The last game you completed, and rating.

Well I'll give a quick comment on it (Bioshock Infinite).

Negatives first:
- stuttering and occasionally clunky gameplay is frustrating.
- 1912 America is not my cup of tea (or anything really in the last 100 years).
- save system is annoying, but manageable.

And that's it.

The rest of this game is a visual, mental and emotional feast, the likes of which I have rarely experienced before.
Say what you will about the plot and the ending - being loosely based on theoretical science we don't even understand properly and likely never will understand (finite beings trying to comprehend infinite possibilities and the multiverse just isn't going to happen), it can be debated over and over until the cows come home.
You can go even more meta and say the game/plot is a reflection of the entire game industry, with the themes portrayed - constants, variables and so on (don't want to say more).
The overall package is a masterpiece, almost faultless in its design and execution. You can see the love the devs poured into making this, and it's refreshing to see a singleplayer experience worthy of merit in these times where everything is shifting towards having multiplayer components.

The experience is better than most movies and books, and I'd rate it as one of the top 5 games I've ever played with a solid 9/10 (just one mark off for the negatives listed above).

Tomb Raider 8.5/10 Love the game, and first Tomb Raider I actually finished.
Crysis 2 7.5/10 Love the story and the setting.
Crysis 3 7/10 Short and I prefer the previous one.

Currently playing Far Cry 3

Arcania Gothic 4 - 7/10
Very nice action rpg with great exploration, but last part of the game took a dive and was just linear combatfest, so I took one point off the score.

Well I'll give a quick comment on it (Bioshock Infinite).

Negatives first:
- stuttering and occasionally clunky gameplay is frustrating.
- 1912 America is not my cup of tea (or anything really in the last 100 years).
- save system is annoying, but manageable.

And that's it.

The rest of this game is a visual, mental and emotional feast, the likes of which I have rarely experienced before.
Say what you will about the plot and the ending - being loosely based on theoretical science we don't even understand properly and likely never will understand (finite beings trying to comprehend infinite possibilities and the multiverse just isn't going to happen), it can be debated over and over until the cows come home.
You can go even more meta and say the game/plot is a reflection of the entire game industry, with the themes portrayed - constants, variables and so on (don't want to say more).
The overall package is a masterpiece, almost faultless in its design and execution. You can see the love the devs poured into making this, and it's refreshing to see a singleplayer experience worthy of merit in these times where everything is shifting towards having multiplayer components.

The experience is better than most movies and books, and I'd rate it as one of the top 5 games I've ever played with a solid 9/10 (just one mark off for the negatives listed above).

Also bioshock and I'd add on repetitive combat to the list of negatives with some vigors and weapon combinations being pretty much useless. Due to that, I'd give it 8.5/10

Completed Tomb Raider, I enjoyed it. The story was good, acting excellant however I did not like the over reliance on scripted sequences. 7/10.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R : Clear Sky + Mod pack (comprising of bits from - Mystery, Complete, Misery, CS Remix, Absolute Nature etc).

8.5 / 10. Best CS mod I've played thus far.

To fix crashing, particularly when in dx10 / 10.1, uninstall the Microsoft update : 'KB2670838' (27th Feb).

Bioshock Infinite

9.5 due to the bizarre lack of a proper savegame function, weapons being somewhat restricted and me still not getting my pre-purchase rewards yet. Still almost certainly game of the year. The content, the quality, the writing, story, characters and relationships probably deserve about 96%, in fairness. I got over 30 hours out of my first playthrough and will be immediately replaying it on an easier setting for even more fun.

Bioshock Infinite

10/10 -Story was amazing, kept me wanting to keep playing, settin was amazing and this didnt feel like a sequel got same feeling i had when i played Bioshock, amazing game! Also characters were good and Elizabeth was actually helpful.

Tomb Raider Review

Just after playing a few hours of Tomb Raider, utterly bored of it so thought I would do a quick pro and cons of it.

Pros:

Decent characters make it more enjoyable to follow the story, good voice over and animation with detailed cut scenes. The graphics, post effects and the hair...all pretty damn good for what you get. Plenty of "hidden package" gta style things to collect, even if they are kinda uninteresting.

Weapon customization is versatile and well thought out and the guns feel good, literally it feels good to fire them for some reason.

Controls feel smooth, moving about is easy.

Unfortunately, that is about as far as I can stretch it.

Cons:

QUICK TIME EVENTS, there are lots of them. It almost made it feel like a interactive movie where you get to decide what happens next, not only are they boring and repetitive but unresponsive even at 50fps.

Gameplay wise it seems catered towards the "chilled" gamer, in the past Tomb Raider games were based on puzzles and exploring where ledges = deadly, this game won't even let you fall from a height.

Too many failsafes, autograb, autoduck, autoclimb/jump.

The UI, it is just tedious to navigate, even after you get used to it you still find yourself entering a menu and forgetting why you even went there due to the fact you are lost.

Overall:

Another attempt at reviving an already dead franchise, it is not as bad as Tomb Raider Legend but it is no Chronicles/II either.

Over all I would rater it a mere 4/10, 2 for effort, 2 for looks.

Hope you enjoyed reading my harsh view :) :p

Anyone else got anything to add?

Mafia II, yep last game I completed.

The story, my god the STORY!!! 10/10

Too bad most games only stay installed for a few hours now before I get bored with there terrible game play and predictable plots.

your wrong, but thats my view

later quicktime events almost disappear after hour 3 or 4.

ui is fine dont know what ur on about.

less puzzles agree but the story was great and fights were nice!:D

7-8/10 for me

Ultimately I looked at it as a reboot - in the assumption that the proper tombs and puzzle elements, etc. would come in sequels once they set the stage.

While the QTEs are more prevalent in the earlier stages of the game they don't go away completely and are still mostly annoying rather than anything else in the rest of the game. I also found them unresponsive and often buggy - I don't think they were tested on keyboard as well as they were on controllers (not sure what input method you used).

Movement was ok but the lack of proper strafing (other than when aiming down sights) was a major let down IMO for those on keyboard and mouse. Most of the time movement was fluid tho so if they can fix that I'd rate it highly in future games.

While I enjoyed it overall personally how big a sucess or failure it was for me will depend on how well they capitalise on it with follow up games and if they actually look at what worked and what didn't from this game and fix those things in future games.

your wrong, but thats my view

later quicktime events almost disappear after hour 3 or 4.

ui is fine dont know what ur on about.

less puzzles agree but the story was great and fights were nice!:D

7-8/10 for me

I guess it is all done to taste really, I just did not like the UI at all, the Tab menu just made it feel, dunno, didn't feel like that "Aw right, thats where *insert whatever you are looking for* is".

The story seems good yeah, I maybe should have mentioned that but with modern games they can never get the difficulty, story and graphics balanced, there is either too much of one and never enough of the other.

Anyway, /rant :p

Batman Arkham City 8.5/10

Arkham asylum felt a bit darker than this, its probably due to all the lights on the buildings. Good plot, felt that gameplay was tweaked a bit to be better than the previous one. Overall, both are good games. Dunno why I didnt play them before.

Back
Top Bottom