The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Flux bought, Flux set up.

Flux is great - I'm happy. £460 for a direct drive 2 year warranty trainer - most importantly of all it's a very recent serial number so hopefully it'll be completely gremlin free.

Good news, glad you're enjoying it! Solid ain't they! :D

Fairly sure the manufacturing (belt) problems they had where early 2017 as I'm sure when I bought mine (early 2018) the 'all clear' had gone out on the facebook group over which online etailers where holiding old stock which may have been effected. And none where, it was only physical shops with old stock which might have.

I wish that zwift sorted something out for families. My riding has been zero for like a month+ now as I've been playing carer for my wife post hip replacement, but now she's trying to recover, she wants to ride and I do too. Zwift is perfect for us both to use together and our setup is ready for it, but my son's also talking about using it and he's 13, so we would need 3 damn subs for it!! So many threads I've seen online about this but they haven't done anything and it's bloody annoying

I wish that zwift sorted something out for families. My riding has been zero for like a month+ now as I've been playing carer for my wife post hip replacement, but now she's trying to recover, she wants to ride and I do too. Zwift is perfect for us both to use together and our setup is ready for it, but my son's also talking about using it and he's 13, so we would need 3 damn subs for it!! So many threads I've seen online about this but they haven't done anything and it's bloody annoying

Yet to try it, but have installed...
https://www.roadgrandtours.com/ (free currently)
http://www.onelap.cn/ (free?)

Flux bought, Flux set up.

Flux is great - I'm happy. £460 for a direct drive 2 year warranty trainer - most importantly of all it's a very recent serial number so hopefully it'll be completely gremlin free.
Where was this from pls?
I’m guessing Halfords now as price seems about right with BC discount
Don’t normally look there as I thought it was always expensive.

Last edited:
Well that escalated quickly
Ready to collect on Tuesday
So what else will I need?
I will run it with a computer so.
An extended usb Ant+
A cassette
A yoga mat or something similar
HR monitor or is Apple Watch ok?

Anything else?

One for ELEMNT users.
Can I get this to pair with ELEMNT/Strava?
Thanks for any help

I just use ANT+ dongle into USB on my laptop with my Kickr, no need to use extended USB cable to get it closer unless your computer is other side of the room or something.

Does the Flux come without a cassette?!?!

I got this mat, it is pretty cheap but 2 years on and it is as good as new - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00R50PZSA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would get a Wahoo or Garmin HR chest strap. HR measured at the wrist is not worth relying on. Almost as bad as relying on/using apple products :p :p

One suggestion from me would be to download Zwift now (if you are using it) and get your sub sorted and get it updated and all running smoothly. As the last thing you want to be mucking about with once you get your lovely new turbo sorted is ballache apps/configs on your computer. you'll just be wanting to jump on and enjoy it :)

If the Flux talks over ANT+ or BT then you can have it report to your ELEMNT head unit no problem. It'll just be like adding on any other sensor to it.
You can record the ride then on the ELEMNT and save it to upload to strava as normal but if you are using Zwift then once you finish your ride you can automatically have it save the ride and transfer it over to your Strava also.

I just use ANT+ dongle into USB on my laptop with my Kickr, no need to use extended USB cable to get it closer unless your computer is other side of the room or something.

The cassette needs to match your rear wheel so you can swap between road and training without upsetting the derailleur alignment.

Ty xdcx, will check that all out.
My computer will be in front of the bike so may need something longer. I’m guessing any Ant+ would do, not necessarily a branded one?
As for a cassette, i thought they all came without so could easy be wrong.
I have a standard compact tiara on the wheel so will probably get a 105 with same configuration so it matches. As I have no tools I will organise a LBS to fit the cassette as that makes it easy

I have a Wahoo ELEMNT so I just add the trainer as a sensor? That will make it easy to use I guess.
Good shout about getting whatever software sorted earlier

Little FTP increase on Zwift to 295w.

Not sure on the worlds course, the massive hill kills it a bit but around town it’s good with some false flats and a steep punchy hill.

Riding the TT seems to leave me with a saddle sore from sitting up when I’m not on the aerobars, yet I can ride 75km on the road fine :(

Roll on warranty R5.

I suggest the Anself ant+ usb. Not the micro sized one, seems to work better for me, no extension needed.

Doing okay on the zwift academy this year, don't do much interval training so happy if I can complete the workouts.

Welcome Jobe! We;ll have you sweating in no time! Decided which platform yet? Most of us here end up fairly split between Zwift and Trainer Road with most on Zwift. A few on Sufferfest and I have to admit I like to jump on for the 'Tour of Sufferandria' occasionally. RGT and FullGaz are good shout too. Most platforms offer a 'free' month, some more and some (RGT) are in beta so totally free. :)

I'm fairly sure Zwift used to do a Junior sub, or a sub that was free for riders under a certain age? It runs Zwift with some privacy/parental controls so chat is disabled and I don't think they can race/join events. Sure if you google around you'll find info, although you may well find lots of people complaining that they no longer offer it after the price hike/change last year...

I'm sure I've seen people talking about family subs, but think again that was forum venting and have not seen anything actual from Zwift about it.

I'm using a Suunto adaptor with mine, no issues but have used a USB hub to move it closer to my Flux (along with giving me USB power at my handlebars for mobile/charging wireless headphones) while trying to troubleshoot some occasional dropouts.

Yes, it comes without. None of mid-range direct drives come with them. To be honest I think the KICKR and Neo are the only units which come with cassettes?

I would get a Wahoo or Garmin HR chest strap.
Vote here for the Wahoo TICKR. Mine is 4 years old (in a month) and has ridden inside and outside all that time with no issues. Strap is starting to rot a little and lose it's elasticity but unit has been bombproof! :cool:

I have a TacX NEO and I had to buy a cassette that matched my rear wheel cassette as I take the rear wheel off the bike to mount it to the NEO. Unless the it uses rollers or is an all in one trainer you will have to buy a cassette match your bike.

Thanks guys
So cassette. I have a 12-30 on my bike so I guess as long as I don’t go any more than 30 on a new cassette I’ll be ok? Think more and you need a long derailleur anyway. And as it’s shimano( cheap Tiara) and shimano will be ok. Was gonna put a 105 on there.

Not decided on platform. Downloaded Zwift which gives a month OR 25km so that would last at best 1-2 hours and at £12.99( I think it was) it’s not cheap. Will have a look at the rest. I’m guessing all are ok on a pc and not just as an app on Android/Apple

Sorry @bimbleuk that's slightly misleading. What did you have to 'match' with your rear wheel? I happily mix a 28T and a 32T cassettes on my other bike and have no problems with indexing (swapping between road wheel & Turbo trainer). 105 5800. Chain length can be an issue, but not indexing. Maybe a slight tweak to the RD to account for cassette wear, but can't recall needing to even do that the last couple of times (both now worn in).

The groupset, or more accurately the series and number of gears of it does come into things - Shimano's 'trickle down' tech should make most 11 speeds compatible spacing wise, certainly those of the last couple of years but I'd always do some googling first to determine if there's any width issues. The newer the groupset components the less likely you'll find issue (it's several series since chain and sprocket widths where changed). @Saytan or someone with wider experience can maybe elaborate on that if you need info on new component compatibility with something say 4-5 years+ older (older by several series).

Number of gears matters most of all - chain width and sprocket (cogs on your cassette) width have generally changed between speeds. Current 11 speed chains are narrower than 10 speed chains. Not a huge amount, an 11 speed chain on 10 speed will seem ok but you just can't quite get the indexing perfect (or notice it get really poor when components age). 10 speed chain on 11 speed components is a big NO-no. It's too wide and will foul the neighbouring sprockets.

I believe actuation is different between SRAM and Shimano (length cable moves per 'shift' from the shifters is different) so mixing shifters/derailleurs is not usually recommended, although chains and cassettes can be happily mixed so the sprocket width of cassettes must be the same. Newest 10 & 11 speed Shimano and SRAM can even be mixed with some Campagnolo in a pinch (chains & cassettes mostly) but would require indexing.

My Flux's 'freehub' is an Edco design which will accept Campagnolo cassettes and Shimano/SRAM without change. I'm unsure if the Elite or Wahoo trainers have the same freehub or they have to be swapped. This is a non issue for Jobe but worth mentioning to anyone else reading this.

Basically, if you're running Shimano 5800, 6800, R7000, R8000, R9000 & R9100 (all 11 speed) or SRAM Red, Force & Rival (all 11 speed) then you should easily be able to use any Shimano or SRAM cassette without issue.

Last edited:
11 speed cassettes are cross-compatible. All of them.

There are differences but they amount to about 0.3mm across the cassette and that's much less than the floating jockey wheel moves by.

Chains have the same internal width for anything of relevance these days, it's the external width that varies, so you shouldn't have any problems using a chain from a higher number of gears on a lower one, though it's an odd choice given chains are progressively more expensive as they get narrower.

i'll leave you turbo perverts to it now....

You boys may just be talking about what I’m after

I have an old tiagra 12-30 and can’t find another anywhere

What can I use as an alternative? Didn’t want anything better than 105 realistically but can’t find one of those neither.
Was thinking an 11-30 would be more suitable

You boys may just be talking about what I’m after

I have an old tiagra 12-30 and can’t find another anywhere

What can I use as an alternative? Didn’t want anything better than 105 realistically but can’t find one of those neither.
Was thinking an 11-30 would be more suitable

You will struggle to get 5800 105 cassette now. I maybe just cleared out Chain Reaction of the last of theirs the other day (soz :p)
The new R7000 105 is your friend though as you can get an 11-30 now.
sigma currently cheaper than Wiggle and CRC etc - https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Sh...VQamaCh10fAnnEAkYBCABEgJzJfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

How old Tiagra? Which series? If you're unsure what bike model & year did it come on?

Current Tiagra (4700) is 10 speed and released in 2015. Tiagra 4600 is still 10 speed but much older, I'm unsure how backwards compatible a 4700 cassette would be with 4600 shifters and derailleurs. It should be ok, but don't take my word for it.

Tiagra 4700 is also listed as HG500, so a HG500 cassette should be fine - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra-hg500-10-speed-cassette-11-3211-34/ (choose Silver from the colour dropdown).

11-30 is a suitable alternative to 12-30. Really not much in it as not many times you'll see your 11 tooth riding a Flux! ;)

Back
Top Bottom