The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
The Last of Us Remastered - PS4 Pro. 95%

Having dismissed the idea of joining the console peasantry for a long time, I recently caved in, got a console and I'll honestly say that it's probably worth buying a PS4 for this game.

The graphics don't live up to modern high end PC standards but the story is beautifully written with characters you will care about, the atmosphere created is highly engaging and immersive, and the game achieves its aim of keeping you on edge for the whole ride. There is some serious psychological toying going in places. I genuinely felt really anxious on several occasions simply because of the sound engineering. Playing with a proper surround setup is a joy.

The game's stealth mechanics are perfectly realised and will be more than satisfying for anyone who enjoyed Dishonoured, Batman AA or Deus Ex:HR in my opinion.

The story is also very satisfying in its conclusion. Take note, PC devs!

I can't handle scary games so anyone like me can rest assured that while it's definitely creepy and edgy, it's not going to give you palpitations and make you stop playing.

Just about to start the DLC. Thumbs up. Better than almost everything I've played on PC in the past few years with the exception of Witcher 3 and Human Revolution.

Associate
Tomb Raider (2013)

I very much enjoyed this. Easy to jump in and out of, I only have a few fragmented hours per week for games, and this was perfect.

7/10

Rise of the Tomb Raider
is up next.

Oh, and this new Lara is rather nice too :)

Soldato
I don't get to play games that often so am always very late to the party.

However, I've just finished Alien Isolation and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I tended to pay a mission a night as I only have about an hour available to play often that was enough as I couldn't stand the tension and the fear. I'd come off the game shaking and heart thumping so hard I thought I'd injure myself.

Only the last couple of missions did I feel confident to be more offensive with the Alien.

Can't really think why I'd rate in any less than a 10 really. Maybe some the levels without the Alien felt a bit filler-ish. It was absent a little too long at one point but that's about my only criticism.

Soldato
I don't get to play games that often so am always very late to the party.

However, I've just finished Alien Isolation and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I tended to pay a mission a night as I only have about an hour available to play often that was enough as I couldn't stand the tension and the fear. I'd come off the game shaking and heart thumping so hard I thought I'd injure myself.

Only the last couple of missions did I feel confident to be more offensive with the Alien.

Can't really think why I'd rate in any less than a 10 really. Maybe some the levels without the Alien felt a bit filler-ish. It was absent a little too long at one point but that's about my only criticism.

Congratulations on getting through it! It is a really tense game and because of that, I actually felt a real sense of achievement when I completed it. And yeah, it's hard to find any faults with the game - top marks from me too.

Soldato
India Jones and Emperor's Tomb (2003). Picked this up from GOG for £1.19 (on sale - usual price £4.69) and enjoyed every minute of the 20 hours it took to complete the game. Plays a lot like the original Tomb Raider games only with much better combat which is really satisfying and I imagine quite innovative for it's time. The controls are a bit loose at first but you soon get used to them and aside from some frustratingly place checkpoints this really is a forgotten little gem IMO. It completely captures the feel of an India Jones movie for me. 8/10.

Soldato
India Jones and Emperor's Tomb (2003). Picked this up from GOG for £1.19 (on sale - usual price £4.69) and enjoyed every minute of the 20 hours it took to complete the game. Plays a lot like the original Tomb Raider games only with much better combat which is really satisfying and I imagine quite innovative for it's time. The controls are a bit loose at first but you soon get used to them and aside from some frustratingly place checkpoints this really is a forgotten little gem IMO. It completely captures the feel of an India Jones movie for me. 8/10.

Oh, that was a very good game, it's great that some people still remember it. I can't believe it's been roughly 15 years already...
Have you played IJ and the Infernal Machine? That was the one that came before Emeperors Tomb, it'll feel very dated now but I thoroughly enjoyed its atmosphere and puzzles when I was a kid:)

Soldato
Lifeless Planet. This is a brilliant little game. I've never experience a game like it before and probably won't again. Whilst it's essentially a 3D platforming game with a few puzzles, it's just so intriguing and immersive with a fantastic soundtrack. I've never felt so much wonder and joy playing through a game before. 9/10 (loses a point as the developer promised to implement a fix for ultra wide resolutions and didn't follow through with it).

