The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
350w averages up the 2 min climb, my best was almost 500! :(

Need a B- grade 3.0-3.49w and B+3.5-4.0
Oooosh, yeah that'll take it's toll, would even on me! The course you raced wasn't exactly very forgiving! Those are the races which hurt just to be towards the front, I find I have nothing left to attack with like on the flat courses, so great work! :D

There's times in B I have to hit those climbs at 5w/kg just to stick with the group as I don't weight-dope like most seem to...! :rolleyes:

My calves are sore because I got cramps but just rode through it (cos obviously any easing up mid race would mean you might as well just stop and give up) - there's generally a price to pay for that and I'm paying it right now. I usually ride into work on a Friday but today I've had to drive because my calves are super tight and painful.

Yes the categories can be quite wide ranging - I tend to come out of races at 3.2 to 3.4 (ftp is around 3.5w/kilo) but there's an absolute world of space between me and the 3.8/3.9 guys - they're bloody miiiiilles ahead. My timings are all well clear of the fastest cat C's - but I have to absolutely kill myself to get into the middle of a B pack.
I found C riding almost pure w/kg riding and maintaining power which generally/quickly put me outside of cat limits and DQ. In B the racing is much more tactical, more frequently the best placed riders are those who raced smartest.

With smaller races and most of the powerful guys riding outside in the spring I placed quite well, now my fitness has lost a bit of an edge, the fields are larger and lots of guys with their summer fitness are racing again I struggle to get myself anywhere near the top 1/3 of B races by my power & w/kg alone (which have dropped a little). I can't hold the 4w/kg with 5w/kg kicks required, but get me in a pack 3-3.5w/kg racing I can do the 5w/kg kicks and still bust out a 8-10w/kg long sprint at the end.

It's just getting in the right group I'm struggling with at the moment... I'm either busting a gut to get up the road, chasing and fatiguing myself, or I'm the strongest in the group and end up doing lots of turns & trying to distance them rather than getting a tow... :rolleyes: :D

Associate
Quick question. especially for those of you with a Kickr.
When in the big ring, is each cog of the cassette smooth?
Especially the 3 smallest gears (hardest gears).

Soldato
Yes with my kickr mine was. Needed a few turns on the RD before it was perfect.

Zwift playing silly buggers again today, login and no other riders shown & didn’t join the event...

I also need an ANT+ dongle driver, Garmin don’t seem to have one. The dongle works fine but windows 7 throws a usb error device when you boot up with it plugged in and it’s not recognised in device manager... hmm.

Soldato
Quick question. especially for those of you with a Kickr.
When in the big ring, is each cog of the cassette smooth?
Especially the 3 smallest gears (hardest gears).

Couldn't tell you as I'm mostly in ERG mode truth be told :o and my chain needs replacing currently. I dread to think what it sounds like (headphones).

Soldato
Practise race-craft ;)

Do as little as possible until the end. Something something something about being prepared to lose...
Oh I know, but for me racing is just a form of training. I enjoy the competition and excitement but I'm not that fussed by actual results so I ride to however I'm feeling. Usually my 'racing' is against those riders in the group with me - trying to break away on climbs, beating them in sprints and closing gaps. I could be at 5th or 50th place and I still ride/race pretty much the same.

Zwift playing silly buggers again today, login and no other riders shown & didn’t join the event...

I also need an ANT+ dongle driver, Garmin don’t seem to have one. The dongle works fine but windows 7 throws a usb error device when you boot up with it plugged in and it’s not recognised in device manager... hmm.
Boot priority in BIOS? Remove USB from the boot list to avoid the error.

Zwift had quite a big outage over the weekend, looks like the cause was the ALS group ride with Gripel, Marcus Berghart & Thomas De Gent. 1500+ riders all trying to join the same event put a bit of a strain on things...!

Soldato
Bios boot priority won’t affect windows ;) I expected there to be a little Ant+ driver online but there isn’t.

I did have it plugged into the front additional USB ports to try and get a better signal.

I’ll try the rear motherboard mounted ones with an extension cable as that’s the setup I used before.

Soldato
Ahh, I took the 'windows 7 throws a usb error device when you boot up with it plugged in' as being a boot error. It could be the adaptor itself is dying/dead of course!

I'm using a Suunto Movistick @SoliD sold me several years ago, still going strong and no issues. It's been through Vista, W7, W8.1 and now W10.

Some info here on Zwift forums, including a link to ant pages on how to reinstall the driver.

Soldato
I'm in the US. I'm just trying to not be fatter when I leave :p
Impossible when everything comes served with maple bacon.

I didn't get on last night anyway, fingers crossed tonight. Although I'm off work tomorrow so may just do a daytime session then... Saturday looks like rain & a cold start forecast for the club ride so if I'm skipping that I might be back on Zwift saturday morning too. But If I skip the club ride I won't be going back to the shop to discuss new wheels... Dilemma!

Soldato
Discuss new wheels in here.

How awesome will the front one look on the bike and the back one leant against the wall when you’re on the trainer?!

I did the 6pm hare and hounds ride which is a handicap race. The B group is 3.0-3.5w so perfect for me and the London course so short hills. Punched along well and I think we won? However the results are a bit of a mess at the minute, we didn’t get caught by A grade, but Zwift hasn’t shown me your placing on the right hand side like it did for a short while so I don’t know if we caught all of D grade.

Happy with my average power and sprint power after doing FA training!

Soldato
Just got an email saying Zwift subs are going up but as I’ve been supporting them for a while it won’t go up for another year. :confused:

I saw people talking of an increase but I have nothing yet. Been a subscriber for 18-20 months now.

If it’s £7 or £10 a month it doesn’t really bother me that much. A one off visit to a gym is about 6 quid a go!

Soldato
No one likes or wants to pay more but to me it seems a good move. A few pounds extra per month to support an expanding, feature rich indoor training environment :thumbs up:

Soldato
Agreed, an increase is warranted considering how popular it's become and the resource required to run the operation has increased.

That said to almost double the cost is quite a big leap and considering the speed (or lack of) at which expansions & features are added or refined and the occasional instability their level of service will need to increase too.

My sub has been £8~ for a year or so and like Bear it'll stay at that price for a further 12 months. I also use TR and even combined they're cheaper than most gym memberships.

It's an incentive for more people to use their trainer more too :p

Man of Honour
I was just about to buy my dad a years gift card this week as well, what timing :mad:

It doesn't bother me really, I paid up front for a year so I have no monthly cost but will be annoying next year. Although given how much use I get out of it, it really isn't much of an increase at all

Back
Top Bottom