The joy of being a landlord

Oh bless, the obvious troll is obvious.
Welcome to the chat.
Care to remind us just how much more your house is worth than the "hobbyist landlords" property is worth?
You do have history of saying so

• Haha
Reactions: NVP
Is 'hobbyist landlord' a pejorative now? :p
It is more of a baffling concept of people acquiring resource, not exploiting that resource like you are supposed to do; then defending the overall profession whereby it ONLY makes sense if exploit that resource. It is like they made it to module 4 of a 5 module course; but think they did enough to say they know it all.

Last edited:
It is more of a baffling concept of people acquiring resource, not exploiting that resource like you are supposed to do; then defending the overall profession whereby it ONLY makes sense if exploit that resource. It is like they made it to module 4 of a 5 module course; but think they did enough to say they know it all.

Interesting choice of language :p But isn't that the point? 'Hobbyist landlords' arent necessarily in it for maximum extraction of profit. It's the differential between someone who has ended up a landlord through circumstance and someone setting it up as a business.

It was just a comment on why it seems a lot of "ocuk" landlords (circumstantial ones) are all the magnanimous ones :p

That isn't a problem, not everyone has a car - you can build a block of flats without parking, it's just NIMBYism to object to that sort of thing especially if the location is behind some of the shops and in a town centre .i.e a place with transport links and not out in the middle of nowhere!

That's the standard NIMBY excuse everywhere tbh... a single block of flats (especially if it's mostly 1 or 2 bedroom) doesn't necessarily have much impact in itself. As the population expands of course local authorities need to make sure there are sufficient facilities in the area, it's not a good reason to not increase the total sq footage of housing available for people. We've got such a shortage at the moment that increasing just about any type of housing is a good idea.
As someone who lives (hopefully not for long) in an area they keep building more houses but no infrastructure at all this is a valid concern. It's dire round here and hope to get out soon!

As someone who lives (hopefully not for long) in an area they keep building more houses but no infrastructure at all this is a valid concern. It's dire round here and hope to get out soon!

Well everyone has moans about their local area, it's not a good reason to not build houses where there is demand for it. There is a shortage of housing across the country, schools are going to need to cater to more people anyway.

[
Hilariously self-incriminating. Project the way you think onto everyone else, then complain that the world's full of scumbags.

Interesting choice of language :p But isn't that the point? 'Hobbyist landlords' arent necessarily in it for maximum extraction of profit. It's the differential between someone who has ended up a landlord through circumstance and someone setting it up as a business.

It was just a comment on why it seems a lot of "ocuk" landlords (circumstantial ones) are all the magnanimous ones :p
Difficult to have a real discussion when the mother Teresas of landlording keep wading in with their ideologies which are a miniscule outlier.

[Hilariously self-incriminating. Project the way you think onto everyone else, then complain that the world's full of scumbags.
Aye mate you're really going against the grain and true altruists.

Mother Theresa's? No. Some of us just aren't dicks to our tenants. You know, just have a bit of decency.

It may be an alien concept to some people.
Agree, I'm both a tenant and a landlord, honestly I've been fairly lucky with my landlords, but I did have one ahole. Bit I try to treat our tenant the same way I'd expect to be treated by our landlord, any reasonable request considered etc, and allowing pets. Its crazy the amount of houses here that are perfect for pets yet the landlord says no pets.

Mother Theresa's? No. Some of us just aren't dicks to our tenants. You know, just have a bit of decency.

It may be an alien concept to some people.
It shouldn't rely on the goodwill of individuals; you're making noise which gets in the way of progress.

• Haha
Reactions: NVP
It shouldn't rely on the goodwill of individuals; you're making noise which gets in the way of progress.
Nonsense

Edit: On second thought, I'm waiting for my sale to go through and I'm not a tenant so I actually have no vested interest in this anymore.

So maybe I am getting in the way. In that case I'm taking my money (minus capital gains rip off tax) and running. Laters :) :p

Last edited:
Difficult to have a real discussion when the mother Teresas of landlording keep wading in with their ideologies which are a miniscule outlier.

Aye mate you're really going against the grain and true altruists.
You just insisted everyone was supposed to exploit whatever situation they find themselves in, seemingly without realising how revealing that was about your approach to life.

You won't be able to comprehend this but the rest of the world isn't as exploitative as you've shown yourself to be

Back
Top Bottom