The Last of Us Part II

Soldato
Might not have anything to do with HDR, but I really wished I could make Dina turn her flashlight off in some areas.
If she was lighting up the wall I was stood next to, I could see f-all down the corridors I was sneaking around.

Soldato
So finished the game last night, 27 hours roughly and whilst overall I enjoyed my time (and you can see my previous posts in this thread) I think it definitely lost momentum in the second half.

I rate the first game as a 9/10, gameplay was an 7.5-8 but the story was a 10. This time round I'd say the gameplay was a 9 (definite improvement in all areas and utterly brutal) and the story was a 6.5 so I'd probably say an 8/10 overall. It isn't warranting of the game of the generation tag (I'd argue GOW has that tag for me) but similarly it isn't warranting of the review bombing etc, if it had kept up the momentum from the first half of the game where the story was an 8.5 then I would have given it a higher score but the second half whilst alright didn't have the payoff to really warrant the length of time invested in that story arc.

Associate
So finished the game last night, 27 hours roughly and whilst overall I enjoyed my time (and you can see my previous posts in this thread) I think it definitely lost momentum in the second half.

I rate the first game as a 9/10, gameplay was an 7.5-8 but the story was a 10. This time round I'd say the gameplay was a 9 (definite improvement in all areas and utterly brutal) and the story was a 6.5 so I'd probably say an 8/10 overall. It isn't warranting of the game of the generation tag (I'd argue GOW has that tag for me) but similarly it isn't warranting of the review bombing etc, if it had kept up the momentum from the first half of the game where the story was an 8.5 then I would have given it a higher score but the second half whilst alright didn't have the payoff to really warrant the length of time invested in that story arc.
Most of the review bombing on metacritic are people who have never bought and played the game at least on amazon you have to purchase the game before you review it so take most of them metacritic reviews with a pinch of salt.

Soldato
Most of the review bombing on metacritic are people who have never bought and played the game at least on amazon you have to purchase the game before you review it so take most of them metacritic reviews with a pinch of salt.

Not true. There are numerous instances on metacritic of faked positive review as well. Seen countless duplicated posts with different usernames that are 10/10, likely partly attributable to marketing staff used by Naughty Dog.

Soldato
Phew....
Finally finished it.
(No spoilers ahead)

So, can someone tell me which bit I was supposed to whine and cry about online?
Seriously, I'm not trying to be too cool for school, I saw nothing that would warrant a review bombing or a hate campaign.
If someone could give me a couple of bullet points in spoiler tags that would be ace.

Sure it had it's ups and downs and I was not happy with what happened to the game after that 'middle bit'.
The game also outstayed its welcome and went on a bit longer than it should have.
There was a little wokeyness and waman-power, but nothing I felt I was being beaten over the head with.

So yeah, great game as long as you can push past the middle. I think I'll settle on a 7.5/10 when all is said and done.

Associate
This game sold through more than 4m copies in 3 days :eek: congrats to naughty dog!

To be fair, it deserves it as well. It is one of the best games I have played.

Some bits, generally the brutality, left me feeling a little down. However, for them to articulate

Ellie's slide into murderous obsession

via a bunch of pixels is quite astounding.

The soundtrack alone is quite something.

Soldato
To be fair, it deserves it as well. It is one of the best games I have played.

Some bits, generally the brutality, left me feeling a little down. However, for them to articulate

Ellie's slide into murderous obsession

via a bunch of pixels is quite astounding.

The soundtrack alone is quite something.
Yeah for sure. It does deserve it I loved it from start to finish. I don’t think I’ll be replaying anytime soon as it’s such a rollercoaster of emotion. I felt drained by the end :p

Soldato
I just finished before my research group meeting and seminar.

I left it at the point Abby gets to Santa Barbara, so was only an hour

I knew about one little piece that happens at the end, however, I managed to avoid a lot of the spoilers pretty well. I honestly thought that the character arcs were far too jumpy, failing to have consistency with the character. This kind of ruined the story for me in a similar way season 8 GoT. Which I was surprised to see so readily quoted by others. However, it is far from a 3/10 as some keep saying, more an 8 with the first a 9 IMO.

