• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Intel Arc owners thread

Caporegime
Caporegime
Cite? Or are you including development costs?

It is if you look elsewhere; otherwise it's equal cheapest.

If you can find the A770 cheaper else where you can do the same for the 7600 XT.

Its not the cheapest 16GB card and its overpriced, Steve Walton (HUB) really hated on the RX 7600 XT for being grossly overpriced at $330, hated on it to the point of absurdity, which is actually only £315 with VAT.

Last edited:
Soldato
But not at £330 right? i can think of a serval cards that are way better for between £300 and £400.

its far too expensive.

I bought mine used from a well known trade in store, it came with a 2 year warranty for just over £200. Honestly I can't complain at all, it's really capable.

Caporegime
I bought mine used from a well known trade in store, it came with a 2 year warranty for just over £200. Honestly I can't complain at all, it's really capable.

Sure, and for £200, yeah its a good card for that.

The last thing we need is another GPU vendor who thinks they are worth it just because of the branding, which they don't even have that.

Caporegime
At a guess... $80 for the core manufactured, package assembled and shipped to board partners, VRam $20, Cooler $20, PCB components and assembly $50, so $170 BOM cost.

Intel want a profit, board partners want a profit, the supplier wants a profit, the retailer wants a profit, if they each take 10% of the BOM cost that takes it to about $240, I think that's a conservative estimate but no, they are not making a loss, not at £330 they aren't.

With a $3.5 bn initial development cost, a $100 profit (not a conservative estimate) they would have to sell 350 million of them to make their money back, i think they said they made 2 million of them? And they are still in stock.

ATI going bust selling faster GPU's than Nvidia for much less was nothing to do with BOM costs, they still sold them for more than they cost to make, what Nvidia did was simply wait them out, wait long enough for ATI to run out of money to R&D new GPU's.
This is how AMD know "selling better GPU's for half as much as Nvidia" is not a good long term strategy, they bailed ATI out. Jog on Steve Walton, you're an aussie idiot.

Last edited:
Associate
Keep going guys,I love reading about this stuff. I would contribute if I wasn't drunk, but I am,so I won't. I will add that I wish I'd invested in AMD when they were trading for £1.87. Story of my life.

Soldato
Recently put a 5700X3D in to the parts PC, and alongside the A770 it's nice.
Gaming performance is good, as much as many would believe otherwise. The performance with koboldcpp and Llama3 with no messing about has been great.
Finally about to look in to Intel IPEX-LLM to see exactly what this card can do. I've never wanted to do it before as it looked like a hassle, but I've been using LLMs a lot more recently for spicing up lesson plans and faster is always better. :D

Edit: The documentation here is very easy to follow. The speed from a Llama3b 8b Q8_0 model is seriously impressive. Just need to find out how to interact with it in a better place than a CMD window...

Last edited:
Associate
Sure, and for £200, yeah its a good card for that.

The last thing we need is another GPU vendor who thinks they are worth it just because of the branding, which they don't even have that.

I know you'll hate this but if Intel have better upscaling tech than AMD (which they do even now) and possibly better RT they will be charging "the going rate". Be interesting how close they get to Nvidia's mid range cards in performance/features and see what they can "get away with".

Caporegime
I know you'll hate this but if Intel have better upscaling tech than AMD (which they do even now) and possibly better RT they will be charging "the going rate". Be interesting how close they get to Nvidia's mid range cards in performance/features and see what they can "get away with".

If Intel can comand Nvidia pricing because they have near as good upscaling tech then frankly we deserve to be priced out of this segment.

Soldato
I did install them, but the only game I've played on desktop recently has been V Rising, which already ran great. Unsurprisingly, it still ran great after this update.
It says they add support for Hades 2, but that's probably not one I'll jump on during early access.

Back
Top Bottom