Associate
Dead Space 3 - 7.5/10

Really enjoyed this game. On my older dual 780 SLI setup I could max all visual options. The game itself took a bit of warm up time for me to get into but about 1/3 of the way in I was sold. Great way to spend 20+ hrs for the price of a hamburger. Will def be on the look out for #4 whenever it's released. Gave it 7.5 vs 8 due to the constant driver failure issues...

Soldato
Dead Space 3 - 7.5/10

Really enjoyed this game. On my older dual 780 SLI setup I could max all visual options. The game itself took a bit of warm up time for me to get into but about 1/3 of the way in I was sold. Great way to spend 20+ hrs for the price of a hamburger. Will def be on the look out for #4 whenever it's released. Gave it 7.5 vs 8 due to the constant driver failure issues...

I'm a big fan of the first 2 but have heard only negative things about 3. Glad to hear you enjoyed it - must have a go at it myself then as it's available via my Origin Access subscription...

I quite enjoyed the whole religious cult angle to the story in the first 2, does this continue in 3 or is a completely different storyline?

Soldato
Story line continues. There was a lot of negativity around the micro-transactions (i.e. pay to win) when the game first came out. Believe you can have multiplayer on it as well but it's been a while. They released them as part of a humble bundle deal with DS1 and DS2 being on Steam but DS3 forcing you to use Origin.

It's not a bad game though - I played it ages ago and, from memory, would give it 6/10. It didn't really take the series on or conclude the series as far as I can recall.

M.

Soldato
Story line continues. There was a lot of negativity around the micro-transactions (i.e. pay to win) when the game first came out. Believe you can have multiplayer on it as well but it's been a while. They released them as part of a humble bundle deal with DS1 and DS2 being on Steam but DS3 forcing you to use Origin.

It's not a bad game though - I played it ages ago and, from memory, would give it 6/10. It didn't really take the series on or conclude the series as far as I can recall.

M.

Ah cheers, that explains a lot of the hate then.

Soldato
Witcher 3 - 10/10

I've been playing the Witcher titles since the original and only got given Withcer 3 for Christmas last December. Upon installation on the 1st of January, I've only recently completed the game, I decided to do as many of the little side quests I could find, and not because the main story is short or in any way boring.

Witcher 3 deservedly has the GOTY title for 2015 and it is not difficult to see why, it is an example of a concept that has been improved over the past decade and all the refinements have come together.

Would love another game which comes close to this in terms of play-ability, graphics, music and the story line.

I spent about 160 hours to complete it the first time :)

Soldato
Mass Effect Andromeda - 7.75 / 10

A bit of a weird one really. On one hand in the same area things can be amazing, yet on the other fall flat. For Graphics and animation, the animations fall face flat, yet at the same time some of the environments and skyboxes in the game are amazing. Things like swooping around the various solar systems is pretty amazing (though repetitive).

The story starts off pretty decent, has a long and weak middle but then picks up near the end. Really it sets you up for another title which is no big surprise as its likely to be another trilogy.

There are plenty of neat side quests, too many fetch quests, on on one hand some companions have great stories and other's fall flat.

Multiplayer is a blast and will keep you addicted for a fair few hours.

Overall while not as spectacular as number 2 and 3, I rate it higher then one (flame suit is on) and had a blast playing it.

Soldato
I completed Watch Dogs 2 last night. I've had it since December and never managed to get through it. I hated it. Truly hated it. The characters, the story, the driving, the dialogue....I felt no connection at all to anyone in the game, nor did I have an interest in their goal. It was a present, so not major loss other than the 30+ hours I sunk into it. I much prefered the original.

4/10 - Points go toward music and graphics only.

Soldato
Cal of duty infinite warfare,

Not too sure what all the fuss was about tbh tho I'm a single player myself so I won't be touching the multiplayer, I picked this up for £8 it gave me about 8/9 hours of story that I thought was quite good nothing groundbreaking but was good, 7/10 for me.

Soldato
I completed Watch Dogs 2 last night. I've had it since December and never managed to get through it. I hated it. Truly hated it. The characters, the story, the driving, the dialogue....I felt no connection at all to anyone in the game, nor did I have an interest in their goal. It was a present, so not major loss other than the 30+ hours I sunk into it. I much prefered the original.

4/10 - Points go toward music and graphics only.

I couldn't get into Watch Dogs 2 at all. Even though the map is pretty amazing (as usual in Ubi titles), there's something off about how the game plays and the driving is indeed cack.

Back
Top Bottom