haha

We're moving, which is costly, and so I've told her to reign in her "I want to buy all new furniture" actions, and so she'll give me a whole heap of **** for this (even though I bought it in Nov!)

Soldato
Did my first race today on the WBR Cat E 4 lap flat Richmond course. Being an idiot noob I shot off out of the gates trying to hold onto the front guys only to realise after most of the way round the first lap it was a warm up lap.:o:rolleyes: Slowed down and a second group caught up and I stuck with them all race. Came 19th out of 43 in a mix category race so no idea where I came in my category, had a look on zwift power but nothing is there yet.

Edit: Haha I came 11 out of 15 in Cat C :o oh well I thought I was going to be Cat D to be honest.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Hahaha, you *could*! ;)

Jumped into another KISS B ride last night. Came 31st B, AGAIN! :rolleyes: But happy with the result as my legs were not feeling that fresh after tuesdays. Power levels actually came out higher than Tuesdays, but was a much flatter course (and not 'skewed' by aero tucking! :D

https://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=4913
https://www.strava.com/activities/911778548

Practised my start, hitting 400W before the countdown and nailed it, flew off the front and was the first rider up the road for the first few hundred yards! That's the way to do it! Had to consciously back off to <4w/kg to get reeled back in, sticking with the front group (A) for a while, but soon started to tire (holding 4+ w/kg just to stay in the bunch!), my ANT+ dropped out to my Trainer so dropped back to the next (B) group. Surprised how good my legs were feeling...

This group had around 20 riders pushing mostly 3.5w/kg so was quite frantic, after a few miles I kept at the sharp end as things were starting to thin out with several riders around the front doing turns causing splits (inc me!). Around 6 of us soon 10s+ ahead of the rest, around the same time (laps 2 & 3) some of the flying A's came past lapping us, we got a couple of pulls from them and we'd increased the gap to 30s. Around the half way point our little group (of 5-6) started to pick up riders dropping back, one of which stuck with us (Elias). The group behind started to close the gap to us (getting within 5s at one point)! We had settled down to ~3w/kg so needed to up our game!

Gave the couple of guys some encouragement with me and Paul Mason (who I've ridden with a couple of times before) doing some long 4w/kg turns on the front. We lost a couple of riders but were closing down some stuck between us and the front group, passing 4-5 of them. When we had opened up a 20s+ gap over the chasers & picked off all but 1 of the riders between the two groups (the first group being 30s up the road) we took stock. We were left with 4 of us riding well together, so it looked like it was going to end in a sprint. As we entered the last lap Elias pulled away from the rest of us, pulling out a 8-10s gap. I said I'd lead Paul out, doing a big 1 mile pull and we reeled him back in, I eased up but Paul had popped at that point! Elias went for a long sprint pulling away and it was up to us to follow, I tried but hadn't got the legs to catch the other rider, Dodsworth, barely keeping his wheel. He then nailed me in the sprint, my kick barely hitting 400W. Great ride/race and a good result considering. My stamina seems to be improving, I'm able to hold ~280-300W even when 'tired' and feeling empty after doing some big turns. :cool:
Wouldn't hurt to see if yours is as useless with TrainerRoad as mine :p No ERG over BT and then ANT+ will periodically forget during recovery valleys and not come up to power after.

Works fine in manual resistance mode and equally works flawlessly with Zwift both in free-ride and also workout mode, albeit quite a way off my P1's but consistent nevertheless.
I'll have a look on Sunday if I don't head out in the sunshine...! ;)
THE FLUX HAS ARRIVED. It's hiding in my car...
Hahaaha, goodluck! ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime

Yours doesn't work in ERG mode?

Soldato
Yours doesn't work in ERG mode?
Not properly (read, consistently) with TrainerRoad over either BT or ANT+.

Tried literally everything. iPhone, iPad, Mac, New Mac, Wi-fi on/off, Beta version, old version, updated all firmware etc etc. Flawless with Zwift. Even contacted Tacx to see how to roll back trainer firmware which I'm told isn't possible.

Note, using Powermatch to my P1's. TR support we're excellent as you'd expect but no real resolve.

Caporegime
How much maintenance to people do on their bikes when turboing? I find I'm lubing an awful lot more frequently (ooer missus) which feels odd as I'm shifting less.

Also incidentally threw up for the first time yesterday. First turbo after ~10 days of a severe cold and stomach issues and it was a tough session to boot.

Soldato
How much maintenance to people do on their bikes when turboing? I find I'm lubing an awful lot more frequently (ooer missus) which feels odd as I'm shifting less.

Also incidentally threw up for the first time yesterday. First turbo after ~10 days of a severe cold and stomach issues and it was a tough session to boot.

I seem to put some lube on my chain every couple of weeks but then I find the dry lube I use doesn't last very long anyway.

Soldato
Not impressed last night. Got myself set up in front of my telly, stuck on the SMART features on it and youtube didn't work, reset itself then nothing showed up for a while. Gave up without a turbo session and low and behold its back up and working again this morning :mad: Weathers not looking great till Sunday so might have to turbo again till then.

Soldato
Had a go today and rode the new Zwift Volcano climb. Its alright, nice to have a climb of that length as it represents a little more what we have in the UK.

That and the Box Hill climb I enjoy. The Zwift mountain climb is a bit too long.

I do like the new TSS feature which also shows your power graphs, if they introduce it so you can display last 6 weeks/12 months or by year that would be nice for me. All my data is skewed from the last few years of racing and not relevant to how I am now.

Also, I would like an option to remove all resistance from the trainer to allow you to gear tune the bike with it setup on the trainer. Think it would be really handy!

Soldato
Also, I would like an option to remove all resistance from the trainer to allow you to gear tune the bike with it setup on the trainer. Think it would be really handy!

Just don't run Zwift? :confused: or run it in workout mode and manually lower the resistance?...

The Volcano climb is a great length. There's enough variety to provide 2-3, 4-6, 8-10 and 20-30 minute efforts which is ample for training on :)

Soldato
You can still run Zwift. Just access your device screen and remove the "controllable trainer" that is paired but leave it connected as your power meter source. This way you don't get the resistance changing and you control it with your gears.

The other option would be to create a workout, say 60mins of anything like a warmup/effort etc, whatever. Just de-select "ERG mode" when selecting the workout you made and you won't have Zwift change the resistance around it's all done by you/your gears.

Soldato
^ 'riders choice' workout gives you a 'flat' road profile for 60-90 mins IIRC. Can then set resistance & use gears as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom