The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Associate
Really enjoying this Zwift. Only really been cycling the Mountain route tho.
Think I'm gonna start trying a few of the workouts. SST (long) looks good, think I'll give that a bash :)

Edit: scrap that i'll try the (Med) first see how I get on..

Last edited:
Soldato
In her own words, it's boring as hell, and she hates it. But likes the exercise, so wants to do more.
Haha! Still got your Zwift trial? Get her on that if she doesn't like Sufferfest?

Really enjoying this Zwift. Only really been cycling the Mountain route tho.
Think I'm gonna start trying a few of the workouts. SST (long) looks good, think I'll give that a bash :)
Good work if you're conqueuring the Wattopia mountain regularly! Such a grind doing it more than once really taxes me. Did it once in a race and felt it in my legs for a week afterwards! Brutal!

SST is good but I wouldn't jump straight into the Long unless you've already done some sweetspot sessions.

Now the hot weather is over and the forecast looks pretty rubbish for next week, I'll be back on Zwift! :cool:

Caporegime
So my Vortex has started the infamous clicking. Still works, but a really really noisy clicking at low speeds. Very irritating. Plenty of info about it on the net. Does make you wonder why they haven't solved/fixed this issue yet though as it's been around for a fair while.

Anyway, sent a video of it to Tacx support and they're shipping a new part :).

Permabanned
Someone is selling a Tacx Satori Trainer for £60 on a local Facebook page. Would this be ideal for using on Zwift and has anyone here used one before, thoughts?

Soldato
Just make sure its a Satori SMART. I think they were available as dumb & FE-C.

Rode KISS (B) last night, was late jumping on and had to wait for a Zwift update, so around 3-4 mins warm up before in the start pen with 1 min 30s before race start! Hardly long enough to sort all my bits out (headphones & towel etc), nevermind free up the legs! :o

https://www.strava.com/activities/1057129190/
https://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=8730

Went out hard but reserved to not get utterly dropped, ended up on 2nd or 3rd group on the road and sat in for the next ~8 mins to warm up before the first ascent of Box. Fairly good group of 10-15 of us but even going easy I was finding myself at the front more than I wanted, things blew apart on Box so I put a bit of an effort in to see if I could close much of a gap to the next group up the road. No joy. But by the top of Box I'd forced bit of a selection with me clear and another 2 only a few seconds in front, I closed the gap to them on the descent. Most of the next lap was ridden hard trying to manage the gap we had and again try to close up to some up the road, some big pulls I got it down to 15s but the two with me were struggling so I did much of the work. A couple more riders joined us shortly before the second time up Box, I rested as much as possible just before it as I knew what was coming... Sure enough the two I'd caught got dropped fast so I had to try and hold the wheels of the two who'd caught me. Tough climb, they started to drop me towards the top but once the steepest gradient was over I stood, sprinting to put an effort in to catch them on the last drag to the summit. Ended up hitting it hard and passing them but they caught me on the descent. We caught and passed two other riders soon after, on the run in towards the finish one of the guys dropped back so it was just myself and Stuart left, we'd done the lions share of the work on the climb anyway so it was good that the two of us got to sprint it out. He went long and I couldn't hold his wheel, I was still able to sprint but fading very quickly. Nobody was near enough (this time!) to pass me on the line (which usually happens when I attempt to go long!).

Finished around 9th or 10th. 300W power curve for 20 minutes. Great race & pleased with my legs considering the lack of warm up with fatigue from sundays long ride still being there! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Found this so putting it in here for future use! Hopefully get in my cave later! ;)

Associate
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of the Wahoo KICKR SNAP Smart Turbo Trainer? My old trainer is starting to die (lots of clicking, when the fly wheel is turning, resistance seems really wrong and it's getting louder) so was thinking of getting a new one. Currently I connect to a PC using ANT+ but would probably use my tablet/ phone with this so does that work ok with iOS and Zwift?

