The Irishman (Netflix 2018)

Caporegime
why the filming is terrible the opening scene with the camera walking isnt even be shot properly wobbling like some youtuber made it. its a 200 million dollar production film its the first scene in the film lol.

also if you dont think having all the cast this in it wont have sway on awards. you are deluded. its made 25 million dollars cost close to 200 million. that says it all. most here love previous films they all done. this isnt one of them.

Caporegime
yeah everyone has different opinions. thats a given but...when you look at the cast what they have made been in then look at this film then analyze their performances in this film against previous work its just sub par. its now obvious why they struggled to get it made and finished. its because its garbage.

Soldato
It's just that we've seen it all before, it's largely a rehash, if it was Scorsese's first ever mob film back in the 70's or 80's then I could see the point of acclaiming it.

Soldato
7/10 for me, was good pacing was spot for a 3hr film that flew by, the de ageing was fine the only thing that I thought uncanny valley the entire film was Franks weird eyes

Soldato
I watched Goodfellas again last night and it's a much better film.
Having said that , I enjoyed The Irishman and didn't notice the time go by. It's not Oscar worthy acting wise but might pick something up for sfx.

Soldato
Watched this with basically zero buildup, didn't see any trailers or hype, all I knew was that it had some famous actors - who I knew, just not that they were in this film - and was directed by Scorsese.

Even with basically no expectation I thought it fell really short. Pesci and Pacino were great, but De Niro felt really 1 dimensional, I got really bored of seeing so much of his face, and a character with so little development. He was just like a robot. I think there was some attempt at changing him over time, but I didn't really get it.

The story just felt paper thin too. No real intrigue, no impactful twists (that I can remember). The last 30 mins in particular was a total slog.

I hope I was just in the wrong mood, and I might try and watch it again with someone else to get me through it.

Quite baffled by the overwhelming critical response, not sure whether a) my taste in films differs hugely to majority of critics, b) I can't spot a good film when I see one or c) critics just roll out the high marks because of the talent involved.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
If de niro smiled in the film it probably would have cost 1 million to de age it with cgi !

I get the negatives, its been shared across the net many are saying wooden static acting, dodgy de-aging that rivals Nick furys shining forehead in capmarvel, boring pointless 3hr+ film, yet still enjoyed it overall.

I believe its films like this and Captain marvel that may kick start bringing back dead actors from the grave or bring back retired pensioners into the world of acting and I love it, think what they could do with Star wars or Star trek or other classics....

Caporegime
If de niro smiled in the film it probably would have cost 1 million to de age it with cgi !

I get the negatives, its been shared across the net many are saying wooden static acting, dodgy de-aging that rivals Nick furys shining forehead in capmarvel, boring pointless 3hr+ film, yet still enjoyed it overall.

I believe its films like this and Captain marvel that may kick start bringing back dead actors from the grave or bring back retired pensioners into the world of acting and I love it, think what they could do with Star wars or Star trek or other classics....

100 percent this technique or similar will start bringing back dead people into roles. how stupid.

Man of Honour
I saw this over 2 sittings. It's good / watchable (although not truly excellent).

Good (for me):

Interesting to see from the eyes of a 'hitman' this time around.
Generally likeable cast.
Very effectively paints how grim growing old as a gangster must be. Everyone abandons you.
Unusual 'sad ending'.
The tension / build-up with Al Pacino's fate was great.

Bad (for me):

There were a couple of unnecessary cutaways to explosions seemed a bit forced and cliched.
The stuff with the unions was generally not very interesting, which was a little unfortunate as it was a lot of the plot.
Al Pacino's character isn't very likeable IMO. He's just a bit grating / too stubborn.
Long.

So, I enjoyed the journey but not hankering for a re-watch / coming away 'wow-ed'.

Associate
10 minutes into this and the CGI is making me crack up every time 'young' De Niro is on screen.

They've got him dressed up in a delivery boy outfit complete with cap, shiny cheeks and a giant droopy nose like Mr Punch.

They didn't de-age him very well as his earlobes are half flapping down to his shoulders and he's shuffling around like he's about 85 years old.

Joe Pesci calls him kid when they first meet and I just about lost it, he looks like he wrote the Bible and they're making it a coming of age. Why the hell didn't they just get younger actors? Getting a real uncanny valley feeling from the CGI, but unlike Polar Express creepy vibe I'm getting uncanny hilarity vibes from this.

Still a bit fan of all involved right back to Mean Streets, will watch it all and likely still enjoy it.

Soldato
Personally, really enjoyed it, although I regret not being able to see it in the cinema like I had planned; we turned our phones off and everything, didn't pause through the whole thing either.

As for de-aging thing it was quite jarring at first before I suddenly got used to it; the only bit I couldn't control my laughter was that scene outside the grocery store.

Associate
In the end watched the whole thing and I did enjoy it overall, though it felt more like a testimonial football match for much loved retired players than a movie with hungry actors in their prime.

As the actors aged in the story eventually it's like 'there they are!' the real actors come out again as they get closer to their age and get much more credible and suited to their roles.

That grocery store scene was indeed one of the funniest parts of the movie that really exposed how old De Niro is - not the 40 something year old hot head he's supposed to be at that time. No wonder they shot it from such a distant angle.

Joe Pesci was great as always but looked like he aged from about 100 to 150 in the movie, even his nose is heavily wrinkled, quite distracting on screen.

The little girl who had to play scenes with them looked like she was genuinely creeped out by how they are, Pacino doesn't have that charisma anymore to charm women or girls and his scenes with her were just as creepy as Pesci's which were actually supposed to be creepy.

The whole movie emanates an old people smell as we see Scorsese's usual lineup of character actors looking every bit the 30 years older since Goodfellas, etc.

I've no doubt that the coked up auteur Scorsese that directed the masterpieces Raging Bull and Goodfellas would likely be quite critical of old Scorsese and the Irishman, but that's kind of the point the movie makes - everyone gets old and everyone dies, if you live long enough, along the way you lose part of yourself and what you used to be.

Back
Top Bottom