The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
I looked online and mine is a later model. Also didn’t realise there is a newer model coming out this month.
Taking it back to the shop at the weekend and will see how long a replacement takes. Not too fussed atm, still warm enough.
Newer model barely has any changes, it's release is also why you got such a deal on yours! :)

You should have no problem getting it swapped, they should be aware of various Flux's having issues which Tacx should now all have resolved, but I'd imagine by now the replacement process is pretty smooth!

It sure makes for dull racing though Roadie! Maybe not helped by the flat Richmond course, nothing to shake it up.

I’d rather try a few things and get DQ than roll about doing nothing.
Totally agree, but you where hitting the second race in a series on a flat course where the heavier riders will be trying to get their best result and not want to risk a DQ. Not only that, a 'replacement' series for the popular CVR series, which also contains actual prizes and that most of the bigger Zwift race clubs are riding - would always be a very controlled race, which on a Zwift flat course means a sprint finish.

There is a guy in the club up here who won some big crit Zwift thing down in London that was live streamed in a big studio and all sorts. He then went and raced some world champs thing in Vancouver on Zwift which again was a big studio affair with cameras and lighting etc. It's getting pretty big time like esports isn't it? I guess Zwifting could be described as an ACTUAL esport because it is gaming combined with sport.
It's getting pretty big as there's some big sponsors on board, the Vancouver trip would've been the CVR finalists event where the winners of brackets A & B in each time zone where invited over to compete against each other with the men and womens winner over the weekend taking $10,000 each.

It's quite big but still quite a niche so not huge numbers - it hasn't really gathered any real crowds from typical esports so much of the 'following' are fellow riders who'll watch steams when they're resting or otherwise not riding. Would be great if it can start gathering esports crowds, but much of that I think would mean it moving to the East and away from the States and Europe. Which would be a huge shame as that's the majority of Zwift subscribers.

I might give a Zwift race a go at some point over the winter. How is it policed? Can people lie about their weight? And is it only open to people with confirmed proper power meters that are calibrated and true or is it really as open to abuse as it appears to an outsider? I would only consider bothering with it if cheating is minimal and somehow kept on top of because cheating is one thing I will full on admit to utterly hating. Whether it be real or gaming world, cheating is cheating.

I am level 24 or something like that, should I have that fancy glowing up tron bike now?
Give it a go. Think Berger has mostly answered your queries, feel free to ask more as I'll always try to cover them. :cool:

There's very little policing of 'general' Zwift, people can enter events/races with no checks or confirmation of power calibration. Dumb trainers can be easily abused. Weight can be abused. Choosing your CAT can be abused.

The racing side of it is only policed by Zwiftpower who are not part of Zwift, just an organisation of race teams/organisers displaying race schedule/results. They're fully supported by Zwift, as Zwift themselves do not want to get any more involved with race results as they don't want to 'deny' people from areas of their platform. So Zwiftpower now has 'power' to categorise riders, race results, FTP, calibration and weight 'history' to try and aid the race admins in policing their own race results (as that's all they can control). They can't deny racers from entering, but they can stop them from appearing in the 'official' results.

AND, what about smart trainers like my Kickr? Is it more advantage or disadvantage to use it in controlled FE-C mode or to use it uncontrolled mode so it does not alter the resistance and purely is then being used as your power meter? To me that seems quite a big discrepancy between controllable and non controlled modes. do the A and B races have a mix of people choosing to use controlled and non controlled trainers?
I think having the trainer unlinked from Zwift (in uncontrolled mode) will list you as racing with zpower rather than 'actual' so you'd get removed from results.

I love the racing on Zwift - if it wasn't for the racing I just don't think I could cope with it.

The training plans and free riding just bore the ***t out of me. :(
Same, Free riding is just a snorefest now unless I've got a very limited time to ride or a specific challenge (Alpe!). I always have grand plans of doing a training plan but every time I've started one I've barely done 3-4 rides of it before I just run out of time, my Zwifting schedule is too sporadic (or non existent). Training group rides I should do more of as I do enjoy them more than the quieter races (banter!). Racing just gives me everything I need as a time pressured cyclist who needs to maximise all time on the bike he's able to get! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone recommend a smallish directional fan? Need to get an extra fan in preparation for the winter that I can direct at my head, current fan is ok but doesn't cool my head at all unless I had the bars on the drops.

