The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
The other night the entire Zwift world collapsed as it was cold and wet and everyone jumped online - hopefully the extra cash will go to buying better servers that don't fall over at first sight of any load.

Caporegime
Well the zwift price hike solved any niggling thoughts I ever had about trying Zwift again.

When I return to cycling I think I'll investigate Fulgaz, (but probably go back to SF). Anyone used it?

Soldato
Heard good things initially about FG but nothing for a while. WGT (WorldGrandTours) looks good but still very new. Sufferfest is great but I think the pricing model similar is to the new Zwift pricing now so still overpriced really. It's still new as they've changed very little since release.

Discuss new wheels in here.

How awesome will the front one look on the bike and the back one leant against the wall when you’re on the trainer?!
Just buy a second matching rear wheel? :D

I've actually got a Roval SL45 rear I'm going to use on the turbo when I can source a DT 11-speed freehub for it (without spending £60+). DT ratchet hub & Aero! Can then flog off my old Giant wheels to keep her happier... ;)

Just got an email saying Zwift subs are going up but as I’ve been supporting them for a while it won’t go up for another year. :confused:
Existing subs continue for year before getting hiked up to match.

That said to almost double the cost is quite a big leap and considering the speed (or lack of) at which expansions & features are added or refined and the occasional instability their level of service will need to increase too.
Their concentration recently has been on the iPad release and now the one for AppleTV. Neither of which have any interest for me or bearing on how loads of existing subscribers used Zwift, so it does feel like nothing has happened recently, except the Volcano and Jungle expansions. They have said there is a new world on the horizon.

The iPad release has exploded the userbase dramatically, which is great, although to me it now feels slightly like they've over extended themselves and having to hike the prices to improve stability/resilience.

The other night the entire Zwift world collapsed as it was cold and wet and everyone jumped online - hopefully the extra cash will go to buying better servers that don't fall over at first sight of any load.
That the time it coincided with the Ride with Gripel event? 1500+ riders joining the event is what they said broke things. Worryingly that's quite a small number in principle (we're seeing races with 500+ riders very regularly) & I'd expect more large scale events appearing over winter... Hope they've totally fixed whatever the fault was! :o

Caporegime
Heard good things initially about FG but nothing for a while. WGT (WorldGrandTours) looks good but still very new. Sufferfest is great but I think the pricing model similar is to the new Zwift pricing now so still overpriced really. It's still new as they've changed very little since release.
Aye SF isn't the cheapest, I wouldn't mind paying the full wack for Zwift either except for its many faults that I've listed before as not liking do not appear to be being improved, and a 62% increase is just bonkers for vague promises of improvements. If they published a roadmap and said "part of this increase is to quadruple the number of hamsters running our servers" that would at least be a tangible thing that I could decide whether it was worth it or not.

No, when I'm able to cycle again I'll try Fulgaz if I can get a decent apple emulator running (certainly not buying a Mac for it), or just go back to SF. And I'll keep tabs on WGT, but what I've seen of it thusfar it looks like cartoony, a la Zwift.

Soldato
Reading what DCR said about FG, you have to be using a Tacx or Wahoo trainer as well as it only designed for iPad. The only other trainers compatible have to be BT Smart (not standard ANT+ FE-C) and even then you have to be quite careful about what's compatible.

I find WGT nowhere near as cartoony as Zwift. I'm kinda hoping as the development continues the graphics improve as the epic real world detailed looking landscapes are the main draw of it. They still look quite basic compared to a modern game engine, quite why they didn't use an existing platform/engine (like Unreal) is beyond me. It would've saved them a lot of work and given them loads more tools?!

Caporegime
Reading what DCR said about FG, you have to be using a Tacx or Wahoo trainer as well as it only designed for iPad. The only other trainers compatible have to be BT Smart (not standard ANT+ FE-C) and even then you have to be quite careful about what's compatible.

I find WGT nowhere near as cartoony as Zwift. I'm kinda hoping as the development continues the graphics improve as the epic real world detailed looking landscapes are the main draw of it. They still look quite basic compared to a modern game engine, quite why they didn't use an existing platform/engine (like Unreal) is beyond me. It would've saved them a lot of work and given them loads more tools?!
Oh that does look pretty good actually.

Well I've asked for a beta invite, hopefully get one for January/Feb.

Soldato
Zwift Power has changed, results don’t seem to be public but registration is also closed?

Did the KISS B last night, group split into three at the start and I was in group 2. Had an alright ride but needed to go harder at the start, I was trying to manage my watts to avoid blowing up before the group eases.

Soldato
WGT looks OK in pics but the reality at the mo is that it's runs in single figure fps at times while riding on me tod with low graphics on the same system that runs Zwift @ 1080 setting with 100+ riders doing a group ride. It's unoptomised and the interface is a couple of years behind Zwift.

Still I like the idea of simulated real locations and will keep trying the system while it's a free Beta if it gives them data to work with. Doing a ride in WGT with no riders present made me realise just how much you compare yourself to other people and automatically try harder as a result.

Associate
Well the zwift price hike solved any niggling thoughts I ever had about trying Zwift again.

When I return to cycling I think I'll investigate Fulgaz, (but probably go back to SF). Anyone used it?

I’ve used FulGaz for a bit and really like it. I’m now a contributor on there (I was out in France this summer and recorded a few climbs). The range of videos available has grown quite a lot, long rides, short rides, flats, mountains etc. Galibier was added recently for example. I still use zwift too but FulGaz mixes it up and is (now) a lot cheaper.

Caporegime
Well I'm going to risk a turbo on monday after seeing the doc/phsyio this coming thursday, decided I'd re-enable TR before SF as there are a large number of short workouts and I'm less likely to go mad without the SF video egging me on!

Soldato
It's been a while since I caught up in here... I've also been pretty slack about Zwift riding recently with my recent rides being group rides and not races.

I've tended to jump on the WBR rides when I find them, they're a great bunch, good leaders and some banter too. Starting to get to know some of the regulars which is great, I usually find myself shepherding and keeping at the rear trying to help dropped riders bridge back up as most of the time the rides are rated at 2.5w/kg, so good tempo riding for me as a CAT B.

Not a huge amount of threshold riding, but with getting less sleep due to the little one I've needed less recovery kinda time. My fitness is dropping though, almost noticeably when I ride with anyone else/the club! :(

Goodluck Russ! Take it easy, concentrate on movement & flexibility rather than power :)

Soldato
I did the WBR at 5pm today, C grade winner! London flat course so good for me, just punch up the little slope towards the end of the lap and the rest is flat.

I was 2nd on the live zwift results but on the zwiftpower I am the winner, perhaps the guy who won didn’t have HR monitor.

He must have jumped early as won the sprint by 2 seconds, I came from further back with more speed to pass everyone else.

I managed a max of 199bpm.... :o

Soldato
I did the WBR at 5pm today, C grade winner!
Winner winner chicken dinner! Congrats buddy! See, told you to race in B...! ;)

I rode last night too, did the WBR 2w/kg training ride as a social one doing some keeping/sweeping as missed the race starts.

I can barely ride at 7 (finishing work at 5 then home & food), yet racing at 9 is too late for me (6am work alarm). There's a huge gap in the weekday evening race programme with no 'races' between 8-9, only training rides if I miss the 8pm races. #diddums

Soldato
Friday night is beer & pizza night so I don't really Zwift on Fridays... I'm also off to the rugby (Wales vs SA) on saturday so want to feel rested.

Probably going to ride tonight if I can, will depend on mini^me what ride/race I end up on. Can't ride saturday so fingers crossed I can make up my weekly target mileage on sunday. :o

Back
Top Bottom