The Jose Mourinho Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
Oh yea :o Fining players because Mourinho's man management skills suck is an interesting idea I suppose. The money made from those fines would go some way towards paying Mourinho off I guess.

Soldato
He gets results but players get lazy and don't want to work hard anymore and he calls them out on it, fans always give the manager stick, he gets sacked a new manager appears and the players suddenly remember how to play football again!

Don
He gets results but players get lazy and don't want to work hard anymore and he calls them out on it, fans always give the manager stick, he gets sacked a new manager appears and the players suddenly remember how to play football again!
Why do players get lazy and don't want to work hard for him? Is it a big coincidence that he has this same problem throughout his entire career? At what point do you look at Mourinho and ask what he's doing (or not doing) that's caused this?

I've said it 1000 times, Mourinho only cares about himself and will criticise anybody to protect himself. Is it any surprise that players eventually stop reacting positively to him when he hangs them out to dry every other week? Take Luke Shaw as an example, even when he had a good game last season, Mourinho took credit for it - Mourinho claimed that he played well because he was on the touchline near him and he was instructing him what to do. What kind of motivation is that, when he's repeatedly being **** on by Mourinho and then when he does play well Mourinho ****s on him again?

Again, all players are different - some will respond better to the carrot rather than the stick. Rooney was on Monday Night Football last season talking about this very thing in regards to Fergie - he talked about how Fergie was harder on him than he would be somebody like Nani because he knew Nani would react badly to criticism, even saying that Fergie would sometimes criticise Rooney for things Nani was doing just so he could get the message across to Nani without upsetting him.

It's the managers job to get the best out of players. When it's an isolated incident or player than maybe you can look at the player and criticise him but when it's a common theme with a certain manager and he's failing to get the best out of multiple players then you have to start questioning his approach and what he's doing that's causing this.

Soldato
I completely forgot footballers were children and not grown adults. The Chelsea players downed tools and Jose got the sack, the inter players died for Jose and they won it all, I stand behind Jose and the stick, balls to the carrot

Don
He left Inter before the inevitable meltdown that's happened everywhere else. I've mentioned it a few times in the past but here's a quote and link from an article by Matthew Syed on Mourinho:

But there can be little doubt that, when you look at his career, Mourinho has scant comprehension of the motivation written into men’s hearts, and which can sustain itself over the long haul. He understands only the most dehumanising type of culture: the kind that emerges from maligning others while constantly trumpeting oneself — and which typically, with tired inevitability, implodes.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-too-immature-to-create-a-dynasty-tvlvz9cr97q

Soldato
As a Chelsea fan I can't fault him as he turned us into champions but as you guys were champions way before him we will have a differing opinion I just wish the footballers themselves were held accountable the game is played by the players after all.

Man of Honour
OP
Raiola wading in hasn't helped matters. I know he's attacking Scholes but it just adds to the farce.

Utd need to get their house in order and decide on an overall strategy and only then start searching for the right manager because the issues they're facing now is because Mourinho was a compromise between what they wanted and how they wanted to get there.

This is absolutely true, the Mourinho successor and Director of Football appointments need to be carefully thought about.

Caporegime
Raiola wading in hasn't helped matters. I know he's attacking Scholes but it just adds to the farce.

This is absolutely true, the Mourinho successor and Director of Football appointments need to be carefully thought about.
If they can get him, Juventus’ Giuseppe Marotta would be an excellent choice for DoF. He’s the man who took Pogba off you in the first place.

Second choice would be Andrea Berta of AM. Either would do a great job imo.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Why can't we appoint from within the club. Both Zidane and Guardiola were completely unherd of in manigerial terms before taking over.

Because the Barcelona team that Guardiola took over was arguably one of the best teams ever and Barcelona had potentially one of the strongest styles ever seen from a football team.

Again with Zidane, you had a manager who took over a team that was one of the best ever and had probably 8-9 players who had been with the team for years and their style, tactics and personnel were very engrained.

At United you will be taking over a side that has 0 style, minimal tactics and a first XI that has probably about 4-5 top players. You will be in a league where every team can beat anyone else and you won't be able to ignore 90% of the games like La Liga. Its literally night and day.

