The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
It was the Italian special race Roady. I just jump into whatever is going usually to help pass the time. I think only wattopia lends itself to free riding as the world is so large and varied.
Ahh, ok. That's quite a fun race, the time I did it it wasn't a huge peloton with riders being dropped, but lots of little groups chasing each other... The fun stuff! :D

Out of interest. Where’s the best place to sell an Elite Direto?

My new house is about 3 mins from the gym which has a pile of wattbikes which I can Zwift on. Plus the benefit of a sauna/other stuff.

Seems daft having the Elite at home now.
Pinkbike or Singletrack most bikes sell well on so would imagine trainers should too. Although eBay bikes have always sold well on too. Local Facebook Cycling Buy/Sell groups are worth scouting out as you may find someone locally to avoid packaging/posting it.

The guy who beat me seems to have dropped his weight by around 30 kilos in the last few days, that's some diet. :)

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=87071

I can't even be bothered to report it, this stuff is still as rife as ever, sadly.
Mega diet! As it's so obvious and a RaceWBR rider he should know better. Have pointed an admin towards it as we're trying to stamp this kinda stuff out amongst the main groups & rides. :cool:

Did two '1 lap' myself on Sunday morning. Still entering C but think I should be racing in B for these 1 lap races with C in the longer ones (which I need to get back into riding). On screen results around 7th in the Flat, 9th in the Hilly. So took 3rd in the Flat as a rider got away from me and couldn't close him down. The guy who won had kept away in the front A+B group the whole time. Took the win in the hilly! :D

Both races having a long finish worked to my advantage - on the flat I was able to break the group several times with the final effort through the underpass enough to get away with a B chasing a C. The B wouldn't work hard enough with me to chase down the C infront.

In the Hilly race I was able to stick with the front group for quite a time before easing to rest my legs before Box hill. Settled into a group but it soon fractured on the upper slopes of the climb. Over the top I had a C chasing me with a B in front. The B and I worked well on the descent and caught another C just after the bottom, even after resting in the B's slipstream to keep my average down. I caught and passed another C on the escalators and managed the gap to him but he was closing me rapidly at the end. I raced so tactically I didn't use my sprint at either finish, but the efforts at the top of Box and on the Escalators had pretty much wrecked it anyway! ;)

Soldato
Quick one guys, for an indoor noob.
I have rollers, Quarq pm with a Wahoo elemnt (speed/HR sensor too). Is this sufficient for me to have a go on Zwift to see what it's all about?
Also, can I do it through my mobile phone via bluetooth?

Soldato
So if I log in to my desktop it wants to search for PM, HRM, Cadence etc, where as when I sit on the bike and go into the zwift companion app I don't get any of that...
Does initial setup need doing on the PC?
If so I'll need to get a bluetooth dongle I guess.

Associate
Think you need to let Zwift always find your equipment. Sometimes takes a minute or so to find everything
I used it via ant+ as I believe it is the most consistent connection

I am now waiting for a lightning to hdmi lead to connect iPad to monitor so I can press stuff whilst training so that will be iOS. Will see how it goes

Soldato
Haha, thanks Roady - that didn't take long - I've just been bumped up from 4th to 3rd! :)
No worries! Admin actually thought that the guy had been riding with multiple different people on his profile due to the power/HR/weight data being so different. So entirely likely it was an honest mistake on his part (weight changed for family member & then not changed back). Still got it listed as a DQ so can't complain! ;)

Quick one guys, for an indoor noob.
I have rollers, Quarq pm with a Wahoo elemnt (speed/HR sensor too). Is this sufficient for me to have a go on Zwift to see what it's all about?
Also, can I do it through my mobile phone via bluetooth?
Yes that's enough. You won't get a huge amount of the experience as you have no way to increase resistance (assume dumb rollers), but you'll get an idea what it's like! At least enough to make a decision about getting a dedicated trainer for it (I estimate that'll happen very shortly!) ;)

With a power source you'll be 'better off' than those using 'dumb trainers' which rely on speed&cadence sensors to get an 'estimated' power (zpower), but they do have the option for manually increasing resistance which is mostly lacked on rollers (so the speed calculation on screen due to your power measurement really slows your avatar down to a crawl).

So if I log in to my desktop it wants to search for PM, HRM, Cadence etc, where as when I sit on the bike and go into the zwift companion app I don't get any of that...
Does initial setup need doing on the PC?
If so I'll need to get a bluetooth dongle I guess.
The 'Companion App' is exactly that, it's not Zwift. When you're riding on Zwift via PC/Mac/iOS the Companion app (providing it's connected to the same 'home' network) will display info also displayed on Zwift on your handset, but not the actual 'world'. Power/Speed/Cadence etc, while also giving you more tools (see who's riding, join events, see friends finished activites) as well as many of the 'on screen' things you get on iOS (wave, elbow flick, screenshot etc).

The Zwift actual 'ride' app is available on Android as a beta/testing environment only. Last time I checked it was 'full' or you had to get a specific invite to it. The actual 'ride' app whichever platform you're using will usually need a USB dongle to give you ANT+ connectivity (PC/Mac) if your connecting devices are ANT. This is obviously not required if your devices are BT and your PC/Mac has BT. But be wary of 'inbuilt' BT on older laptops, many of them are too early a version of BT to support the multiple connections and data throughput required.

With iOS, I'm meaning iPad, AppleTV and iPhone devices. Now, they only have BT available and I know that the ATV can only support 2 BT 'devices' (streams) at a time. Unsure of limits on the others. So when you connect your Turbo to it, you then have to decide between your others on which one you want - cadence/HR/power. You can do some fancy stuff with other devices to record your missing data and then bridge it (think there's a HRM which will record BT/ANT streams then broadcast all the data into 1 stream to the ATV) but the majority of riders don't. They'll ride with Trainer BT stream (as most will transmit calculated cadence to Zwift anyway) and HRM (as you'll get DQ from most races without it).

If in your particular case you're using an Apple device with the 2 BT limit, you'll need your Quarq (if it broadcasts on BT?) and HRM - you'll miss cadence/speed. Speed is mostly junk in your case anyway as wheel speed does not equal Zwift speed when you're using your PWM (Zwift only needs speed & cadence data to 'estimate' a power, but you're supplying power data). Not sure if missing cadence data will cause you any issues, you may find yourself DQ from race results, but you can certainly still race them (admins have no way to bar riders from races, only remove them from results).

But what device are you actually hoping to 'ride' Zwift with alongside your handset?

EDIT: Think that's pretty concise, but I've not used any Apple device with it. Maybe someone else can correct any of the above if I've got it wrong!?

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome reply Roady, as usual.
To be honest, I intend to buy a Kickr but just wanted to have a go on Zwift before hand as it'll help make my mind up on whether to spend that kinda money on indoor training... Or eTap :D
I can rig up the laptop for the short term, I'll need a bluetooth or ANT+ dongle though but if I get my way, the piano the Mrs never play will go and I'll have a mini pain cave corner set up and use the TV.

I did see the Zwift Beta in the play store but as you say... It's full, and I rid myself of the apple disease several years ago!

Soldato
Awesome reply Roady, as usual.
To be honest, I intend to buy a Kickr but just wanted to have a go on Zwift before hand as it'll help make my mind up on whether to spend that kinda money on indoor training... Or eTap :D
I can rig up the laptop for the short term, I'll need a bluetooth or ANT+ dongle though but if I get my way, the piano the Mrs never play will go and I'll have a mini pain cave corner set up and use the TV.

I did see the Zwift Beta in the play store but as you say... It's full, and I rid myself of the apple disease several years ago!
To be honest if you've never really ridden much turbo/inside before then going the whole hog on a KICKR is a bit of a risk. You're almost better picking up an on-wheel cheap/second hand turbo to try it with first. The Vortex & Flow smart can be had for ~£150, with a £25 BT/ANT dongle and an existing laptop you'd be up and running for less than £200 to get a taste for things. No need for new cassette or even a tyre until you get into it.

If you enjoy it after a month or two then by all means look at the KICKR again. Then the dedicated bike/TV/setup/direct drive will come! ;)

Personally I'd choose the eTap and cheap trainer route if you can budget it. I know I'd get more from it if I was riding 1 bike for both - I started on a (at the time ~£300) Vortex before getting my Flow.

Soldato
Manky weather last night, so thought I'd try the new Sufferfest "Defender" video. All the video footage is from the Vuelta and with a good soundtrack.

It's a FTP builder session, with 4 x 10 minute intervals. Each interval starts just over threshold, then every two minutes the RPE level drops very slightly so you finish easier but fighting the lactic. Tough session and I was dripping wet by the end of it.

Soldato
Has anyone tried Road Grand Tours?
I seen a bloke on my Strava had done a few on it and never paid much notice.... then speaking to my boss at work he was speaking about Zwift, Sufferfest etc so we looked up RGT.... From the images it looks really nice actually but beyond that I only know it is in beta stage. If anyone has tried it how does it compare to Zwift?

Back
Top Bottom