The Left Handed Build

Associate
OP
I love a good box, bag or packet through the post. (don't like the paying part thought)
I always have to time purchases just right, so that I am home to receive the goodies & Mrs Piggin is in work.
I also like a nice early delivery so I have time to hide the evidence. :eek:

That is the best post ive read ever on OCUK, so you like me are a devious little so and so.
My current build which im trying to log is called project divorce and thats what I will be if she ever finds any of my little hidey holes lol!!

Thanks ChrisLandin, I never knew I was such a prolific writer. Obviously I am in the wrong job. :)

As for being devious, I would like to call it self preservation.
As for hiding things, that's almost impossible, as everyone will see as this build progresses (its a little big to hide)

Any way good luck with the divorce, sorry I should say new build.

Associate
OP
I get stuff sent to my work, I too would also be homeless if she found out how much PC components cost!

lol. I would love to send things to work but the boss would then start on about paying me too much money.

As for cost, I use my own credit card, hide all receipts & burn credit card statements.
All I need now is a net nanny to ensure she can not access any component retailers, to find out the prices.
She knows I am up to something but she does not know the scale (yet)

God help me when she finds out :mad:

Associate
OP
For this new build I wanted to go supper cool on the water system.

So the wallet came out once more.

DSCF1880.jpg

DSCF1882.jpg

The rad is a Black Ice SR-1 480

DSCF1884.jpg

I also called in to see the good people @ (name removed) & re-leaved them of a few fans
The fans are 120mm YateLoon D12SM x 38mm

DSCF0212.jpg

DSCF0218.jpg

DSCF0222.jpg

I also picked up some of (name removed) dense weave braid & heat shrink

DSCF0205.jpg

And then got to work on the new fans

Fans all set out on the rad, with the cables trimmed down.

DSCF0229.jpg

Cables cut to length & stripped back (sorry about the pictures but Mrs Piggin had the good camera)

DSCF0230.jpg

DSCF0232.jpg

Cables twisted together & soldered.

DSCF0233.jpg

Also went to the pound shop & purchased some clamps (yes they are a pound). So no more trips to the burns unit when using heat shrink.

DSCF0238.jpg

And finally the finished product

DSCF0242.jpg

Soldato
Lovely components going into this build .:) And good work on the braiding. Nice and tidy work with the heatshrink.:) Looks like you can see the red of the cable through the braid though. :( What make braid is it?

Associate
OP
Lovely components going into this build .:) And good work on the braiding. Nice and tidy work with the heatshrink.:) Looks like you can see the red of the cable through the braid though. :( What make braid is it?

Thanks Monkey Puzzle.
I am doing my best but everything is so time consuming.
As for the braid, I don't know if I can say but they a from south Wales where the pc' are chilled.
As for the red, all the pictures look like the red can be clearly seen. I believe this is to do with the flash on the camera. In real life you can't see through it.

Soldato
Awsome work on the fan braiding there, cant wait to see what you have got planned with the black ice 480 :D

Hmm bet Tom doesnt have any Yates left now :D

Associate
OP
Awsome work on the fan braiding there, cant wait to see what you have got planned with the black ice 480 :D

Hmm bet Tom doesnt have any Yates left now :D

Thanks Andy

No, Tom is now all out, I emptied the shelf, he is going to have to order more as I require another 8 120mm yate fans for the other rads.

As for the SR-1, you should ask what is he going to do with another two 140.4 rads :cool:

Associate
OP
Why "Left Handed"? :D Having looked through your STY build I'm looking forward to this one. :cool:

As promised, here is an explanation on what I am attempting to do.

Even though I was very happy with ‘The STY’ I thought that I could have a better water cooled system. I started looking around and decided that the only way to have a set up that I wanted was to do a scratch build. Shortly after this initial brainwave, I had a conversation with Tom @ Chilled on the possibilities of producing such a case. We both felt that if I could produce a frame for this new build then Tom would CNC the required panels.

So after this initial conversation I went away and started to do a few basic sketches of my new design. I then returned back to Tom where I was ridiculed about being ‘old school’ and using pen and paper and not sketch up. Again after this conversation, we both felt that this project could be manufactured and I went away to start the construction on the frame.

I thought about producing the frame from aluminium but the problem of creating a good looking corner arose. I then decided to use 20mm steel angle iron to build the frame as I could produce a frame with welded corners.

So that's the start of the story. Photos & why "The Left Handed Build" later today - just worked nights so of to bed now. Also builds tension for later.

Associate
looking forward to 5970 benches, I started out o/c ing mine but performance was worse than stock

also bought the ek block for the mobo but havent fitted it yet cos it works perfect without it !

Associate
OP
looking forward to 5970 benches, I started out o/c ing mine but performance was worse than stock

also bought the ek block for the mobo but havent fitted it yet cos it works perfect without it !

When I first started overclocking this motherboard the temperatures were quite high. I fitted the extra fan for the center cooler but that was a terrible noise.
Then fitted the water block & I have not looked back.
As for the 5970, I have not run any benches on it as such but will give it a go if you want.

Back
Top Bottom