The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Wicked mate! It is good fun. Way to make indoor riding much more interactive and enjoyable when it's a bit competitive. I'd do a race with you...your FTP/w/kg seems about similar to mine based on that ride!

I'm 88kg at the moment and 230 ftp. They gave me 111kg weight for the race, some top fast guys had 175kg etc!!:eek::eek:

That's a great race to look out for. TBR (The Big Ring) Handicapp. Follow the instructions to get your handicapp (basically facebook page, enter details and about an hour before the race you get your handicapp - change your weight in Zwift to the handicapp weight)

Best bit is the guy running it usually does a youtube commentary video a couple of days later so looking forward to seeing that !!!:D:D

http://www.zwiftpower.com/v2/race.php?id=1741

Soldato
I've stopped my TR sub and gone with the Sufferfest subscription.

New Windows application is pretty good for a v1 release and having all the videos to choose from provide a lot more variety. They've just put some yoga exercises into for sessions off-bike to work on recovery and core strength.

Soldato
How are you liking the Sufferfest app? I've only done the straight videos before. Easy compatibility & works well with smart?

All this talk of Turbo today is making me wanna ride... But I'm having a bit of an easy few days so I can do several hours with Ross on sunday! :o

https://www.emotuit.com/24hr-ride-avn-charity

What's best way to contact you when riding mate? Fb message? Email? Or just jump on Zwift and find you riding?

Soldato
How are you liking the Sufferfest app? I've only done the straight videos before. Easy compatibility & works well with smart?

Virtual Power for me with having a Road Machine.

Seems solid for a v1 release. I emailed support making a couple of suggestions and got a reply within a day - one suggestion being they make the video fill out the centre section of the app:

LZrhmDjm.jpg

Soldato
Seems solid for a v1 release. I emailed support making a couple of suggestions and got a reply within a day - one suggestion being they make the video fill out the centre section of the app:

Cool, thanks for feedback! Think I'm just delaying the inevitable before I revisit Sufferlandria. Can you do 'older' Sufferfest videos (like 'Revolver', 'The Rookie' or 'The Long Dark Scream') or is it just all new stuff?

Ross: couple of links to edit in to your first post when you have time:
DCRainmakers 2016/17 Trainer guide: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/10/annual-winter-2016-2017-bike-smart-trainer-recommendations.html
DCRainmakers 2016/17 Training Software guide: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/trainer-apps-guide.html

Associate
All, is there any way to turn my dumb trainer smart? I have a basic tacx trainer with no Bluetooth/ ant+ . I have a garmin 520 so just want to look into options I can use to measure my rides etc before I look at getting a new trainer.

Can I get accessories that will allow me to measure my training ? Is there anyway of using zswift with a dumb trainer with accessories?

Soldato
All, is there any way to turn my dumb trainer smart? I have a basic tacx trainer with no Bluetooth/ ant+ . I have a garmin 520 so just want to look into options I can use to measure my rides etc before I look at getting a new trainer.

Can I get accessories that will allow me to measure my training ? Is there anyway of using zswift with a dumb trainer with accessories?

if you have a speed/cadence sensor on your bike and a bluetooth dongle for your pc/laptop- you can use zwift.

When you log in, you tell it which trainer you have, and it will convert your cadence/speed etc into virtual power etc for zwift. I did this with my old minuroa trainer

Caporegime
Depending on budget - Tacx Flow Smart (~£200 @ Halfords or Decathlon) or a Tacx Vortex Smart (~£320 online). Basically the best bang for buck 'smart' trainers you'll find. I do find my Vortex quite whiney (in comparison to the Road Machines rumble) but I always ride with headphones on (music or TV).

For cheaper more 'basic' dumb trainers I'd be looking at Elite - they have a good rep and good support.
I'd definitely want a smart trainer because I'm a stats geek.

I also might be tempted by one that integrates with Zwift to help alleviate the boredom. But leaning towards trainerroad as I've used it in the past.

I'll look at the ones above but any other suggestions welcome too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cool, thanks for feedback! Think I'm just delaying the inevitable before I revisit Sufferlandria. Can you do 'older' Sufferfest videos (like 'Revolver', 'The Rookie' or 'The Long Dark Scream') or is it just all new stuff?

Yup - all three of those are there. Some of the new videos like Omnium and the mash-ups (Revolver is Easy) are app only

Soldato
OP
Well I'm full on rested up for today. WFH and will be having a nice big old pizza tonight in front of the TV after I've sorted out the basement so it's live stream ready.
Did only 20km yesterday, nice and easy. Done 150km for the week, but it was a fairly easy week.
All fuel ready as well, and many bottles will be on hand full of HIGH5s to get me through and I'll be shouting to the wife to load me back up.
Endura stuff arrived too, I got 2 sets of Pro SL bib shorts and they're so nice. I also got a set of cheaper ones, which are still really nice fit, just a little less amazing than the Pro SLs.

I've not heard back from Charlie, so I'll just start at 12pm CET tomorrow with #24hrRide4AVN in my name from the start line on the sea front. You should see me about if you're on there at any time tomorrow or Sunday morning :p

I've just tipped over 2k raised too: https://www.gofundme.com/24hr-zwift-ride-for-avn-charity

Stream will be available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZRirbsInKM

Caporegime
Hmm there appear to be a whole host of problems with the Tacx Vortex Smart which is a shame as I was liking the look of that.

Although upon further reading it looks like this was a year ago and faulty brake blocks might have been to answer for it; and the response from Tacx has usually been pretty good.

Last edited:
Soldato
All, is there any way to turn my dumb trainer smart? I have a basic tacx trainer with no Bluetooth/ ant+

As mentioned, S&C sensors and an ANT+ adaptor (not usually Bluetooth, it's only generally used with Apple devices) to plug into laptop to give readings to Zwift/Trainer Road/Sufferfest etc.

List of Zwift supported Smart & dumb trainers.

There are modules you can get but usually 'dumb' trainers lack enough hardware to read power data from you riding & the circuitry to transmit it, so it's much more than an 'add on'.

Kurt Kinetic do an 'InRide' pod which fits onto their Road Machine and Rock&Roll trainers, then using a power curve produces a calculated power. They are the only one I believe to do this and their module will not work with other trainers. It's also buggy as hell and I tried for 6 weeks to get one working correctly before eventually giving up. They also do a 'Smart Control' module (an add on like you mentioned) which fits to existing KK trainers but have had many teething problems. It's terribly expensive (£300), more so than buying a totally new smart trainer from a competitor.

Back
Top Bottom