The Last of US II Spoiler and story discussion thread.

Soldato
Just finished it about ten minutes ago and it was incredible.

The downward trajectory of Ellie was matched by the upward of Abby, with Ellie being consumed by guilt and hatred, losing her friends by her actions and the destruction of those around her. She became quite an unlikable character, although pretty 'fun' to play. I guess that was the whole point though, revenge, PTSD and so on having a psychological effect on people.

I loved playing Abby and watching her develop, making attachments and developing the humanity that Ellie was losing. She was more mature than Ellie in many ways, especially when she had Lev to live for. However, as somebody else pointed out, she had a tough fight in the basement of the hospital.

I guess the end, where she 'forgives' Abby, is fulfilling her forgiveness of Joel. Abby and Joel were alike and mirrored visually, amongst other ways, by the carrying of the child to safety. Ellie forgave Abby to save herself and allowed her to get on with her life. I guess that's why she leaves the guitar behind as well, on top of finding it a little awkward to play.

I really find the 'outrage' against it bemusing, especially the review bombing and so on. I guess it shows that the little boys will continue to be insignificant as the game has sold quite well, I hear. So weird when they pick on silly things like sexuality, Jews (honestly, read some Twitter stuff) and well-built female characters. Seriously, my wife manages a gym and there are some seriously hench ladies out there.

10/10 for me, an emotionally exhausting but incredibly involving game.

Well said, agree 100%. Best review I've read

Soldato
Just finished it tonight myself and I loved it. Brutal, depressing, emotional. Im honestly amazed and how a video game in this day and age can make you feel like that. It was a strange mixture of depressing and brutal fun lol. I have to add aswell.. I never read the leaks and wasn't spoiled at all so everything in the game was fresh. I really don't see where the outrage is regarding this game lol. You needed something big to happen for Ellie to go on this journey and yes it was a shock.. but in no day did it effect my love and enjoyment of this game. It just seems like people are salty as hell because of what happened to there favourite character and cant get over that so call the game "bad".

Soldato
None of which was reflected again later, as most of the characters where throw aways. If you are going to build doubt in a long story it has to build and build, not choosing to throw in a flashback at the very last possible moment.

Hasn't played the game.

It's their typical hating on a PlayStation exclusive nonsense

The game was incredible. Top 5 games this gen for me.

Associate
I was one of the unfortunate people who had the story spoiled for me when the leaks came out. For the weeks running up to the games launch I was very downbeat and essentially expecting to absolutely hate it.

I didn't want to cancel my pre-order until I saw the reviews - and we all know how that went. So I kept my order and when it came I played the game for an hour or so but the doubt still lingered, even as I played through the first half of the game as Ellie, having a great time - I found myself feeling more dread creep in as I knew that I'd have to play as Abby soon.

But holy crap did they nail it. Within a couple of hours I found myself slowly warming to her and her whole "gang". By the end of Abbys section I was feeling extremely torn between a beloved character and this new one. The fights between Ellie and Abby had me grimacing since I didn't want either of them to die.

Ugh, so good!

Man of Honour
I had 2 weeks off work and the past week has solely been playing this, I have not even watched any of my TV shows as I wanted to spend as much time getting back into the story as possible and so I did just that. Took me 30 hours maybe slightly more and it was a blast.

I only wish the ending had some mention of where Dina went considering the entire game world has letters left by people for those they care about so back at the farmhouse there's not one to be found which was a bit of a shame.

One thing that I did find slightly annoying is the difference in graphical quality between some areas indoors vs outdoors and vice versa in other areas. It's clear that some parts of the game were developed months/years apart as the texture shading isn't as detailed and looks washed out. I also found one shower in a hotel room where the glass created a blocky texture mess when you move the camera around the viewport so this shower got missed in QC it seems lol.

Overall really enjoyed it and one of the few games in recent years aside from Metro Exodus that I finished by exclusively dedicating time to for however long it took.

