US: The Last Kingdom - Yes it's better than Game of Thrones

Soldato
Started reading the books from the beginning again yesterday as I just couldn't resist (also oiled my spear shaft :eek::o;) and axe haft, repaired my shield straps, cleaned my helmet and mail as it's Battle of Hastings this weekend at Battle Abbey :D:D:D, best close to any season ever :D)

Soldato
Started reading the books from the beginning again yesterday as I just couldn't resist (also oiled my spear shaft :eek::o;) and axe haft, repaired my shield straps, cleaned my helmet and mail as it's Battle of Hastings this weekend at Battle Abbey :D:D:D, best close to any season ever :D)

You do re-enactment? :eek:

Soldato
You do re-enactment? :eek:

:o:o I do indeed:o:o

Restarted a couple of years ago after doing loads through the 90s until 10-15 years ago but got fed up with the petty politicking of tin pot Napoleons who have nothing else in life. I now attend on the understanding that if they do not allow me to hit things HARD and feed me meat I shall not play, and if anyone suggests me taking on any kind of responsibility role they just get the stare................. ;)

Soldato
After reading Cornwells books, I hope in this series they refer to them as 'Danes' or 'Norsemen'. I don't think the word 'Viking' existed until modern times.

/pedantic

Soldato
After reading Cornwells books, I hope in this series they refer to them as 'Danes' or 'Norsemen'. I don't think the word 'Viking' existed until modern times.

/pedantic

Just saw the trailer on TV, seemed to be calling them Danes.

Trailer looked a bit cheesy to be honest, not sure how gritty this is going to be.

Soldato

/pedantic

From the Old English poem Widsith found in the 10th Century Exeter Book, the poem itself thought to date in style from the 9th Century

Hroþwulf ond Hroðgar heoldon lengest
sibbe ætsomne suhtorfædran,
siþþan hy forwræcon wicinga cynn

Important bit bolded, translates as Viking-Kin

The word definitely existed but you are right as to the English they would most often been referred to as Danes or Northmen. Many scholars feel most thought of "Viking" as an activity rather than social or racial group.

Soldato
Great it's been moved :D

First episode was so-so, second was much better, All feels a bit rushed though, I hope things settle down.

Also I wonder how much of the rest of the Ripper Street cast will make an appearance :p

Back
Top Bottom