The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Missed the start of the KISS race by a few minutes so jumped onto a WBR training ride. 2.5w/kg with 4.5w/kg intervals and sprints. I stupidly said I'd do some 'Keeping' (towing dropped riders back to the group). Dropping back to find dropped riders nearly 2 minutes back totally taxed me, most of them were unable to hold the 3w/kg or more needed to regain contact so ended up ditching them. Teamed up with a local guy I know (David B.) and have ridden with a couple of times outside of Zwift. We're quite evenly matched and we did a long stint at 3.5w/kg trying to tow a guy back before again giving up, there no way he was going to close 45s in under 5 miles. Somehow David and I closed that gap in under 3 miles just as the group were opening their final sprint/race for the line. Good fun and I'm happy with my couple of early 12w/kg sprints as well as the 4-4.5w/kg effort to close the group before the race at the end.

I could not for the life of me get the turbo to go anywhere near the 540W required for the 'pulls' (and I don't mean because I'm a weakling :D), I dropped my cadence but the turbo just didn't seem to react anywhere near quickly enough. Any suggestions?
The pain of ERG mode and on-wheel trainers! Intervals like that (500W from something like 200W?) I'll generally change up 2 gears and stomp it, ERG will take probably 20s to adjust resistance that much without any 'help'. I recall reading somewhere about the Vortex that it's only able to adjust up to 1% resistance every second? Not quite sure how long it'd take to add 200W of additional resistance but it'd probably be longer than a 5s interval, maybe even than a 10s. I figure changing up a couple of gears to 'manually' increase the resistance means the Vortex has to adjust less, so I'm more likely to hit the interval. It seems to work better for me. :cool:

Oh yeah I spoke to the missus about Zwift and reckon this is the closest I've come to getting her on a turbo. So I'm setting her up to have a ride tonight (ooer missus). Assuming she likes it enough to do once a week or so I'll probably try and find her a second hand smart turbo (or maybe I'll get a direct drive and she can have mine - yeah right :D!!!). Is the zwift riding with a friend mode the best bet we've got of doing a workout together? Think spinning. She likes spinning (but hates turbos and bikes, don't ask).
Awesome climb up there mate, only a minute slower than me and if I recall mine was pretty balls out as part of a race! 'EPIC KOM' is the segment most people judge against, I need another go at it at some point...! ;)

Get yourself in the OCUK group! :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
nerally change up 2 gears and stomp it, ERG will take probably 20s to adjust resistance that much without any 'help'. I recall reading somewhere about the Vortex that it's only able to adjust up to 1% resistance every second? Not quite sure how long it'd take to add 200W of additional resistance but it'd probably be longer than a 5s interval, maybe even than a 10s. I figure changing up a couple of gears to 'manually' increase the resistance means the Vortex has to adjust less, so I'm more likely to hit the interval. It seems to work better for me. :cool:
Do direct drives handle this better?

Soldato
Do direct drives handle this better?
Yes, by their nature the power curve can be much steeper ('harsher'!). An on-wheel fluid trainer (like the Vortex) is increasing magnetic resistance through a 'motor' (on a flywheel) which is pressed against the tyre so it has to be more linear to not cause traction problems.

Some of the direct drives (Neo or Flux?) don't have a flywheel (electro brakes?) so by my understanding they can increase resistance faster without mechanical issues (slowing a large flywheel) or any danger of shredding a tyre. The KICKR with it's flywheel is used as the measure, there are trainers with larger flywheels than the KICKR and they are known for having a better 'road feel'. I'm unaware if because of that extra rotating mass they then suffer from a more gradual power curve (and a similar 'delay' as on-wheel trainers, like the Vortex).

Caporegime
Soldato
Floor fan every time! But there are cheaper alternatives, look at Aldi/Lidl and other supermarkets. I got quite a large floor standing fan (similar size but on a stand) for £19. I actually have 2 of them - one blowing leg/side height and the other front/head height from different sides. Still melted last night!

Soldato
20" floor fan or go home. 2 if you have the space.

You'll find you end up needing gloves and warmers to keep your hands & forearms warm but will still sweat buckets whilst the rest of you cooks :p

Soldato
I'm actually contemplating mounting another fan on a shelf above/left/behind me directed at my back to reduce some of the sweat accumulation. Doesn't bother me when I ride but as soon as I'm on cooldown I can get quite cool/cold very quickly. On tuesday I rode with a mesh base & no jersey and it was worse afterwards than wearing a jersey. Probably more sweat than usual due to the heat & humidity though! :o

My Vortex has started to make some clunky noises on spindown, it's always made a few clicky noises on cooldown (quite normal for them) but has definitely got worse! Anyone dealt with Tacx warranty? I know Ross (@randomshenans) did for a motor unit? Got mine from Wiggle last autumn so I could quite easily return it to them rather than warranty (a refund and 'upgrade'...?) :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Me. Style comes first! ;)

I'm 90% of the time colour coordinated (shorts/jersey/socks/cap) when on the turbo and of course 100% of the time when commuting/riding outside (except maybe in the winter)! :p

Soldato
Fan(s) on the floor at 10 & 2 o'clock are the most favoured position. Hit's the legs, stomach, chest and head.

Pointing one at your back will just fight the airflow from the fan in front of you. You have to accept some perspiration, else just go swimming :p

Who gives a **** on the turbo?! And sure as hell ain't got the time or need for a sodding cap!

Caporegime
I wear a cap to soak up the sweat. I do not colour coordinate on the turbo.

Although, having said that, my shoes are black, I usually have black socks, my shorts are black, and my HRM strap is black, and most of my caps are black. Oh no. I totally do Roady up the turbo.

Soldato
Fan(s) on the floor at 10 & 2 o'clock are the most favoured position. Hit's the legs, stomach, chest and head.
Yeah I've got one at ground level at around 10 o'clock which hits legs and lower torso, the other is at face height at 1 o'clock hitting face, torso and shoulders. The back fan would just be for airflow to my back...

Oh no. I totally do Roady up the turbo.
Haha! See! :p

To be honest, I own ~16 pairs of bibshots and probably at least 30 jerseys. Most of my kit is either Black/Red (club kit and similar matching kit) or Blue/White/Black (mostly casual and commuting) so it's quite easy to colour coordinate.

Soldato
My Vortex has started to make some clunky noises on spindown, it's always made a few clicky noises on cooldown (quite normal for them) but has definitely got worse! Anyone dealt with Tacx warranty? I know Ross (@randomshenans) did for a motor unit? Got mine from Wiggle last autumn so I could quite easily return it to them rather than warranty (a refund and 'upgrade'...?) :D

Mine does that all the time - I spoke to Tacx last year and they said it's completely normal on spin down. Only if it makes those noises during your pedalling is it an issue.

Soldato
Mine does that all the time - I spoke to Tacx last year and they said it's completely normal on spin down. Only if it makes those noises during your pedalling is it an issue.
That's what I was afraid of! Mine has started making more noise when pedalling sometimes, just I don't hear it with headphones in. Nowhere near as bad as the spindown noises!

Well...the commander in chief went on Zwift this morning. Un-prompted.

It's happening :eek:!
Awesome! How did she find it? Give her lots of encouragement! ;)

Back
Top Bottom