Soldato
Why go small? Air volume counts! I use two large floor standing fans, both from the front, one low left the other high right. Do get a sweaty back though...

Benny had a link to some Honeywell fans which looked very tidy and that they would 'pole' mount to fit on a TV stand (do a search). We had a discussion in the normal road thread about it as he'd posted some pictures from a Rapha clubhouse with them setup and it looked very tidy. I've always intended to do that but never got a TV stand as was going to get a bigger screen first.

Associate
So, went to Halfords and got a refund on the flux. With all the stories I read about decided to look at getting something else. When they removed the cassette for me the locking ring was already loose ( crap fitting by them) and they didn’t fit the 1mm spacer neither :mad:

Anyway, bit of a browse later and have ordered a Neo with Monday delivery. Fingers crossed I’ll have better luck with it. Just need a cassette tool and chain whip now which I’ll pickup over the weekend.

Soldato
Hahaha

Sucked in there, hope you ordered it from someone else! If you want something doing then better doing it yourself sometimes!

Best to have a torque wrench too.

Upgraded myself to B for a tough race tonight. Stayed with the front guys (15-20 of us) on the volcano flat loop for two laps, just losing touch at the end of the second when everyone kicked up the switchbacks. Each little climb was a 4.5-6.5w short effort to stay with the bunch.

I was too far back and someone dropped a wheel in front and three of us couldn’t get back on despite busting a gut. I had enough of a gap to stay away from the other B/C guys over the last lap with a 240-260w TT effort which was all I had left.

I was 5th in B, 15th or so overall, see how the zwiftpower results stack out.

Associate
Nice riding anyway

Hahaha

Sucked in there, hope you ordered it from someone else! If you want something doing then better doing it yourself sometimes!

Yeah CRC ( didn’t know they are part of wiggle)
Delivery tomorrow which is a nice bonus

Should a cassette be put in with a torque wrench? I only have a small one for normal Allan key stuff

Soldato
Nice riding anyway

Yeah CRC ( didn’t know they are part of wiggle)
Delivery tomorrow which is a nice bonus

Should a cassette be put in with a torque wrench? I only have a small one for normal Allan key stuff

Should it? Probably, but I suspect many like me do not. IIRC, I install typically with ~3 small turns of "racket clicks" once the lockring starts to properly bind with the cassette.

Associate
So. Had a ride on the Neo today. First impressions are very good.

Now for something strange

So, I decided to do a short ftp. Whilst doing the warm up I noticed the power seemed to be very low. When I was expecting circa 180 I was barely getting 100. Also the speed for half of what I did was approx 5km/h despite pedalling like a nut job and then both would just speed up to where I would expect it to be, circa 35km/h. Then back down then up again etc. In the end I just stopped that and did the ‘Surrey hills’ route. Speed and power were both where I expected them??? Should that happen in a ftp?

Lastly it seems a lot harder to peddle in any given gear compared to the open road and the flux I briefly had. Is this the norm?

Soldato
Unsure of what you mean by warm up. Just free riding? Why did you expect 180w, have you used a power meter before? How do you have it connected, ANT+?

The resistance/difficulty pedalling is because there is limited freewheeling, it does self drive to an extent, and then the resistance is instant when you pickup pedalling again compared to the road where you can soft pedal a little.

Soldato
Bit confusing understanding the problem there - but best advice I can offer is a) get the firmware updated through the utility app b) get the trainer warmed up c) get it calibrated d) fire up zwift, take ERG mode off, put resistance to 50% and free ride to see what it feels like/what sort of numbers it comes up with and take it from there.

Soldato
Had grand plans of hitting a couple of races on Sunday. Missed the start of the longer one I was aiming for so entered two '1 lap' races. Raced in C as I know I'm down on training/power and a long way from being competitive in B.

Won the flat one and came second in the hilly one. On screen results where around 4th in the flat as I was in the first chase group after a couple got away with the B's. Similar again in the hilly, coming in around 5th-6th on screen.

Both races very similar where I generally found myself dropping from the front A/B group after a couple of miles to avoid blowing up, then strong enough to ride with 1 or 2 others chasing, strong enough to stay away from organised chases behind us then dropping my compatriots on a ramp before the finish. Underpass on the flat and escalators on the hilly. My tactics and ZP opt-in got me those results, not my legs! Didn't need my sprint for either! :D

Quite pleased with my results, racing in C in 'public' races like this is probably only fair while I'm still finding my legs. Should move back up to B for short races like these, then C for longer or more competitive races.

This is the Honeywell one you are on about Roady - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honeywell-HT900E1-HT900E-Turbo-Fan/dp/B001VEJFT6

They can mount to wall or to laptop/monitor stands and what not. For example - https://pusherofpedals.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/db1x6241.jpg?w=1200&h=800&crop=1
That's the fan, although pricier than I remember? Think Benny got his for £25 as was quibbling about £7 postage then ordered when he'd found a discount code for free delivery. Sheesh. I remember that but I can't remember things like my home phone number. :(

Quite a tidy mount there although looks 'odd'. I'm sure the ones Benny shared a pic of where held between the stand legs with just zipties? Still looked tidy though. I've looked back through pretty much all of @BennyC 's posts in here since January and can't find it. I'm admitting defeat as I've run out of lunchtime to continue! :o

Anyway, bit of a browse later and have ordered a Neo with Monday delivery. Fingers crossed I’ll have better luck with it. Just need a cassette tool and chain whip now which I’ll pickup over the weekend.
Awesome, you'll love it as by all accounts they are fantastic! Halfrauds fail again luls :(

Great racing again buddy!

I've never fitted a cassette with a torque wrench, mostly due to I think 40 nm being a HUGE amount that is written on the lockring!?

Just do them 'man' tight. Like Steve says :)

Soldato
So. Had a ride on the Neo today. First impressions are very good.

Now for something strange
This is so hard to judge as so many variables.

A direct drive trainer should feel a lot harder to ride 'easy' than out on the road, it's a different kind of power through the pedal stroke, less 'stabby' and more constant is my only (poor) was of describing it? Much of that is the way the electro brake is applied, also how momentum and 'easy' pedalling out on the road can maintain speed far more than on a trainer. Once you're up to 'speed' (cadence) the electro braking should be more 'gentle' (as it'll need to apply less to provide the required resistance).

It's quite possible your Neo will need several rides to 'wear in' and free things up, equally it might take you a little while to get used to it. Confirm the 'difficulty' slider in settings is around 50%, you have your weight and height set then get some rides under your belt before really drawing comparisons.

The power at the start of the FTP session will be low as it builds, just make sure you have ERG enabled and are NOT changing gear. ERG should calculate power required to the gear you are in and the onscreen power requirements. Get it into the big ring and 3-4 gears from top of the cassette for best chainline and keep it there. Only change gear when you're riding 'terrain', when riding plans/sessions/tests/etc keep it in the same gear.

Last edited:
Associate
Unsure of what you mean by warm up. Just free riding? Why did you expect 180w, have you used a power meter before? How do you have it connected, ANT+?

The resistance/difficulty pedalling is because there is limited freewheeling, it does self drive to an extent, and then the resistance is instant when you pickup pedalling again compared to the road where you can soft pedal a little.
On the 20min ftp I started there was a Warm up with some low wattage, then ramps etc before the 20 min test started. I had a bike fit a week ago and although he had a dumb trainer he had wired up a watt meter to it. I had to pedal at 180w for a while so remembered how it felt( he was a good tt’er in his day so trust his judgement on this)

Bit confusing understanding the problem there - but best advice I can offer is a) get the firmware updated through the utility app b) get the trainer warmed up c) get it calibrated d) fire up zwift, take ERG mode off, put resistance to 50% and free ride to see what it feels like/what sort of numbers it comes up with and take it from there.
Hmm. Firmware up to date, doesn’t need a calibration but wasn’t ‘warm’. Dunno what ERG mode is and didn’t know I can change resistance. Seems I need to read up a bit on this
As a side note when I had done my ride it told me it had upped my ‘wattage’ another 30 so it must be teaching me
On another side note and this might be what I did wrong, when I first set up the trainer to Zwift it didn’t initially find all the sensors and i picked the trainer for speed rather than it finding it and choosing power meter.........

This is so hard to judge as so many variables.

A direct drive trainer should feel a lot harder to ride 'easy' than out on the road, it's a different kind of power through the pedal stroke, less 'stabby' and more constant is my only (poor) was of describing it? Much of that is the way the electro brake is applied, also how momentum and 'easy' pedalling out on the road can maintain speed far more than on a trainer. Once you're up to 'speed' (cadence) the electro braking should be more 'gentle' (as it'll need to apply less to provide the required resistance).