Soldato
So far the game is ok but not close to the original.

The pacing of the game is weird (as well as the story). There are long sections were you fight enemy after enemy i.e. you kill a load of enemies in one area then you have to fight another load of enemies in the next area. It makes it feel like its a slog to get through.

Also I don't think the first game had a lock-on feature, but in this game the number of times I've been trying to melee someone, or a dog, and my character suddenly turned the other way and was hitting at air as been a lot. Most of my deaths have come because of that, and also running up to someone to grab them to silent melee them only for it to not grab them and attack them instead, alerting all the areas soldiers.

At this point it seems the designers are just dragging out the fighting sections. I'm in the hillcrest area. I'm not sure how far that is in to the game.

Soldato
I’ve just finished it. I loved it.

Took it in chunks and didn’t power through. Was really thorough (at least I think I was :D) in each area.
I was surprised at it continuing at points but was happy at the further progression. The sound design and music was great besides the terrible first aid protein bars that you could find for some reason!
Thought it was great at purveying emotion and the characters personalities and I enjoyed the story and the general atmosphere of it all.

Wish I could have the first experience at playing through again.

Definitely will play it on PS5 as a remaster or whatever if only so that it doesn’t sound like the PS will launch from the tv stand or explode at some point.

Soldato
This is so well written and acted its bonkers. The change in dialogue the further you progress when doing simple tasks is so clever. I have one issue though...please let me break glass without having a bottle/brick.

Im at

ive just neganed Nora and Ellie is clearly disturbed by it. Its like her character is slowly breaking.

Soldato
I’ve just finished it. I loved it.

Took it in chunks and didn’t power through. Was really thorough (at least I think I was :D) in each area.
I was surprised at it continuing at points but was happy at the further progression. The sound design and music was great besides the terrible first aid protein bars that you could find for some reason!
Thought it was great at purveying emotion and the characters personalities and I enjoyed the story and the general atmosphere of it all.

Wish I could have the first experience at playing through again.

Definitely will play it on PS5 as a remaster or whatever if only so that it doesn’t sound like the PS will launch from the tv stand or explode at some point.

Im borrowing a ps4 to play this game and its like its taking off in my living room.

I wont replay this as i never do with story games and its a bit full on. Im not enjoying the experiance but im enjoying the story...if that makes sense. It isnt pleasent but thats kinda the point.

Im enjoying it more then the first tbh.

Soldato
This is so well written and acted its bonkers. The change in dialogue the further you progress when doing simple tasks is so clever. I have one issue though...please let me break glass without having a bottle/brick.

Im at

ive just neganed Nora and Ellie is clearly disturbed by it. Its like her character is slowly breaking.

You can break glass mate without a brick/bottle, you just press Square/melee when in front of it. Useful for vending machines and counters that have health in them.

Soldato
You can break glass mate without a brick/bottle, you just press Square/melee when in front of it. Useful for vending machines and counters that have health in them.

It doesnt seem to work when the glass a little above waist height. I think im nearing the end on Seattle day 3 and im struggling to see whats so controversial. It hasnt been as dark as i thought either.

Associate
It doesnt seem to work when the glass a little above waist height. I think im nearing the end on Seattle day 3 and im struggling to see whats so controversial. It hasnt been as dark as i thought either.
Nothing its ridiculous the backlash ohhh a muscular woman how dare they what an hairy armpit and homosexuality i want page 3 models in my video games.

Soldato
Beautiful, brutal, brilliant.

I was waiting for the "outrage" moment, the "woke agenda", but instead, I was taken on an emotional rollercoaster and ended up thinking it's simply one of the best games I've ever played. If anyone's on the fence, managed to not read spoilers, but have that feeling of dread because you have an incling of what might happen ... ignore it and PLAY THE GAME.

Back
Top Bottom