I have no more reason to get a PS5 now unless something fantastic comes out that isn't also on PC.

Soldato
I was one of the unfortunate people who had the story spoiled for me when the leaks came out. For the weeks running up to the games launch I was very downbeat and essentially expecting to absolutely hate it.

I didn't want to cancel my pre-order until I saw the reviews - and we all know how that went. So I kept my order and when it came I played the game for an hour or so but the doubt still lingered, even as I played through the first half of the game as Ellie, having a great time - I found myself feeling more dread creep in as I knew that I'd have to play as Abby soon.

But holy crap did they nail it. Within a couple of hours I found myself slowly warming to her and her whole "gang". By the end of Abbys section I was feeling extremely torn between a beloved character and this new one. The fights between Ellie and Abby had me grimacing since I didn't want either of them to die.

Ugh, so good!

During the early part of Abby's section I was feeling a bit like I would rather have played Abby in the DLC, and not been left hanging on the big moment with Ellie and Abby...but by the time I got to the confrontation, and the follow ups, you're much more sympathetic towards Abby than Ellie. I'd be quite happy if there was a DLC featuring Abby & Lev....hell, I'd be happy if there was another sequel with em!

Soldato
Amazing, defining game. I gushed about it in the main thread and the only lingering gripe is the knife fight at the end that was way OTT and came dangerously close to sadism. Gamifying bloodied women ripping into each other for an unrealistic amount of time ecliped what was an otherwise an excellent build up/finale. A better ending imho would have been for Ellie to free Abby from those sick basts and in the process find some forgiveness. They were both motived by the death of a father figure and both lived to see the loss and harm that revenge brings. I don't think it would have been that much of a strecth and would have opened up nicely for a 3rd instalment with them looking for the Firelies together - with the goal of Ellie finding peace in giving up her life for a cure, righting Joel's wrong and making amends for Abby's loss in allowing her father's work to be finished.

Soldato
Just finished it, excellent though perhaps 4-6 hours too long. Story was incredible (mostly) and gameplay excellent. I went into with no spoilers, thought they were gonna kill Dina off first so was surprised when it was Joel. This whole lgbt hate is laughable, incel types are truly pathetic.

regarding the LGBT stuff had no issues with them writing the character as gay and Dina as bisexual. Hence their story and relationship and intimacy in game. I would not have a issue if they were written as straight, like 99% of other games, so not sure how you can have a issue with it and not others.

the only bit that felt shoehorned in there was lev being a transgender but meh it’s insignificant in the grand schemes of things.

thought Abbys character and development was great, wanted her dead for half of it and ended up routing for her. Star of the game. Not sure why people are questioning if she is female or trans? Clearly she is a woman. I liked the fact she was muscular and not so typical, suited her character, dad killed and spent her life training in the army for her revenge.

Not everything was great but not enough to take away from the game as a whole. Felt there were too many flashback bits. The end knife fight was unnecessary could have forgave her on the pike. The theatre fight with Ellie was pretty bad etc

10/10 and a good send off for my PS4

Soldato
Great game, I preferred the first a little more but that's likely to do with it being fresh and having no expectations.

Still I have no idea what all the hate has been about?

I managed to miss all spoilers but it was obvious from early on something was going to happen to Joel.

The final act was an act too far I think, but still enjoyed it on the whole.

The platinum trophy looks fairly easy to obtain but not sure I'm ready to dive back in as it is draining.

Permabanned
I've literally just finished it, currently sitting through the credits and wow. It's such a damn shame people won't play this due to online hate.
I'm so happy to have played it. Incredible.

Soldato
This one of my favourite reviews I've watched, contains spoilers obviously *snip*

*snip*

Really really worth a watch.

I've watched it multiple times and nothing she mentions in her video makes it a good story.

Then again i guess she technically wasn't trying to say that.

We have a very special, very different video for you all today. This isn't a review of The Last of Us Part II. This is an understanding of The Last of Us Part II.

Back
Top Bottom