It's quite possible your Neo will need several rides to 'wear in' and free things up, equally it might take you a little while to get used to it. Confirm the 'difficulty' slider in settings is around 50%, you have your weight and height set then get some rides under your belt before really drawing comparisons.

The power at the start of the FTP session will be low as it builds, just make sure you have ERG enabled and are NOT changing gear. ERG should calculate power required to the gear you are in and the onscreen power requirements. Get it into the big ring and 3-4 gears from top of the cassette for best chainline and keep it there. Only change gear when you're riding 'terrain', when riding plans/sessions/tests/etc keep it in the same gear.
See above for ERG and difficulty. I was having to change gear for both rides so clearly I’m a dumb ass and need to just sort the settings out properly. Tbh I haven’t seen an erg mode tho I don’t think. On the tacx utility I have roadfeel, isokinetic and isotonic. Guessing erg is within Zwift

Soldato
That's the fan, although pricier than I remember? Think Benny got his for £25 as was quibbling about £7 postage then ordered when he'd found a discount code for free delivery. Sheesh. I remember that but I can't remember things like my home phone number. :(

Quite a tidy mount there although looks 'odd'. I'm sure the ones Benny shared a pic of where held between the stand legs with just zipties? Still looked tidy though. I've looked back through pretty much all of @BennyC 's posts in here since January and can't find it. I'm admitting defeat as I've run out of lunchtime to continue! :o

Yup, £25 a pop. For me they're fine for low to moderate intensity or where ambient temperature isn't over 15 degrees otherwise two of them just doesn't cut it so I still have my 20" HV blowing too.

Those look to be zip-tied too but just differently. The base has two of those recessed screw mounts. One hole with a little slot to hook over the head of a screw, like you'd find on the back of an extension lead.

Looks like they've done the same and that they've probably got keyboards resting on top?

64i860jl.jpg 37EyHMXl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Did the Innsbruck flat course loops tonight.

Really have to punch it up the 8-9% gradient for 500m. It’s a tough course.

Didn’t make the A grade split (2 B guys did) but hung in the B grade fine, some guy who was using Zpower helped drag it all together as he was pumping a constant 3.6-4.2w and you could sit on him easy.

Soldato
Oh and the Kickr Core is released today.

It’s basically last years full fat Kickr with a different stand (not height adjustable) but it’s very quiet/silent and cheaper.

The top end model will remain, which in 2018 has a heavier flywheel than the core, this doesn’t really matter imo.

I’d be going for one if I had to buy new.

Soldato
See above for ERG and difficulty. I was having to change gear for both rides so clearly I’m a dumb ass and need to just sort the settings out properly. Tbh I haven’t seen an erg mode tho I don’t think. On the tacx utility I have roadfeel, isokinetic and isotonic. Guessing erg is within Zwift
Ah, sorry, ERG as a term is the type of communication between Zwift and the trainer, it determines that the Trainer resistance is controllable by software. So you adding the trainer as 'speed' only will have added it in a non-erg mode.

By memory the trainer will need to be shown on the bottom right of the Zwift options under 'Controllable Trainer', then it should appear also on the top left as a 'power meter source'.

Yup, £25 a pop. For me they're fine for low to moderate intensity or where ambient temperature isn't over 15 degrees otherwise two of them just doesn't cut it so I still have my 20" HV blowing too.

Those look to be zip-tied too but just differently. The base has two of those recessed screw mounts. One hole with a little slot to hook over the head of a screw, like you'd find on the back of an extension lead.

Looks like they've done the same and that they've probably got keyboards resting on top?

64i860jl.jpg 37EyHMXl.jpg
Great to see the pictures after the hunt I did for them! No idea why I couldn't find the post with them on lol :o

Still look great! Those are the Rapha club house ones yeah?

Did the Innsbruck flat course loops tonight.
Was that the series one again? Surprised someone would be in there on zpower!

Oh and the Kickr Core is released today.

It’s basically last years full fat Kickr with a different stand (not height adjustable) but it’s very quiet/silent and cheaper.

The top end model will remain, which in 2018 has a heavier flywheel than the core, this doesn’t really matter imo.

I’d be going for one if I had to buy new.
I'm really tempted, if I could sell my Flux and not lose like £200 :(

Soldato
It was the Italian special race Roady. I just jump into whatever is going usually to help pass the time. I think only wattopia lends itself to free riding as the world is so large and varied.

Back
Top Bottom