***The iOS 5 Thread***

Soldato
Quick warning about iphone update - my update went fine with all apps, music, settings, emails, text msgs etc updating correctly, however it did not copy my contacts! All contacts were missing after the update! No idea why. I've just spent half an hour going through old text msgs an adding names to each one.

No idea if this was just an isolated problem with my phone, it could well be, however if it's not it's something to be very aware of before you update to the beta.

Soldato
Quick warning about iphone update - my update went fine with all apps, music, settings, emails, text msgs etc updating correctly, however it did not copy my contacts! All contacts were missing after the update! No idea why. I've just spent half an hour going through old text msgs an adding names to each one.

No idea if this was just an isolated problem with my phone, it could well be, however if it's not it's something to be very aware of before you update to the beta.

I had this, and way to fix is:

Back up phone.
Install ios5 over a restore.
During the initial setup of the ios5 don't setup icloud.
Restore your iphone from the back up in ios5
Check contacts are there, then setup icloud through the settings menu.

Works fine for me now.

Its something to do wiht the merging - it doesn't seem to like it.

Associate
Not true, all you have to do is restore the phone in DFU then use something to kick you out of recovery. I know of at least 5+ people that have said they managed to downgrade to 4.3.3

If so good but who says beta 2 won't update the baseband? The only way to get back then is for a jailbreak and baseband utility to move it back down to a version compatible with 4.3.3.

Soldato
If so good but who says beta 2 won't update the baseband? The only way to get back then is for a jailbreak and baseband utility to move it back down to a version compatible with 4.3.3.

Which isn't hard if you have half an idea about firmwares. I've done it at ios4 and ios5 too. Its not a hard task just time consuming.

Associate

True, but it would take all of two seconds to check if the baseband had been updated before upgrading to beta 2. Unless, of course, they only provide OTA updates for iOS 5 betas. (I don't think this will be the case)
The obvious thing to do would be to wait 'til people have confirmed what's changed before updating.
At the end of the day, you shouldn't buy a UDID slot unless you have some good computer knowledge. You wouldn't believe the amount of people I helped yesterday that were asking why iTunes was giving them errors when updating.
If they'd googled it, they would've found a solution.

Associate
Which isn't hard if you have half an idea about firmwares. I've done it at ios4 and ios5 too. Its not a hard task just time consuming.

But if the baseband updates and their is no hack to downgrade there isn't anything you can do.

I'm all for people testing but especially yesterday when the bypass was found I bet there's going to be a fair few idiots with a glass brick.

The problem is that a lot of people don't know that kind of thing, they just update without considering the consequences.

And that's the problem. What makes it worse is these people will have paid for it to happen as well as jumping through various other hoops. It's not like they just hit an update button accidentally.

Permabanned
From googling around it seems they have but upon restore to 4.3.3 they downgrade it. I wonder how long they keep being that nice.:p

Till Beta 2? lol. If it's released to developers there must be a way to downgrade. So for the people who has downgraded from iOS5 to iOS4 how did the baseband get downgraded? Was it because Apple still signs the firmware and once they stop signing it people who backed up their SHSH blobs should fine then?

Quick google comes up with yes it has been upgraded to 04.11.04.

Last edited:
Associate
Till Beta 2? lol. If it's released to developers there must be a way to downgrade. So for the people who has downgraded from iOS5 to iOS4 how did the baseband get downgraded? Was it because Apple still signs the firmware and once they stop signing it people who backed up their SHSH blobs should fine then?

Quick google comes up with yes it has been upgraded to 04.11.04.

The baseband is separate from the firmware that Apple sign.

Apple will continue to sign 4.3.3 probably until 5.0 comes out. I don't see another 4.x.x release now. So non 3G enabled devices should be fine throughout the beta trial. I may try downgrading my iPod touch to see if I need to use my SHSH backup or not.

Developers are meant to have development devices separate from their own. So Apple won't give them anymore advantage than ones like us who aren't actually developers.

During the downgrade to 4.3.3 the process just has the ability to roll the baseband back, normally this isn't the case and that's when you hear the screams of those stating "Apple" broke my phone.

Bottom line if the baseband can't be reversed from a later beta no amount of saved SHSH's will save you. Your only hope then is for a jailbreak for the relevant beta and a utility to downgrade the baseband - assuming it's even possible now, Apple love to patch those holes.:p

Back
Top Bottom