Soldato
No direct experience but then equally I've not heard anything 'bad' about the SNAP so it'll operate fine. DCR's blog about products is quite a good place to start - the comments sections below each generally discuss the regular problems people face and compatibility/quality issues if not mentioned in his review generally are discussed there.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/06/wahoo-kickr-snap.html#comments

June 2015 said:
Overall the KICKR SNAP is definitely a welcomed entrant into the smart trainer market. The price point at $350 cheaper than the original KICKR is also interesting, though it does enter a more crowded market segment than a year ago. These days you’ve got the very capable Tacx Bushido Smart and Tacx Vortex Smart Trainers, which have many of the same features as the KICKR SNAP, but at a lower price (especially in Europe).

The main advantage the KICKR SNAP has though (and it’s a HUGE one) is application compatibility. No company is more supported in 3rd party apps today than the Wahoo Trainer. Now that might well change over the coming months as trainer app companies gear up for the fall season and head into Eurobike & Interbike (late August/mid September). In that sense, Wahoo is a touch bit early with the KICKR SNAP compared to when most companies announce trainer products (Eurobike/Interbike).

Associate
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of the Wahoo KICKR SNAP Smart Turbo Trainer? My old trainer is starting to die (lots of clicking, when the fly wheel is turning, resistance seems really wrong and it's getting louder) so was thinking of getting a new one. Currently I connect to a PC using ANT+ but would probably use my tablet/ phone with this so does that work ok with iOS and Zwift?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waV9l2wMANM & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMXY1Eud8ks
Covers them very well imo.

Soldato
First Zwift race for a month last night. I've been 'waiting' for some cooler weather to be honest, although that doesn't mean I've been riding outside - I've been quite slack about midweek (after work) riding recently! :o

https://www.strava.com/activities/1103037517/analysis/24/3438
https://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=9815

EVR (B). I got a good 15+ minute warm up, I've fitted some clip on aerobars so this was the first real session on them. I've found them good for 'power' kinda efforts but not really for sweetspot/tempo work. The more rolled hips forward position is uncomfortable on the nose of my saddle, the power efforts I've put in I've been carrying more weight on my elbows to reduce the pressure - even riding semi-raised out of the saddle. I think raising my saddle and swapping back to my Fizik Arione will be best as it has a smoother & flatter nose.

1 minute to go for some reason I panicked thinking I was in the wrong race, signing up as I'd been quite early I'd clicked and joined on the first EVR I'd seen on my screen with it being 'E' category (all CATs together, mass start). For some reason (& ride leader kept saying 'make sure you've joined the right race!') I thought I'd wrongly joined CAT C. I went into menu and considered stopping my ride to rejoin. Thought I had 15s to go and completely stationary I see everyone ride away in the background! Argh!

I lost another 5-10s getting out of menu before putting in an effort to chase back on. I was 45s down on the first real group of riders in front with a few stragglers scattered around. I put in a hard but constant effort to close the group down before resting in their wheels, assuming this was the CAT D group. I used a slight rise as a launchpad for my next effort to catch the next group upfront (assuming CAT C). Once bridged I realised these guys where pushing on and possibly some mixed CAT B/C group, with the climb coming up I stuck with them. The group blew apart on the climb and I chased wheels figuring I'd stick with anyone looking strong. The next lap the group really didn't reform with 2-3 of us scattered around and I really struggled to ride with anyone. I resigned to chasing down the next group up the road, around 2 minutes up and with most of them pushing/holding 3 - 4.5w/kg I knew it was a big ask! By the end of the race I'd closed the gap to around 20-30s catching and passing 2-3 riders dropped from the group. I finished 30s down on them and 30s infront of the rider behind me, at one point he had closed to 10s so I put an effort in at the last 2 mile point to distance him as I didn't think I had a big sprint in me.

Not that many riders in the race (40-50?) and according to ZP only only 12 in CAT B with me finishing 5th. Happy with that considering it was mostly solo, know the guy who got 2nd and have ridden before with him so I should've been up there if not missing the start! Doh! :rolleyes: :cool:

Associate
Quick question:
Currently looking at both a kickr snap or kickr direct drive.
Which would you suggest for me if I were to be looking at using it 3 times a week min?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom