The last game you completed, and rating (Console Edition)

Caporegime
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (PS3) - 9/10

Really enjoyed this. I’d say equal second best with the 2008 game. One point docked for a horrendously annoying final sequence with the water streams.

Associate
Wolfenstein 2.

The whole series is pretty decent, but this was the best. Crackers story, good characters, nice graphics, excellent controls.

A high 8/10, very enjoyable.

Caporegime
God of War - 5/5

Graphics, sound, voice acting, story and gameplay are all just about perfect.

No idea why I left it so long to play but I went in with very high expectations and they were exceeded in every single way.

Soldato
God of War - 5/5

Graphics, sound, voice acting, story and gameplay are all just about perfect.

No idea why I left it so long to play but I went in with very high expectations and they were exceeded in every single way.

Pretty much the same as you - just completed God of War, only recently gotten back into Consoles since the PS2 days so missed out on this, straight into a top 5 game of all times for me, which I didn't expect.

Associate
Returnal, wow the best game I've played since Sekiro. It's rare I continue playing after beating the final boss, but since then I have beaten him again twice and I'm now going for the secret ending and platinum.

I picked up Shogun Shadow Tactics for £4 on psn last week which should keep me busy until Hades comes out in late August.

Man of Honour
Ori Will of the Whisps 10/10

One of, if not the best game I’ve played. An absolute masterpiece, visually, game design, breathtaking audio and soundtrack, a lovely story. I might have gotten something in my eye a couple of times. Very challenging and not usually my type of game, but it was worth persevering. Some of the chase segments were frustrating, but wow, what a game.

Caporegime
Control - 2/5

Whatever I played after God of War had a lot to live up to but this game sucked.

First thing that hit me were the graphics, it looks like something developed over a decade ago and the animations are some of the worst I've seen this century. It's got some decent lighting effects but that's like wrapping tinsel around a turd, it's still a turd.

Navigating between areas during missions was also a complete ball ache. I completed the game in 11 hours and at least 4 of those were spent endlessly walking back and forth looking for a door to get to the next area. The fact you get transported back to the last checkpoint you used when you die, rather than the nearest one to your last location, didn't help matters nor did the obscenely long loading times.

The atmosphere and gameplay were both top notch but the story, which I enjoyed for the first half of the game, went off the rails later in the game and I lost interest completely around mission 8, by which point it had become a complete chore to play.

Caporegime
Control - Foundation DLC - 0/5

Everything I hated about Control but with a few new missions, a couple of new abilities, a very bland map and a **** load of bugs.

The game got stuck on the loading screen on 3 occasions, it crashed while I was playing twice, the mission to interreact with the pillar at the top of the warehouse glitched and wouldn't let me continue and the last boss completely disappeared mid fight and I had to restart.

The single worst DLC I've ever played. It's an embarrassment now and even worse to see so many complaints about the bugs when it was released. Scummy developers obviously prioritised the second DLC over fixing this mess.

Soldato
Control - Foundation DLC - 0/5

Everything I hated about Control but with a few new missions, a couple of new abilities, a very bland map and a **** load of bugs.

The game got stuck on the loading screen on 3 occasions, it crashed while I was playing twice, the mission to interreact with the pillar at the top of the warehouse glitched and wouldn't let me continue and the last boss completely disappeared mid fight and I had to restart.

The single worst DLC I've ever played. It's an embarrassment now and even worse to see so many complaints about the bugs when it was released. Scummy developers obviously prioritised the second DLC over fixing this mess.
Kinda funny that you went back for more, after not liking the main game :D

Caporegime
Kinda funny that you went back for more, after not liking the main game :D
The Ultimate Edition was free with PS Plus a few months ago so I wanted to get my moneys worth, still felt ripped off :D

Completed the AWE DLC last night and enjoyed that one a bit more. Better map, closer check points, didn't crash and the main mission didn't glitch. Also didn't have any issues with the trophies which I did when trying to find all the collectibles for the Foundation yesterday afternoon. Felt like AWE was made by a completely different company tbh, still looked like turd but it was a far more polished experience and a decent 3/5.

Soldato
Ghost of Tsushima: 7/10.

Overall an enjoyable game, but like with AC games, can get a bit bloated if you're like me and simply have to do all side quests etc.
Story was fairly standard and highly predictable. Looked really nice at times. Glad I played it, just need to finish up a few things on the map.

Soldato
Need for speed hot pursuit remastered

7/10

Went into this expecting nothing but a bit of nostalgia and to pass an hour and ended up finishing it, was loads of fun some great in game action and the sense of speed at times insane. Really fun arcade racing game that still looks a little dated despite the remaster and the car handling feels a little off at times but very entertaining once you get past those niggles

Caporegime
Going to upset someone badly here... maybe more than one :p

The Last Of Us - 6.5/10

Overhyped if you asked me (you didn't, I know).

Plot was fairly standard zombie affair. Heavily inspired by every zombie film and game out there, because zombies are zombies, and they aren't really known for their expansive repertoire; they just like brains. Raw. The plot, such as it was, had all the usual tropes included for good measure. Dad loses daughter, meets girl of similar age, is initially cold/distant, but they soon bond over their shared love of running away from zombies. Two hours later, Dad would kill the whole world to protect her. And *all* the other tropes :p

Gameplay was more than a little repetitive. I didn't help myself by trying to be stealthy, and the stealth gameplay is the most tedious and frustrating. Eventually when you **** up the stealth the AI spawns in extra enemies and you just get down to shooting each other anyhow.

Some things made no sense at all...

You can make a proximity mine in the field from scrap metal and fertiliser (yes it's a proximity mine - I have no idea what the trigger/sensor is either).
You can't make arrows. Unlike a simple proximity mine, arrows are too complex to make from scrap metal and wood, presumably.
An arrow is a one-shot kill from any range against unarmoured targets. It doesn't matter what body part you hit. Leg, head, arse... all fatal.
A carefully aimed bullet to the chest, however, typically takes about 3 hits to kill. Logic.
Arrows are the rarest ammunition in the game. All types of bullets and other munitions are far more common. And this is 20+ years after the collapse of society and all industry.

Frustrations include...

Swing and a miss! You can often find yourself swinging at an enemy and not connecting, because he's in a door frame. Or you're in door frame. Door frames are safe spaces and melee combat is not allowed! Works both ways tho, I had one guy trying to hit me for about 30 seconds and just endlessly missing. Eventually his mate shot me as I was too busy laughing.

Sneak attack similarly works when it wants to. Other times it just doesn't. Because.

Arrows. You can sometimes re-use them. Sometimes not. Sometimes the game just says F-you and de-spawns them, like after a cut-scene/scripted battle. Good luck being the archer character that seemed like it would be lot of fun. You can maybe fire that bow 20 times in the whole game? The rest of the time it's a paperweight, because nobody in this universe can make arrows. If only it could fire proximity mines...

The button mashing bits. So many of them. I hate button mashing QTEs and these are everywhere. Mash square to open a door, mash square to not die instantly, mash square to dance the electric bugaloo.

The AI director nearly always spawns enemies right in the middle of the map, very close to you, sometimes in flanking positions (which is cheap). Amusingly, I have a save where if you walk backwards (the game apparently always expects you to walk forwards) you can actually see the enemies popping into existence right in front of you.

If you **** up and choose "restart encounter", at least a couple times the game bugged out and placed me at the start of the next encounter, assuming I'd beaten the one I had cocked up. You also can't restart an encounter that you beat with 1% health. The game has already autosaved.

The stealthy playstyle is super tedious. And the game doesn't reward you for being stealthy either. The run and gun playstyle is easier, more fun, and makes the game a *lot* shorter (despite giving you more enemies to kill). Also there are a few sections where you can't stealth, so putting all your character points in stealth skills would be a kick in the nuts when you get to those points.

The most effective way to play is simply to melee smash everything around you, occasionally unloading a quick shotgun blast. But the running melee attack is an instant kill on every common enemy in the game, including the armoured ones. So why spend 20x as long sneaking around... Also the running smash takes at most a couple seconds, whereas the animation for the stealth choke attack is about 10 seconds long, can't be cancelled, and leaves you vulnerable the whole time.

Caporegime
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - 4/5

This game really shows off the power of the PS5, it's absolutely stunning and looks like a Pixar movie it places. Also great fun to play with a nice little story and a variety of different weapons but as already mentioned in this thread, there's absolutely nothing to differentiate between the two characters in terms of playstyle which was a missed opportunity.

Would've loved to give it 5/5 but it's just too short, my PS5 says 12 hours for the Platinum although my Internet was down last night and it didn't count at least 4 hours of game time. Still ridiculously short and almost half the time it took me to complete the last R&C game on the PS4.

Soldato
Going to upset someone badly here... maybe more than one :p

The Last Of Us - 6.5/10

Overhyped if you asked me (you didn't, I know).

All fair comments, 10/10 for me personally back when I played it first - but I get where you're coming from.

I'm interested about the 'tropes" comment. My memory might be failing me, but remember that this is a PS3 game that came out in 2013, so I think a fair few of the tropes came after? Certainly those thinsg became more tropey as time went on.

When I played it the first time, it felt very new and fresh. Played it on the PS4 remaster when that came out and then once right afeter I finished TLOU2.
After finishing it for the third time, I told a work colleague that he needs to pull finger (avid gamer thats had the original on the shelf since he bought it in 2013), because I'm remembering and experiencing it through rose-tinted glasses and he needs to hurry TF up, as I think it might start to show its age.

Caporegime
Well The Wakling Dead debuted in 2010, according to wiki. I know I watched the first couple seasons and lost interest after.

TLOU uses many of the ideas/tropes from TWD, for a start. But obviously before that you have many many zombie films. And other post-apoc films like Mad Max. It's fair to say that TLOU has gathered tropes from all of them.

Man of Honour
TLOU has a decent story and characters for a video game, which was greatly exaggerated into being amazing story telling regardless of the media.

The gameplay was always playing second fiddle to the story and was a pretty generic slow paced action game with poor controls and formulaic encounters.

Back
Top Bottom