The Last of Us Part II

Soldato
Just started another play through on the PS5 with the 60FPS, wow! This looks absolutely amazing and I thought the PS4 version looked nice! I never really understood the 30/60 fps chat but my god, this is insane. When you go back to 30fps, it is just ridiculous

It is night and day, especially when viewed Side by side.

That said playing at 30fps originally on PS4 was a none issue as the game itself is just so good.

Soldato
Completed my 2nd play through, such a graphical treat with the PS5 upgrade, almost life like at times. I forgot how the story gets abit wonky at times! :p But still a great experience

Only 2 trophies left to get platinum, All player upgrades and All weapon upgrades - Gotta start another play through to Plat it, damn haha

V F

V F

Soldato
The area with the Seraphites and entering the hospital was very cinematic. I got chills when Ellie came back to the hospital in that long open corridor. I wont lie though, in this series hospitals and generators makes me so uneasy. :cry:

V F

V F

Soldato
Geez! Abby's journey is so dark, more so when I hit the forrest. That was daunting from last nights play. :D

Something feels bad ahead as it's getting darker and darker on this path. :eek:

I really miss Ellie's auto kills on klickers. Now it's back to the first games gameplay. Crafting shivs.

Soldato
Geez! Abby's journey is so dark, more so when I hit the forrest. That was daunting from last nights play. :D

Something feels bad ahead as it's getting darker and darker on this path. :eek:

I really miss Ellie's auto kills on klickers. Now it's back to the first games gameplay. Crafting shivs.

That whole Abby section is one of my favourite parts of the game. You've got quite a ride to come in the next few hours.

V F

V F

Soldato
There has been something very odd I've noticed facing klickers. The game says they cannot see you, yet I've had encounters of klickers spotting me kneeling stationary up to 15 - 20ft away with direct line of sight. With also no flashlight on. The same occurrence happened with Abby on the ship. One could see me through the windows when kneeling stationary. The spotting awareness sound was coming up for it while I was a good 15ft away.

V F

V F

Soldato
Did you move at all? They hear you and on harder difficulties they hear every little thing.

Nope. I never moved but once it had direct line of sight it saw me. Even restarted some checkpoints to double check it and I could repeat the situation 15 - 20ft away. This is on Survivor for the first playthrough. I've crept up on them very slowly behind and no detection, even sat behind them 3 - 5ft but if in front, they can detect you far away facing you with direct line of sight. The spotted notification starts highlighting.

The first time I started encountering this was in the courthouse.

However, using the bloaters/shamblers as bait is quite fun luring them in situations. They're so dumb. :D
The area where you've to smash the sliding doors was quite intense in such a confined area before climbing the building. Threw a brick in the side window and landed as the first distraction. Got a bottle in for the lure to group them all, then lobbed in two explosives. What a mess. Then left the shambler roaming while luring it to another area to get the supplies before sneaking out over the vehicle.

In some ways the play style is reminding me of Uncharted 4, run somewhere then sneak around to let the AI settle. Watching the patterns is quite fun before and after upsetting them. Same for the seraphites/scars. Humans aint as bad with detection on survival. Except the snipers.

It is getting real intense now, descending the building last night was where I ended. The stalkers are real nasty. So unpredictable. Either rush you or they run away then rush you. They're quite wacky with the long arms slapping away, jumping gaps on the floors or sliding through crevices. I do love the cheeky way they peek around the corners in the shadows.

The worst part I'll never forget with the stalkers was in the forrest, so frightening the way the fire was as they appeared from the shadows in every direction rushing you.

Soldato
There has been something very odd I've noticed facing klickers. The game says they cannot see you, yet I've had encounters of klickers spotting me kneeling stationary up to 15 - 20ft away with direct line of sight. With also no flashlight on. The same occurrence happened with Abby on the ship. One could see me through the windows when kneeling stationary. The spotting awareness sound was coming up for it while I was a good 15ft away.
That annoyed me a bit when I played it. Some of the clickers can definitely see you and they shouldn't be able to.

V F

V F

Soldato
Yeah the mechanic, they can't see you is fine so just creep about but the clicker 'echolocation' seems pretty random, isn't the definition they use it to 'see' or something?

On Grounded in the first game I could creep right in front of them facing me with the torch on and go undetected but not in the sequel.

Caporegime
Yeah the mechanic, they can't see you is fine so just creep about but the clicker 'echolocation' seems pretty random, isn't the definition they use it to 'see' or something?

Yes I remember now (been a while since I played it)

When they do the echolocation right at your direction, even if you stay still, they can 'see' you.

V F

V F

Soldato
Yes I remember now (been a while since I played it)

When they do the echolocation right at your direction, even if you stay still, they can 'see' you.

They must have upped the mechanics. I remember feeling that oh crap moment when they were starting to detect me 20ft away in the courthouse. Thinking this was new or broken. Considering what this games tutorials tells you.

No doubt I'll bet reason why it was changed was people were exploiting Grounded in the first game by holding the throwing button. It kept it at a fixed movement no matter how hard you pushed on the thumbstick to sneak by everything even in front of them. Or simply aiming with the pistol and getting by it would also slow it down to an undetected steady speed.

So now you have to be aware of your surroundings and areas that you can safely get behind quickly until it is clear. I'd bet this would be the reason for the main change.

Probably the same reason why they threw in so many stalkers for this reason. Can't completely bypass areas completely unnoticed without fighting a stalker or other infected getting alerted by big noises. As the stalkers will yell alerting the others just before they engage with you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally finished it the other day - wouldn't say that I hated it, but it wasn't a patch on the first in terms of story and characters, and in no way was it GOTY imo. I had no interest in Abby or any of the characters linked to her parts of the game - felt quite bad for the pregnant woman who was killed though; the facial animation at that point was quite haunting.

I really enjoyed the flashbacks to Ellie and Joel, the 'magic' was in those bits, but the rest of the time, the game just felt quite messy and with a very sub-par story. It felt like Naughty Dog had their B team write this one...

From a technical standpoint, ND killed it - it's amazing what they got the PS4 to do, and the 60fps on the PS5 is nice, same goes for sound - everything just sounded right.

Playing through again with Save+ just to go Rambo everywhere - the combat was pretty satisfying!

A solid 10/10 for graphics, sound and gameplay. But at best, a 6/10 for the story.
Spoilers?

Back
Top Bottom