***The iOS 5 Thread***

Associate
Where is the 'view first unread' button? :o

At the top of the page below the post reply button.

Meanwhile getting back on topic there seems to be a annoying bug in iOS5 where it tells me that a app needs to be installed for my philips speaker dock to work properly when said app has already been installed (and was installed when I bought the iPod and the dock) and isn't really needed for it to function properly.

Soldato
Ahh this is really peeing me off now!
Why O why haven't Apple allowed Syncing Contacts With iCloud & Google Sync Together??

I'm getting sick of maintaining contacts in iCloud and Gmail.
When I add a contact to my phone it directly syncs with Gmail which is how I want it as ive been using Gmail for years and will continue to use it.

I added a host of pictures this evening to my contacts on the phone. I did this in "All iCloud" group of the phone app. All went well and they synced to iCloud. Great. But then I had to do the same again for Gmail which was very time consuming!

Why don't I just move everything to iCloud you may ask?

Because iCloud is for iDevices where as Gmail works on any device be it Symbian, BB, iOS or Windows. I may not always own an iDevice and when that happens iCloud will be useless but Gmail Sync will always be there.

Its great if your an Apple fanatic but if in 6 months I move over to another phone then all my contacts on iCloud will be useless!

C'mon Apple. Sort it out please

Soldato
And the point is what?
Get locked into Apple's "Eco system"?

What if next week my employer decides to give me a BB or a HTC as a company phone. How would I sync the contacts from iCloud to it and vice versa?

Yep. Apple aim to provide tailored solutions that provide a better user experience. They're not a pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap electronics vendor like say Samsung or HTC.

I'm sure you'll be able to export data from iCloud out via the Mac Applications like iCal, and the Address book. Given that the Mac and the iOS devices will Sync to Microsoft exchange as supported by corporate BB and HTC deployments it's not really an issue.

I easily got my existing contacts and calendar out of a Sony Ericsson handset via Bluetooth sync into the Mac, and then into my iPhone.

Soldato
You would export them as a vcard.

Thats true but then where would I maintain them?
It would mean going from one cloud service to another.

Dont need to do that with Gmail sync as when its setup on any smart phone, it just downloads your contacts from your account. No need to export/import.

GMail just provides a easy way to maintain contacts and sync in the Cloud no matter what device.

Soldato
Yep. Apple aim to provide tailored solutions that provide a better user experience. They're not a pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap electronics vendor like say Samsung or HTC.

I'm sure you'll be able to export data from iCloud out via the Mac Applications like iCal, and the Address book. Given that the Mac and the iOS devices will Sync to Microsoft exchange as supported by corporate BB and HTC deployments it's not really an issue.

I easily got my existing contacts and calendar out of a Sony Ericsson handset via Bluetooth sync into the Mac, and then into my iPhone.

How does this work on window pc's?

Not sure what Samsung or HTC's products have anything to do with iCloud/Gmail sync?
And im not sure how Apples contacts app offers a better user experience. Am i missing something? Its just names with entries....
The Anti-Google/Android resentment is pretty bad in here.
Samsung is a cheap vendor? Doesn't Apple use Samsung parts inside their iPhones....?

I think you guys are missing the point im making.

This explains what im talking about: http://iphonehelp.in/2011/10/14/icloud-doesnt-work-with-google-sync/
Im not alone.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I've had 1 instance where the reminders app successfully reminded me to do something "when I get home".

Once, went off as I drove down the bypass road behind my house (I'll forgive that).
Twice, when it simply never alerted me. Despite the reminders app showing my current location was exactly that of my home.
Once when I was 40 odd miles away at work :/

The only time it truly reminded me, was when I pulled up yesterday and it set off as my car pulled in the drive.

I'll try it again tomorrow, but how I added my address was to/
  1. Open maps app
  2. Find current location (whilst at home)
  3. Drop a pin on current position
  4. Tap the blue ">" arrow of the pin to see address
  5. Add that address to existing contact in address book
  6. Save

It just doesn't work if I enter the address manually.

Soldato
I play songs via bluetooth on my car stereo (Focus 2011) and it's great however a friend tried his IP4 with a beta version of IOS5 a while back and it displayed song/track info whilst playing over BT. I've just tried this and it isn't working for me. Have they changed/removed something?

Soldato
Speaking of text tones, there's a thread on Macrumors with a load of SMS and ringtone packs. Also the Ringer app in the Mac store is a beautifully simple program for making them from songs in your own library, which I prefer to just doing it in iTunes are it's easier to pick out the bits of songs/samples you want.

Back
Top Bottom