United need a DoF and an experienced manager who will lay the foundations of a long term strategy at the club. We need someone who plays exciting football and gives the fans something to get excited about again. We have huge amounts of money so there is no excuse for playing poor football and buying second rate players. I genuinely think players are put off coming to us at the moment because we are such a mess on the football side of things. You could spend the best years of your career playing for a manager who doesn't appreciate you and with teammates who don't care.

Get the football side of things sorted and over 3-4 years we could be back competing with City.

Man of Honour
OP
I think Zidane is being sold a little short (by myself too).

Yes he had an excellent squad, but retaining the Champion's League is very difficult, even the best squads have failed to do it, including Pep's Barca at their best.

His methods are still a bit unknown, but he's certainly proven himself in many ways already.

Soldato
Can anyone tell me what Zidane’s managerial style actually is? Does he play attacking football? I couldn’t really tell in any games he’s been in charge of.

Soldato
United need a DoF and an experienced manager who will lay the foundations of a long term strategy at the club. We need someone who plays exciting football and gives the fans something to get excited about again. We have huge amounts of money so there is no excuse for playing poor football and buying second rate players. I genuinely think players are put off coming to us at the moment because we are such a mess on the football side of things. You could spend the best years of your career playing for a manager who doesn't appreciate you and with teammates who don't care.
Just as importantly Utd need to get Ed out of his current chair, move him back to dealing with commercial deals only and get someone in who understands football.

If Ed stays where he is, then the club will sink lower and lower, no matter what manager, DoF or strategy is implemented.

Its all very well using players as billboards, but if they don't win anything that billboard value will rapidly drop. Ed doesn't seem to realise that (even if Arsenal are a prime example of this right in front of his nose).

Just for the record, Im all for Utd getting their on field strategy right - but imo that's the last 5% or 10% of the team not the first 10%. Majority of top of the market players can play the right way if they are inspired enough to do it - but it also has to come from within themselves to be better and to push themselves all the way every time they go out.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I think Zidane is being sold a little short (by myself too).

Yes he had an excellent squad, but retaining the Champion's League is very difficult, even the best squads have failed to do it, including Pep's Barca at their best.

His methods are still a bit unknown, but he's certainly proven himself in many ways already.

It is really hard to win back to back CL titles but they have done it at a time where perhaps the classic European powerhouses are not quite at their best. Bayern aren't anything like the side of 4-5 years ago, Barca aren't that special at the moment vs a few years ago and they didn't do that well in the league last season.

I'm not doubting Zidane is a decent manager, I just don't think he has proved anything or given the impression that he could take United in their current condition and sort us out. You never can tell until you try but I would rather we get a proven manager who can set us up for the near future rather than a bit of an unknown quantity. I think finding a manager to take over is going to be hard enough with our recent issues.

Soldato
Every manager is going to be a gamble one way or the other

There are after all only a very few managers (who are still a viable option) who have successfully steered a club the size of Utd to multiple titles over many years, its either going to be someone who has done very well with few to none really big name players in a small club punching way above their weight, getting used to the size of Utd and the egos involved on all sides. Or its someone that has history with one of the other massive clubs but might also have their own agenda but has experience of re-motivating really big "names".

Soldato
I completely agree with Fez that United need to address the club structure. It's madness that a team of United's size doesn't have a director of football, plus I believe we're missing a few other positions between Mourinho and Woodward. As Gary Neville said on Monday, Woodward needs to put in place a team of people who are experienced and successful within football, people that he can trust to help identify and acquire the right players in the transfer market, so that he can focus on the commercial side of things, which is what he was always very good at.

As much as it pains me to say it, we should probably be looking at City's structure and aim to imitate that. I also don't think Mourinho is the right manager, he's not getting the best out of the players at either end of the pitch, but even with a different manager we'd still have had the same issues in the transfer market.

Man of Honour
OP
The club structure has to be sorted out, I agree, and I'm no fan of the Glazers or even Woodward (though he is good at his primary job).

However, the reality is that Mourinho has failed, you can't say the board haven't backed him properly at least until this summer window. His signings have been failures in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom