The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Well now I can't find it so not sure if I'm making that up or not now...
They did a module, I think for the Bushido Smart, to add ANT+ FE-C to it (as it originally only had Bluetooth). There is another older one in their lineup (can't remember the name) which is BT only and has no add on module.
Hmm there appear to be a whole host of problems with the Tacx Vortex Smart which is a shame as I was liking the look of that.
No problems with mine (new a month ago). I heard Tacx Support can be a bit of a pain to contact, but good at resolving problems/replacement parts, just a time delay in doing so.
I've not heard back from Charlie, so I'll just start at 12pm CET tomorrow with #24hrRide4AVN in my name from the start line on the sea front. You should see me about if you're on there at any time tomorrow or Sunday morning :p
Good stuff mate, I'm out all of tomorrow (Wales vs Japan) but I'll try and get on for 9 or 10am sunday to ride with you for a couple of hours, will give you a wheel to follow and some abuse to keep your spirits up! ;)

I was going to jump on at 11ish but realise that'll be too late so will make a point of getting on earlier! :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My advice is to keep the calorie intake steady and avoid 'energy' drinks/food until the second half of the 24 hours. Also, a ton of bananas.

I was probably consuming about 800-1000 kcal every 50 miles on my 300 (mostly at rest stops but the odd banana or flapjack as I was riding).

This kcal intake advice may differ from what I've posted previously when I was wrong and others were less wrong :p

Soldato
Hmm there appear to be a whole host of problems with the Tacx Vortex Smart which is a shame as I was liking the look of that.

Although upon further reading it looks like this was a year ago and faulty brake blocks might have been to answer for it; and the response from Tacx has usually been pretty good.

Zero issues here since I got mine.

Soldato
Set up getting there. Trying to minimise the effort required to jump on, so TV needs to be lowered, and want to mount my fan and laptop directly to my TV so I can spin them out together and reduce effort.

Spent an hour today doing a gentle ride on TR, but TV too high so got a bit of a sore neck, passed the time whilst watching the football though.

Soldato
OP
Thanks man, I can only applaud FT even more now for his efforts. That was so so hard. After I got over the 8-9hr lactic acid seizing on my quads I soldiered on but was struggling to properly fuel myself continuously. I hit 11 and that hour was never ending. My body was just pure exhausted. I can't even begin to tell you how much I just felt empty. Felt utterly sick. Glad I did it and was able to still raise money and awareness. Obviously disappointed I didn't get further but regardless it was a monster. Annoyingly I'm 9km off 500km for the week... might have to do a quick lap if I can bare it on my arse.

Man of Honour
Thanks man, I can only applaud FT even more now for his efforts. That was so so hard. After I got over the 8-9hr lactic acid seizing on my quads I soldiered on but was struggling to properly fuel myself continuously. I hit 11 and that hour was never ending. My body was just pure exhausted. I can't even begin to tell you how much I just felt empty. Felt utterly sick. Glad I did it and was able to still raise money and awareness. Obviously disappointed I didn't get further but regardless it was a monster. Annoyingly I'm 9km off 500km for the week... might have to do a quick lap if I can bare it on my arse.

I don't think the two things are comparable to be honest. Unlike riding a trainer I got to freewheel at times and every 50 miles we had a 15-30 minute food and rest break.

It's a ridiculous effort so well done for doing it :) I'm not sure I'd last as long on a trainer if I'm honest.

Soldato
Set up getting there. Trying to minimise the effort required to jump on, so TV needs to be lowered, and want to mount my fan and laptop directly to my TV so I can spin them out together and reduce effort.
I wouldn't overload your wall mount, last thing you want is the TV crashing to the floor! :eek:

Some other kind of slim desk/shelf? The Laptop doesn't have to be near the TV, I've found my W10 lappy quite good at 'remembering' that Zwift (when loaded) is on the external screen. A floor fan would be quite quick/easy to move into position too. Guessing you need the space for your car? Mine happily sits on the drive (no way of getting it in the garage with all the other stuff in there anyhow!).
After I got over the 8-9hr lactic acid seizing on my quads I soldiered on but was struggling to properly fuel myself continuously. I hit 11 and that hour was never ending. My body was just pure exhausted.
Awesome! How was your a$$? My sit bone 'pads' get really tender on the turbo, huge amount more than on the road. Mine were more sore on sunday (after 2 turbo hours) than the 6+ I've done when out riding all day (on the road). Guess mine is from the cadence/movement friction rather than just sitting! :eek:

Supreme effort though! I think to really complete it you'd have to build up your tolerances more, probably with some 12 hour+ 'training' rides?!:confused:

Soldato
OP
Yea, ass is a bit sore, not *too* bad, but I'm feeling it. It was in pain Sunday mind. The wife and I want to do it again, we're going to do another one in the new year, maybe a 12hr ride again. See how we do on that one and then yea, work up from that point.

I didn't get on the trainer last night, thought the commute was enough, but I'll get on there tonight for a bit. Legs are feeling a bit tight but surprisingly good.

On the trainer front, now that I've managed to repair my TdF Vortex, I've got at home: My fully working TdF Vortex, a fully broken (both electronics & brake roller gone) TdF brake unit and a new Vortex brake unit they sent me (They didn't realise I took mine apart and spent time fixing it). Which means with the addition of this, which I've just bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282133890910 I should have a full brand new Vortex, in box.

Which is handy, as the shop I bought the Flux from is saying they are having "stock issues" which I think is them trying to back out of the price they sold it to me at, but I am saying I can wait... cheeky. I've gone back asking for a rough delivery date, and said they could send me a Neo as a goodwill gesture. :p Worth a punt, as is them asking me if I want to cancel my order!

Soldato
I wouldn't overload your wall mount, last thing you want is the TV crashing to the floor! :eek:

Some other kind of slim desk/shelf? The Laptop doesn't have to be near the TV, I've found my W10 lappy quite good at 'remembering' that Zwift (when loaded) is on the external screen. A floor fan would be quite quick/easy to move into position too. Guessing you need the space for your car? Mine happily sits on the drive (no way of getting it in the garage with all the other stuff in there anyhow!).
:

Don't think my bracket is a worry. Can take up to a 58inch plasma from memory. Laptop needs to be under as ill have tr on that and film etc on the main screen. Just trying to make it easy so I have no excuses not to ride it. And no car in there. Definitely not enough space.

Soldato
https://www.strava.com/activities/782847355

Zwift - KISS Europe - Cat C.

Brutal pace from the off - pushed myself pretty hard trying to keep 250W at all times. Never really had anyone to pace/work with - seemed scattered around the course. Pacey affair but happy to average 249W over the course.

Mental that the "winner" was 13 mins in front of me over 18 miles!!!

Bloody good workout mind you and had to mop the floor afterwards from the sweat!!!

Soldato
OP
I find the Cat C has a massive variety in it. You seem to have stupidly fast people that just break away from the office and get miles away and then sit on the pedals a bit which evens out the average. That's what it feels like anyway, as I have no idea how they get the breaks and hold them when you look at the power.

I was considering joining, but I also went for a resty Zwift figure of 8... until I felt really good, and smashed it. Wasn't bad at all! Upped my FTP to 271w and weight is dropping, too, now down to 89 metric tons (kgs), so it's all good. Hammered every 30day PR on the sprints, aside from the bridge too. Thought I'd feel awful, but feeling really quite good!

https://www.strava.com/activities/782788625

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom