The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
They should spend more time and effort explaining to people to enter the right weight (that's their weight right now, not the weight last time they measured 12 years ago) in their Zwift settings than fretting over people's trainers.

Soldato
Weight-doping is rife, as are those who sandbag. Fliers everywhere! You see randoms joining a sub2 training ride (with a ride leader) busting out the gates at 5w/kg and riding off into the sunset. Wut.

Hopefully organised leagues like CVR will see a reduction in it.

Soldato
Indeed. The only combat to this that I see - and it's pretty weak combat tbh, but it's better than nothing, is Zpower tracks the user tinkering with his/her weight. This isn't however a tool against the person who lops 5 kilos of his actual weight for Zwift right from day 1 and keeps it there.

I've just added a couple of kilos onto my rider weight in Strava and Zwift. I'm being fair with myself, and with everyone else.

Soldato
I weight 'doped' at one point - had my weight set at a conservative 75kg last winter (was probably closer to 77kg), I did drop as low as 70kg in the summer so I put that in for 1 race to see what difference it made on 21/10/17 and 1 on 24/10/17. My power figures pretty similar (16th A & 28th B places) to my races before 17/10/17 at 76.2kg (39th in B) and after 6/11/17 at 73.5kg (14th in B). It didn't really seem to make much difference to me (not that I changed it a huge amount).

Looks like I'm still set at 73.5kg which needs changing to 75kg lol, #comforteating :o

Last edited:
Soldato
One thing....how do people text/type so much when riding?! I'm amazed at how many messages people send, even when apparently doing big efforts!

Do most people use their phone using the zwift link app (or whatever it's called)?

Soldato
One thing....how do people text/type so much when riding?! I'm amazed at how many messages people send, even when apparently doing big efforts!

Do most people use their phone using the zwift link app (or whatever it's called)?
Zwift Mobile Link. That's what I use and I'm a chatterbox!

Some people are using laptops and wireless keyboards
This. Most 'ride leaders' will have a wireless board, some of the WBR ones I've seen even with multiples of customised hotkeys with pre entered text so they can lead without typing loads.

Last edited:
Associate
Tried the new Surrey Hills Route on Zwift tonight, was hard work, both ways over box hill and both ways over leith hill 40.8 Km, but for some reason it took me over box 3 times, ended up at 48Km.

Absolutely bushed now.

Enjoyed the route tho, deffinitely gonna be my 1st choice on zwift now.

Soldato
Tried the new Surrey Hills Route on Zwift tonight, was hard work, both ways over box hill and both ways over leith hill 40.8 Km, but for some reason it took me over box 3 times, ended up at 48Km.

Absolutely bushed now.

Enjoyed the route tho, deffinitely gonna be my 1st choice on zwift now.
Weird, I've seen a few rides from it and it does look good for climbing. I've not ventured there myself yet but I'm figuring it'll be 'open' to everyone later as the hack to get there was just changing iOS device date to today's date (9th Jan).

I've had rubbish sleep the last few days so not totally recovered from saturdays social ride and certainly not feeling fresh enough for CVR league race later. With the other half away today if I race CVR I won't see my little man until tomorrow morning (and probably end up in bad books) so I'm figuring to skip tonights race to continue recovery and feel better later in the week for something else. I'll also be in less trouble (I'm not in good books as was ~15 mins late back from saturdays social ride and she had to take lil man with her to a haircut). ;)

TLDR; saving my balls lol

Soldato
You've gotta stop calling your boy your little man - your little man round these parts means something else!!!

Anyway tonight I think I'm going to try out some rollers as opposed my usual static turbo trainer.

Much falling off and bad language awaits.....

Soldato
Tried the Surrey Hills route a bit earlier, doing 30 miles in total (I really don't like how you can choose a route that gives you a mileage, but then there is no clear finish point for that mileage you have chose), including a very gentle warm-down after repeating the route's first hill ("Fox Hill?").

I remembered to sort out a bottle of electrolyte drink for the ride and turn the fan on this time! :D

My legs are dead and my backside is killing me (but a new Fabric Scoop Flat Elite arrived just as I was about to start, will fit before next session)!

My Polar H7 HRM gave strangely low figures on the climbs before the Bluetooth connection via the Zwift Link app on my Nexus tablet died towards the end, typically 140-150bpm, compared to typically 150-180bpm doing real hill reps up Copsewood/Dell/Woodmill... Seriously thinking about taking a £24 punt at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M8QD9Z4 for an ANT+ HRM.

Soldato
The Wahoo Tickr is a great HRM, it just works.

I did a B race tonight but it was mass start with A grade, hung on but the bunch split and I was in the middle with the “B” guys. Few B grade stayed with A and got upgraded.

Pace slowed on laps 3&4, I could do another 0.2-0.3wkg but that won’t pull you away from anyone! Just got to roll the pace of others and wait for the end. 13th I think but a few ZP users above me. Ie 399w and a Hr of 113 I think not!

Edit: upgraded to 7th now. Need to be pushing 3.6-4.0wkg to be at the front end, 3.4 just pack fodder. My 15 sec and 1 min numbers up, must have been the hammering it out the start gates trying not to get dropped.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another recommendation for the TICKR. Probably the best early purchase I made (originally bought for BT use to iPhone, then ANT+ to ipbike on Android, then ANT+ to Garmin 810 and now ANT+ to Wahoo ELEMNT).

I originally got it for dual ANT+ and BT. Mine is 3+ years old (bought late 2014) and around 4 batteries old. It's had that much use my strap has started to lose it's elasticity and disintegrate from the sweat rotting it (eww!). I've washed my strap every month or so and the HRM unit has actually been through the wash twice by mistake and is still going strong. I'd happy buy another! :cool:

Have actually considered replacing with the TICKR X as its waterproof and if/when I got into swimming I could use it for that... Have considered taking up some running in future too, both would obviously work for that but the X can store data for later retrieval/sync so you can exercise with it away from a phone/head unit.

Just got to roll the pace of others and wait for the end. 13th I think but a few ZP users above me. Ie 399w and a Hr of 113 I think not!

Edit: upgraded to 7th now. Need to be pushing 3.6-4.0wkg to be at the front end, 3.4 just pack fodder. My 15 sec and 1 min numbers up, must have been the hammering it out the start gates trying not to get dropped.
Good work & result! Which race was it? Tuesday night is a good night for it as all of the really keen racers are doing CVR. I'm going to jump on later as I missed it and hoping most of the big strong guys are tired still! ;)

You really need to be able to hold 4.5-5 for attacks and then settle into 3.5-4 with no recovery to impact B races. Climbs are generally hit at 4 or more just to stick to the front of groups. I'll generally find myself holding 4.5 just to hold wheels of guys climbing/attacking at 5 or more. I'm barely hanging on and almost blowing up!

Last edited:
Soldato
The WBR 4 lap flat London. It’s a bit of a con as the warm up is another 7km full gas! I worked from home so could do an early race, 17:20.

Average 3.6w, 5 min 3.9, 1 min 5.1, 15 sec 8.1.

I went really hard at the start which probably burnt most of my matches, but the bunch did split at the start & I was in the front group.

The second group got back on, (before splitting again later in the lap and not making the split this time) its always a bit of a gamble, could have gone easier and chanced it but then you might see the top 30 spots riding away from you helpless.

Soldato
Has anyone else had trouble connecting the Zwift Mobile Link app to the Windows game this morning?

I lost the Bluetooth signal to my Polar H7 HRM towards the end of my Surrey Hills ride yesterday, at ~1652 GMT.

Through several rides this morning, I had the warning triangle next to the Mobile in the top left corner of the Zwift main menu, while trying to use either my tablet (that worked fine yesterday) or my mobile.

My Lezyne Super GPS picked up the HRM without issue and the recording looks fine, albeit silly me forgot to start recording when I started the short 20min FTP test!

Far from ideal preparation, I did my first ever short FPS test this morning, after I had done a warmup plus climbed Fox and Leith Hill (not to mention I've done ~12800 feet 116 and miles since Friday indoors and out, my most intensive 6 days in a while without a rest day)... The final 5mins were really tough, I don't know how I found the extra bit of power for the final minute, which has given me a rough ballpark of 219W (~2.8W/Kg).

... My legs are officially dead!

Edit: Decided to randomly reboot the broadband router a few minutes ago and Zwift Mobile Link is now working again!

Last edited:
Soldato
The WBR 4 lap flat London. It’s a bit of a con as the warm up is another 7km full gas! I worked from home so could do an early race, 17:20.
Ahh, this one. Yeah 'warm up' is nothing of the such, it's basically a race start zone where selection is often made. You did the right thing - sit with the leaders as depending who's up there will really depend if the chase group catches. Especially on a fairly flat course with a mixed start leading to a big strong front group.

297w NP, good work but you should be taking it easier! Looking at your HR, 171bpm avg and max of 191bpm. If your HR is anything like mine, 171bpm is pretty high but manageable but well into LTHR. 191bpm for me is blow up territory, it's not a figure I see very often as that high I'm absolutely at my limit racing for places/the line and looking at my HR is fairly low down my priorities! This race of mine is similar to yours regarding HR (ouch!) ;)

7 others finished around you, 4 of those DQ from ZP results, 3 because they've not registered (2 of them WBR so would expect them to eventually) and one for not wearing HR.

Far from ideal preparation, I did my first ever short FPS test this morning, after I had done a warmup plus climbed Fox and Leith Hill (not to mention I've done ~12800 feet 116 and miles since Friday indoors and out, my most intensive 6 days in a while without a rest day)... The final 5mins were really tough, I don't know how I found the extra bit of power for the final minute, which has given me a rough ballpark of 219W (~2.8W/Kg).

... My legs are officially dead!
I wouldn't do an FTP test with that many miles in your legs, it's not a fair representation of your Functional Threshold Power. You'll basically end up with a value too low so any training sessions you do will be too 'easy' unless you're in a similar fatigued state.

Be 'fresh' but not super fresh. I once made the mistake of doing an FTP test after around 3-4 days of rest, I'm only that rested a very small number of times in the year. I generally do my FTP tests now after 1 days rest with only normal commuting in the couple of days preceeding that rest day. I feel strong but equally I'm that 'rested' around a couple of times a month.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom