The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
I got the 12 days of zwiftmas knocked out day 6 as it is the best prize, a Kickr and Kickr Climb up for grabs.

Did the sub 2 ride, but I struggle to pedal that lightly, loads of other people just riding along not with the bunch so I did the same and tapped it out in under an hour, fingers crossed now!

Soldato
Thanks Benny.

Still getting to grips with it all, I noticed the course changes today to Watopia. I'll have a crack at that tomorrow, heading out on the real bike today :)

It's come on a long way in the last year or so. Quite a few of the HUD's have changed and the pre-ride menu's now show the maps route etc.

You can lock the 'world'/course within the Prefs file. I just leave mine fixed to Watopia as on the off chance I do actually pay attention it's the most interesting terrain. Normally I'm looking at a different screen for TV/Films :)

Soldato
I'm slowly getting the hang of Zwift, although there are many things I dont quite get yet....

- if you pass a huge bunch of riders, is that some sort of event/race?
- why do some riders have a weird screen thing in front of them, and others dont?
- I dont get drafting at all. I dont know if my rider is drafting or not. It says 'close the gap', then nothing happens....
- why is there no count down to the sprints etc? I had a bash at one properly today and saw my name 7th out of 1000+ at one point. How often does it reset?

I'll probably think of more questions when I ride more!

I'll have a go at a race sometime soon, but I want to get as many miles in at the end of the year :)
Come race with me, I need a good wheel to follow! Fully expecting you to storm through CAT B straight up to A. There will be no point you entering D (like I did). You could try a C race to see how things work and get to grips with it, but I'll tell you now you're a strong B rider and will be very competitive even when learning the ropes. Same with Benny & Berger! You're all as strong or stronger than me and now I've got the hang of tactics I'm quite a competitive mid/strong B.

- If you see a big bunch then it's possibly a race or training ride, or even just a group of guys riding together. Races and training rides are still 'in' the same world. Depending on race setup they may or may not be able to draft you, but you can draft them. I've done it before when trying to bash out some long rides to get distance back on target - get a nice tow and sit in! The tow/drag dynamics are very biased towards sitting in. Sometimes all the guys/gals in a race/ride will all have the same jersey on. Other times not.
- It's a workout screen, they're following a plan either solo or as part of a group. The colour of their screen also shows you what they're doing - Blue is just spinning, Green is powering in a workout, Yellow they're sweet spotting, Red means high HR/going full out, Grey they're resting. Think they might also equate to HR zones?!
- Close the gap and although you won't 'feel' anything you'll find speed is more easily maintained if you ease, even for prolonged periods you can maintain speed at far lower wattages. In racing as you're travelling so fast the power difference is pretty huge, I'll be doing 4.5w/kg and guys drafting at 2.5w/kg easily keeping pace.
- Yeah sprints are a bit annoying, you can usually see a line on the road where they start and sometimes a sign at the side of the road. You'll tend to learn where they are, rather than 'look' for them as by the time you see it's not enough time to wind things up. Sprints & KOM's 'reset' every 30 minutes, but that's rider time. Basically your time on the 'current' leaderboard is only valid for 30 mins from you posting it. Same for getting the 'jerseys' that the fastest rider gets for the KOM/sprint and those for certain routes (like volcano jersey, pretzel/climb jersey). There's several different ones. I think even one for most of the 'routes' which you can select?

Did the sub 2 ride, but I struggle to pedal that lightly, loads of other people just riding along not with the bunch so I did the same and tapped it out in under an hour, fingers crossed now!
Pffft! Don't be one of *those* guys! At the moment ride leaders can't kick them out of rides but they used to be able to. If you can't follow the ride 'rules' then don't bother joining the ride! In future leaders will have more power again and tools, auto DQ'ing riders from 'results' which will affect them in Zwift rather than just the current DQ in ZP.

My first race in the CVR league tonight. Listed in Zone E (UK & Europe) Bracket D (as not placed in any of the winter races they did).

Soldato
Wow 200+ club!

I just wanted in on the competition roadie! I thought they would have just let you ride the course in your own time but group rides only!

Had a few other riders disappear and reappear tonight. Either poor internet my end or zwift server... 5000 people online almost which is the most I’ve seen! Just rode round easy, save for a 5 minute effort in the middle.

Soldato
I've done a bunch of rides/races over the break but the last couple have really ramped things up! Really felt that with my mileage reduction & baby stuffs that my riding was on the decline but although I've lost 'fitness' I still have some good 1-2hr endurance and power. Back up to near what I was end of summer, at least from an FTP kinda level. I do feel more fatigued but that could also be from less sleep/broken sleep from the baby.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1334096767
The one which kicked it off was a Team training ride with RaceWBR using the World hack to ride on Richmond as Watopia was really busy with the zFondo happening so we segregated ourselves away. Practiced sprint lead outs and slingshotting each other while discussing race tactics (~12 riders). Finished with a 3 vs 3 race for those of us left on. Each team had a domestique, a lead out man and a sprinter. Our team plan was for me to break away on the climb to test the other team as they had the best sprinter, they didn't chase deciding to sit in and mark out our sprinter. So I was left out the front, our sprinter lost connection so our tactical options went out the window - I managed to stay away for a lap and a half, but they caught me in the final sprint making up 20s easily with their leadout. Hadn't buried myself that deep & long for several weeks on Zwift. I don't normally go that deep on there. :o

https://www.strava.com/activities/1337862956
Next was last nights CVR World Cup. My first race in CVR (missed any of the warm up & test season over winter) so I've been put in 'Cat D' (the Cats in CVR don't exactly relate to Zwift Cats). I'll progress up from there to probably C or maybe even B (where I am usual Zwift racing). I could manually 'upgrade' at this stage but as you can't 'downgrade' I'm going to just leave it as I'm unsure how many of the races I can do.

Race went well, long big selection at the start (mass start) and I found myself in a big B, C & D group with several WBR team mates. Messaged most of them and put some tactics together, first time up the climb the group splintered and Jason Felton (WBR teammate) was riding strong, when things regrouped on the flats the group was thinned, so next time up the climb he burst off the front. I held near the front with 3-4 other strong riders, then I kicked over the top and made it up to him with 1 other. We worked well together, dropping the random and the way Jason was climbing (4.5-5w/kg) was strong enough to keep away, I did some big long turns towing him on the flats. Lap 3 he held slightly on the climb for me but I told him to carry on as a small group behind where catching. By the climb on the 4th lap they where 7s down on us and I'd put a big effort into the base of the climb for Jason, I told him to continue resigning myself to being caught. Just over the top 3 riders came past and I jumped on their wheels. The next few miles we maintained a 8-9s gap to the group behind and slowly reeled Jason in, then another 2 riders up the road from him (one of them a WBR team mate - Alan). Over the esses I put a long pull in to stretch things and lost two of the riders off the back, one of them regained the group just as things lead out into the sprint finish between 6 of us, I somehow had a sprint in me still and overtook 1, finishing second to Alan and Jason 2 places behind me. Shame he and Alan (who'd eased for us) couldn't get away for better results (both top 20 in C). Very happy with my 8th in D! :)

I just wanted in on the competition roadie! I thought they would have just let you ride the course in your own time but group rides only!

Had a few other riders disappear and reappear tonight. Either poor internet my end or zwift server... 5000 people online almost which is the most I’ve seen! Just rode round easy, save for a 5 minute effort in the middle.
Well it's a 'group training ride' so generally lead by a leader to keep the riders together. All benefiting from the group draft and riding for each other, if you don't wanna ride in a group then not much point joining a group ride? :D

Riders vanishing & coming back is getting a more and more frequent problem, most of the time before it's been blamed on connection or sketchy wifi signal but so many people are seeing it when Zwift servers are busy that Zwift Support have started blaming it on connections with a high latency to their LA Server, anything over 50ms is 'bad'. I've had no problems with mine but even then it's 130-150ms. Not much we can do about geography! :(

Yeh but only 200k. Done more than that before on a real bike. I WILL do 200 miles at some point this year (hopefully on real bike!)
Probably easier on Zwift as you can have everything easily on hand for that time in the saddle without carrying loads with you. Quicker too!

Last edited:
Soldato
Without sounding too cocky, I think 200 miles would be relatively easy, it's just having the patience. And as you say, you can have plenty of water and food to hand, whenever you want it.

10 hours in the saddle though......ugh!

Soldato
4 hours in the saddle though... Ugh! ;) I've not done more than 3 a couple of times and they where really painful. Huge kudos to you already doing a load more than that! :o

Willpower and sit bone pain tolerance (& saddle sores) are the main challenges for me. I could keep hooked enough on Zwift, chatting to others, sticking a film on/catchup tv/catchup cycling, but the pain I experience from sit bone area just becomes unbearable. It takes me 5-6 hours to get to the same level when out on the road, on the turbo it's closer to 3, maybe 4 at a push. It's not saddle sores as such (had them before) but just continuous pressure/contact and abrasion of skin from my sit bone contact with the saddle. I've been through various saddles & shorts to eliminate saddles sores enough to get to this stage already. :o

I'm just too sensitive! :p

Soldato
Well that didn't go well! Thought I'd try a workout, wish I didn't! Managed to hang on for the first 18 minute 'tough interval', then gave up during the second.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1339356778

Still.....I did manage to put out 313W for 20 mins, which is still better than the first FTP I ever did at the beginning of 2017. Pretty chuffed with that considering my legs are knackered at the moment!

Soldato
Well that didn't go well! Thought I'd try a workout, wish I didn't! Managed to hang on for the first 18 minute 'tough interval', then gave up during the second.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1339356778

Still.....I did manage to put out 313W for 20 mins, which is still better than the first FTP I ever did at the beginning of 2017. Pretty chuffed with that considering my legs are knackered at the moment!

You're a strong rider, I'm not sure you were even trying in the first 20 mins looking at this segment:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1339356778/segments/33187020618

Even I'm quicker and that's saying something!! I'm starting to think I was born with more Tortoise genes than Hare genes, certainly since the cold weather came I just feel dog slow and lethargic, really hope my legs wake up when the milder Spring climate comes along.

Soldato
When I was on that particular lap, I was still doing the 10 min warmup, and by the time the second lap finished, I had finished the main interval, so I never did a full lap at full tilt, so to speak. My average for that lap was only 273W, hence the slower time. I'll have a crack at the full lap one day, maybe when I do my FTP test when I get back from my next overseas trip.

I think keeping on riding is the main help for me. I've riding almost as much in the Winter as in the Summer, cycling to work each day really helps too.

Soldato
Good numbers but wasn't that a ZZRC SUB 2.0 ride (checking ridden with)? :p

My average for that lap was only 273W, hence the slower time. I'll have a crack at the full lap one day, maybe when I do my FTP test when I get back from my next overseas trip.

I think keeping on riding is the main help for me. I've riding almost as much in the Winter as in the Summer, cycling to work each day really helps too.

'only' 273W :rolleyes: :p

My best time is 19:19, avg power 222W. Laughable in comparison! :p

It's not really a route and direction I ride as not many races use that course/direction. I've only 2 times on the segment, even with 2000+ miles logged on Zwift. :o

Having a regular commute helps a huge amount with base miles helping endurance. Even my short 2.4 mile commute equates to 50 miles a week as I ride home at lunchtime...

Last edited:
Soldato
Assuming people calibrate their relevant meters, then very I would say. Power is an absolute measurement in itself.

DCR did a test of the Atom, with a few different pedals (cant fit crank based systems for obvious reasons), and they were all incredibly close.

I will probably fit my Vector pedals to the Atom at some point, just to satisfy my curiosity, but I can't be bothered with the faffing about at the moment. And I'm not sure how I would measure the data from two different meters simultaneously.

Soldato
He uses an ANT+ capture device for his data reports, can't recall the exact name but you'll hear it mentioned if you read around. When riding he has several head units to display data.

Other riders I know have their Trainer reporting power on Zwift and then PWM's on headunits for things like pedalling metrics. Lots of others use PWM's for power on Zwift yet are using controllable trainers, ignoring the power reported by the trainer. PWM's are much more accurate than the majority of trainers. Also they're working with very close power measurements on Zwift during training as they're using when out on the road as they're using the same PWM for both.

What's the likelihood of Zwift power outputs from different trainers/setups actually being comparable?
Highly Unlikely. Even setups completely the same can have variation. Obviously much less variation than completely different setups...
Assuming people calibrate their relevant meters, then very I would say. Power is an absolute measurement in itself.
Nope nope nope! Afraid it's not that simple! Power itself is, but the measurement isn't!

Various different power meters work and measure power in different ways. For example crank based some use strain gauges, some measuring deflection (which I guess could even come from various different materials).

Turbo trainers are a different kettle of fish too - some of the 'high end' ones are even touted as using power meters to measure power, which obviously implies that the middle/lower end do not. My Vortex is an on wheel trainer, it's measuring the power at the 'end' of the power source as the wheel drives the unit around. Even being a 'smart' trainer the actual technology used in the Vortex is regarding rotation in the device, it's not measuring the power, only the result of it at the 'end'.

There has been much talk about zPower riders being DQ from races. They're 'dumb' trainers, those using speed & cadence sensors to calculate a power... Very similar to low-medium level smart trainers (like my Vortex)... Similar enough that there has also been talk of classifying those trainers which do not directly measure power being listed as zPower and DQ from results. I think they're loath to do it as the backlash would be huge as it's probably 30%, probably more, of 'smart' trainers out there being used in races! :o

Back
Top Bottom