The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
People were 45 seconds up the road after 2 miles etc in that Cat C last night. Mental stuff.

Tomorrow morning 9.45am - I get to wear the champions jersey for winning the TBR race last week. I was given 111kg in the handicapp last week, I bet I get 130+ this week!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Tuesday evening usually means a 90 minute blat around the lanes for me, but don't fancy it at all in this weather. What are the group rides like on Zwift? It'd be good to join something tempo-paced.

Soldato
Cat A chaingang, the realism is incredible. 10 minutes of stem chewing holding on the group, realise the guy at the front has lost the wheel, try and chase back on for 5 minutes, give up and roll round by yourself. :p

Did 15 mins of Cat B race after to top it up and that was tough going too.

Soldato
Cat A chaingang, the realism is incredible. 10 minutes of stem chewing holding on the group, realise the guy at the front has lost the wheel, try and chase back on for 5 minutes, give up and roll round by yourself. :p

Did 15 mins of Cat B race after to top it up and that was tough going too.

The pace is crazy in some of these! They do give you an awesome workout & fitness but its not quite the same as riding outside yet.

I do think the draft needs to be increased however. I have my avatar set to match my real life height and I hardly get any draft effect from other riders. In real life you can sit on pretty easy when its a large pack but this doesn't happen quite the same in Zwift yet.

Soldato
The pace is crazy in some of these! They do give you an awesome workout & fitness but its not quite the same as riding outside yet.

I do think the draft needs to be increased however. I have my avatar set to match my real life height and I hardly get any draft effect from other riders. In real life you can sit on pretty easy when its a large pack but this doesn't happen quite the same in Zwift yet.

I would agree re the draft, should give you much more assistance at higher speeds. I'm also not convinced they have the calibration right between the screen and the trainer, riding in a group still feels pretty treacle-y whereas in real life you would have a lot more momentum.

Soldato
OP
I am larger, so get very little draft on Zwift really. Smaller people seem to hammer along while drafting!

I've been crap this week. Cleat broke on the way home last night and I've twisted my knee so I drove in this morning. Ugh.

Soldato
Agree, ease up in a Zwift fast group and you'll immediately lose touch whereas momentum and being 'sucked along' on the road you don't lose speed as fast...

Also think the 'hold a wheel' needs tweaking, sometimes the onscreen avatar 'distance' is quite far back considering you're holding within 1m on the graph thing at the top... Also in reality you do get a drafting benefit further than 1m back from a rider, maybe increase the 'dropoff' so you're ok within 2m would be enough.

I went to ride last night but it was -2 in my garage, just too cold! Going to put a little portable radiator in there this lunchtime so I can ride later... I don't fancy my fans blowing -4 degrees air at me! Seems a sure fire way of getting ill and not enjoying it very much! :o :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I did the Latvia Zwift race tonight, slipped off the back before the sprint point when we caught some other riders and I was taking it easy at the back. Eased up for a second and gone.

Smashed myself at 400-500w but couldn't get back on.

Need a bigger fan in the garage, sweat pouring off me, relative humidity must be super high!

Soldato
Finally got back on the turbo last night, things were damn cold! -2 in my garage again, even after plugging a little radiator in at lunchtime and leaving it on low! I rode on the turbo in overshoes! No joke! :eek: :D

Weirdly started on the turbo with just as many layers as I'd ride with outside - thermal shorts with leg warmers and trackies over the top. Base layer, jersey, long sleeve jersey and winter thermal jersey. Snood/face cover, headband and wooly hat! Stripped off layers as I rode but didn't overheat/melt at any point! :o :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/790127961

Did 'The Wringer' on Zwift. Chose this one as a test of my current fitness, as I'm semi-ill/recovering and need to get some volume and regularity into my turbo riding. I maybe should've done an FTP test, but I'm almost certainly going to use an FTP plan for the regularity side of things and many of those start with an FTP test or have it early on. Wringer's 12* 445W 30s intervals I found ok, some tyre slip but ERG mode on the Vortex Smart handles it well so I could hit them. The reducing time 110W gaps between each interval I found more tricky, mostly over powering them at 125-135W. This is mostly due to my FTP details/settings from an outdated test (from my old turbo). The reduced recovery time was ok, it's only in the last couple that I started to hurt but even then backing off to hit 110W didn't feel like it made much of a difference. Felt good at the end and was elongating my cooldown with a bit of a freeride.

During cool-down I bumped into a local guy I know also doing a cool-down, we did a bit of a 2up to practice riding alongside, worked well but he also fancied a sprint... He's much more powerful than me but with him acting as a bit of a lead out I was able to sprint past and hold him off with 500W for 20s or so. My legs were empty and both leaving so called it a night. :D

Soldato
OP
I'm going to jump on tonight after a bit of a break due to people over/ logistics. My knees are still giving me jip though, so that's fun. Not from riding on one side, but still hurts.

Good work on your riding Roady. Would be interested to see what the program is like.

There is the specialized challenge on at the moment, cover 50km gives you a ticket to the raffle. Cover it on each of the 3 courses gets you 3 tickets to win a Specialized Roubaix or Ruby.

Soldato
I'd recommend resting more if your knees are playing up RS. I don't think you've had much since the massive 200 mile turbo session have you?

200 miles on the turbo! :eek:

I found the completely fixed Kickr to be harder on the knees than rollers or the Neo which moves a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom