The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Associate
Sent my trainer back today, Tacx Flux, thought I’d escaped the bad bunch as I’ve had it since april but it had started clicking and squeaking loudly, should’ve just got a Neo at the start.

Had one last ride on it last night, the Zwift Tour stage 5. I’m riding on a 220 ftp (loose guess)at the moment so it was 1hr20 at about 200w.
Was with a large group at the top of Leith Hill, So thought I’d give it a big dig on the downslope but both my calves cramped up, had to do the final climb and descent of Box hill, with my heels pushed downward, not had cramp for a long while, bloody killed me..

At least i’ll get a good long rest now waiting for my trainer to get sorted

Last edited:
Soldato
Well that race was.....interesting!

I stayed with th front group for roughly half of the race, then I kind of wasn’t paying attention on one of the uphill drags and I got dropped. I found it really hard to judge the pacing. Sometimes I eased up a tad, then everyone would come past, so I put a bit more effort in and I find myself on the front of the pack again. It’s rrally hard to react in a way hence why as soon as the pack went off, I just couldn’t keep with it.
I found myself in no mans land for the rest of the ride, completely on my own.

I think I got ‘upgraded’ to the A group too, as I entered as a B.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1360281104

A few lessons learnt! As well as one day off isn’t enough recovery for racing ;)

Soldato
Sent my trainer back today, Tacx Flux, thought I’d escaped the bad bunch as I’ve had it since april but it had started clicking and squeaking loudly, should’ve just got a Neo at the start
Rubbish, was that with Tacx support or where you got it from? Any indication on which are the 'bad batch'? I've seen a load of them come up and sell on ebay over the past couple of weeks and am really interested to pick one up as I can't justify the RRP but would happy buy and deal with Tacx support (if needed). They're slow but otherwise good.

Has anyone ever done the Tour of Sufferlandria?
I had a couple of cracks at some of the stages last year as part of a free trial. There's a few who've done it in the general road thread so might be worth asking/mentioning there.

chasse-patate :)
Glad I googled that as I've seen it on Zwift a couple of times. One guy said it last night, we caught and dropped his ass a few miles later. Pwned!

haha

So looking at Zwiftpower table, apparently I was 15th in A category. I guess I'l take that for a first ever race ;)

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=37499
Impressive result and numbers - see told you, CAT A easily! But you'd do well to Race in B & C to get the hang of the draft and some tactics. The rubber-banding/slingshotting you saw is very much a Zwift thing and doesn't really translate into outside riding. It's because the draft effect on Zwift is so large. It takes a knack to judge a groups pace when you ease up on the front to not end up chasing back on 20s later.

Soldato
Yeh I've never really ridden with a group on Zwift before, so I never realised how much of an effect it can make (but if course it makes a huge different in real life too!)

As soon as the group were 4-5 seconds off, I had no chance of getting back on.

Are you doing any races next week?

I might do the Zwift Gran Fondo thing on Sunday if the weather is crap, two laps of the Pretzel course!!

Associate
Rubbish, was that with Tacx support or where you got it from? Any indication on which are the 'bad batch'? I've seen a load of them come up and sell on ebay over the past couple of weeks and am really interested to pick one up as I can't justify the RRP but would happy buy and deal with Tacx support (if needed). They're slow but otherwise good.

Sent it back to Wiggle, but they said they may need to forward it on to Tacx to diagnose the fault. Hope i'm not without it too long, don't really want to cycle outside in the cold and wet. Not sure on batch numbers, when I bought mine I read that sn:8617***** were free of initial problems, but it seems not.

Soldato
Weird, you think they'd just do a straight swap as it's only a few months old isn't it? They've flogged quite a few the last few weeks on their ebay page which typically is returns (so people not happy & sending them back).

Soldato
When my Neo broke I emailed Tacx & CRC, Tacx emailed me back the very next morning.

CRC took some chasing but collected it FOC and sent me a brand new one pretty quickly it just took a while to get there, filling out daft forms to return to them when I knew it was broken and explained it all already.

I have a noisy B.B. I think when pushing higher watts, one of those annoying hard to tell knocking creaky noises.

Had a few days away, had a zwift tonight, 50km, twice up the Volcano climb (20km in between), within 9 seconds of each other with the second time being slightly faster, and almost smack on 4w/kg average, pretty happy with that, now if only I wasn’t so heavy compared to racesnake weight!

Soldato
Good to hear Tacx feedback, thanks! How do you rate your Neo vs the KICKR you have/had before? I'm still on the fence and probably not allowed buy anything expensive until there's a deal in the summer. May go the Flux or reconditioned KICKR route as heard there's so many problems with Direto. I trust Tacx and Wahoo more than Elite. :o

Spotted a lol Zwift Strava segment name.

Also bought one of these for work - iiyama 27" 1ms 1080p monitor for <£200. Really really nice and I'm quite tempted to replace the crappy 22" TV I'm using for Zwift with one. I ideally want 2 HDMI inputs but not many of the 38" smart TV's I looked at had VESA mounts, 2 inputs and low response for much below £300.

Soldato
Good to hear Tacx feedback, thanks! How do you rate your Neo vs the KICKR you have/had before? I'm still on the fence and probably not allowed buy anything expensive until there's a deal in the summer. May go the Flux or reconditioned KICKR route as heard there's so many problems with Direto. I trust Tacx and Wahoo more than Elite. :o

Spotted a lol Zwift Strava segment name.

Also bought one of these for work - iiyama 27" 1ms 1080p monitor for <£200. Really really nice and I'm quite tempted to replace the crappy 22" TV I'm using for Zwift with one. I ideally want 2 HDMI inputs but not many of the 38" smart TV's I looked at had VESA mounts, 2 inputs and low response for much below £300.

The Neo is quieter, I like how it rocks slightly, think it helps reduce saddle soreness rather than being locked in place.

The underlighting is a gimic, it doesn’t detract but doesn’t add anything.

The force feedback is OK.

If they were the same price I’d pick the Neo. If the Kickr was more than £100 less and noise wasn’t a problem I’d have a Kickr:

Edit: why do some zwift races have all riders shown & some only show other racers.

Just tried to race now but it is impossible, the avatar is all over the road drafting anything and you can’t tell who you’re racing with. Got dropped from the front but then impossible to pickup the next group as you can’t distinguish who they are!

Last edited:
Soldato
What problems have you heard with Direto?
Just going by general consensus, mostly from Zwift groups on Facebook. Think there where loads of firmware issues due to dropouts and accuracy (drift) they where working on. Unsure how far along they are with things.

WBR race this morning, kinda messed it up letting the majority of B group go on a downhill section - i chose not to chase, big mistake.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1365762378

Hey ho - it's still good mileage in the bank. :)
Easily done, if you miss a surge/lose a draft while easing on power and slightly distracted = dropped like a stone! :)

If they were the same price I’d pick the Neo. If the Kickr was more than £100 less and noise wasn’t a problem I’d have a Kickr:

Edit: why do some zwift races have all riders shown & some only show other racers.

Just tried to race now but it is impossible, the avatar is all over the road drafting anything and you can’t tell who you’re racing with. Got dropped from the front but then impossible to pickup the next group as you can’t distinguish who they are!
Yeah damn annoying to race when all the other riders are shown. It's all down to the race organiser configuring their setup if they're shown or not.

Thanks for the Neo & Kickr comparison/experience. I'm edging towards the Kickr or Flux, but need to ensure compatibility with thru axle for future use. Will hopefully be hunting down deals in the summer/fall. Know/trust Wahoo/Tacx so will probably stick with them, possibly looking at refurbished Kickrs.

Soldato
Easily done, if you miss a surge/lose a draft while easing on power and slightly distracted = dropped like a stone! :)

That's exactly what happened - I think I was taking a drink and peered at the screen out of the corner of my eye - saw them pushing, by the time I got my bottle back in and hands on the bars I was toast. I kept going and caught a few stragglers on the next climb but the pack was gone.

Soldato
New London Leigh hill expansion is alright, climbs need some more scenery to spice them up a bit.

800m elev in 40km though, leg burner since I’ve just been doing flat races!

Soldato
CVR week 4 last night. Bracket C. First flat course of the league so far so we expected a large sprint finish! Handful of WBR on Discord and we didn't really have a sprinter but quite a few stronger riders so knew we'd have a few up front. We decided to hit the underpass hard every lap to try and thin things (it's followed by a slight drag uphill), then see who was left at the last lap for a long leadout/escape attempt before the sprint.

Tough selection at the start but we had at least 10 riders in the large 40-50 rider 'front' group. Drifting around the front of the group there were several WBR names prominent who I've raced with the last couple of weeks so I knew we had the firepower with Jason Feltus, Ross Hetherington, Baxter Phillips & Chris Rees up there. All riders I knew could ride as hard as I do! Jason & Ross lighter than me had both ridden superbly the previous 2 hilly races but I knew they may need a tow/leadout to remain in contention at the end. I teamed up with Jason mainly in our underpass tactic, leading him out various lengths before the ramp and further into the race actually up the ramp. Each time we did it things thinned out and by the final lap the main group was down to below 30 riders with us only losing 1 WBR (Dan O'Shea) who wasn't on Discord and had missed most of our 'front' & 'go go go' calls. A WBR not on Discord (gwilym llewellyn) did well to stick with us. I was at the front of the gap to Dan when it appeared, with it around 8s I had a moral dilemma to drop and help him close it (dragging 3-4 others with him) or keeping pace and increasing it. Without him on comms I kicked and jumped a couple of others making his gap 10s+. A tough call, but this is racing and closing that gap may not have worked & ruined my chances of finishing towards the front! ;)

For the final time through the underpass we held back, saving our power ramping until just before the drag afterwards. This worked well as all the other teams/riders sitting in expected us to go sooner and had ramped up in preparation to stick with us. It ended up them briefly leading us out onto the ramp! We hit it hard, dropping them all with me leading Jason out (strong elastic!) but I tired early only just making it to the top of the ramp before getting caught. Baxter had an unlucky dropout but Ross was up there. I feared more riders coming past, really felt like I was getting swamped but the numbers where low and most didn't push through. The couple which did didn't break away soon being reeled in. I had to rest for a sprint, easing up but conscious of losing a wheel in this 10 rider group.

At 0.3 to go speed kicked up and things started to string out, at 0.2 I had to kick as several others where going quite early but then eased slightly to hold their wheels. Ross came past me with 2 green jerseys (CHOCK) on his wheel. I'd been conscious of them as they had several riders highly placed & I wasn't settling for them beating us after all the work we'd put in! Somehow I kicked again and had enough of a surge to hit the line the same time as them. On screen & ZP results show Ross and I rolling them both on the line, mwhaha! :D

Fantastic group effort with Jason taking 4th, Ross & I in 6th and 7th. Chris just behind the front surge taking 15th. Baxter with his dropout coming in 21st just behind gwilym in 20th.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=38780 - 6th in Category (bracket) C
https://www.strava.com/activities/1371875866

Thanks for the Neo & Kickr comparison/experience. I'm edging towards the Kickr or Flux, but need to ensure compatibility with thru axle for future use. Will hopefully be hunting down deals in the summer/fall. Know/trust Wahoo/Tacx so will probably stick with them, possibly looking at refurbished Kickrs.
According to the other half I woke the baby last night just before the end of the race. She said "you'll have to get that quieter turbo trainer" so I think I'm allowed one now lol ;)

That's exactly what happened - I think I was taking a drink and peered at the screen out of the corner of my eye - saw them pushing, by the time I got my bottle back in and hands on the bars I was toast. I kept going and caught a few stragglers on the next climb but the pack was gone.
Yup, it's ruthless at times. I nearly got dropped last night, was resting in group, drifted towards the back just as I was reading a message, tried to reply and looked up to realise I'd lost a wheel and 3-4s back! It took a big effort to regain speed, but I was barely closing the gap so called the guys to ease on the front and Chris even dangled off the back to me. I maintained pace, rested slightly before a couple of surges to regain the group. thankfully it was early in the race so I could recover and it didn't have much impact on results. Lucky it was on a flat course!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom