US: The Leftovers

Well, after solid slow burner first season the whole thing just got Lindeloffed in under an hour. No explanation, no preparation, not a word of introduction to why and how several characters ended up in the same alternative location, but off they go with unprecedented behaviours chasing weird and bizarre every five minutes. Just questions, never answers.

Yarp, every new random tidbit that presented itself I kept saying to myself "oh here we go, and and again..."

The random dude on the podium, the crack in the floor, the burried bird in the box, the cricket, the mysterious apple pie that didn't get eaten and so on...

I'll give it the rest of the season to explain itself, but I'm not getting suckered in again. I'm still balls boiling livid about how he "ended" Lost.

Associate
Classic Leftovers - Episode 2 set before Episode 1.

However, it was good that they actually explained some stuff and that there was some form of explanation, particularly with Dora's old house but it still didn't give anything away other than the Dad was probably right all along and Kevin's visions are maybe more than just visions.

Associate
Started the first episode and was gutted they changed the intro as the 1st seasons was amazing (apart from the actual Leftovers title thing which was pants).
Really enjoyed it though and will def carry on watching but echo others here in the the Lostisms - I was well and truely stung on that one.

Soldato
Another good episode but I have no idea why they would put episode one before it except to simply confuse people - if so it was a cheap trick.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another good episode but I have no idea why they would put episode one before it except to simply confuse people - if so it was a cheap trick.

Personally thought it was great, threw you right off. Different family in the Murphy's who are certainly interesting.

There's obviously some kinda link with the cavewoman thing and the lake drying up, can't help but be baffled, but entertained...

Associate
WT actual F is going on? admittedly I've not seen last Mondays episode yet, watched the episode (4 I think) where the son encounters Meg and Lori meets the publisher last night but that episode was set primarily before the previous which is a method they appear keen to overuse. I know I said in an earlier post that it is a show that you need to stick with and eventually it will make sense but from where I'm at at the moment it just never feels like anything is happening.

It's almost as if they are trying to say 'the smokers were right all along but we don't know what facts make them right and no one actually seems to know why it happened nor what is still happening'.

Anyone else getting mightily frustrated with the show and keep thinking 'Lost, Lost, Lost' all over again?

Soldato
Nah, they just throw the odd little bizarre twist in like the nonsensical first nine minutes of the first episode and the fact that episode one doesn't make any sense until you've seen episode two - apart from that I think it's been excellent.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
There are moments in the series where I just can't believe week to week episodes are written by the same people. Last nights stand alone Ecclestone journey, was a superb "Leftover" episode from story telling perspective. Almost every plot line neatly wrapped within 45 minutes, several plot loops well navigated, coherent and as logical as story can be within boundaries of mad world presented. Just enough questions. Just enough answers. It was John Locke's moment of doubt banging on the hatch door good.

Associate
There are moments in the series where I just can't believe week to week episodes are written by the same people. Last nights stand alone Ecclestone journey, was a superb "Leftover" episode from story telling perspective. Almost every plot line neatly wrapped within 45 minutes, several plot loops well navigated, coherent and as logical as story can be within boundaries of mad world presented. Just enough questions. Just enough answers. It was John Locke's moment of doubt banging on the hatch door good.

I think Damon Lindelof has writing credits for every episode but they have a different co-writer and director for pretty much every episode. This weeks episode was co-written by the same woman who did the Matt episode last year.

Associate
Just enough questions. Just enough answers. It was John Locke's moment of doubt banging on the hatch door good.

Good call. I'm an episode behind but it's got some fine actors, just shining. There's not many shows where I find myself saying, "Woah..", out loud, when a little visual cue drops in like the dog without a leash running across the street and the backstory of it jumps into your head. Impressive show.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmmm;
We can second guess but Patti certainly alludes to that...
I hope so; There is talent here, no bounds. I just hope the writers have the content for it. The actors certainly do.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
And then after several solid weeks with plot going steady and well they serve you with entire hour of utter stoned bullpoo drivel of epic proportions. I no longer care how it fits into the last two years worth of storylines - I am not spending another minute of my time on Lindeloff yanking ship steering wheels inexplicably stuck in the wall to move magical Islands in time while some drunk is sobbing "we have to go back Kate" in the background again. I knew this would happen. I knew he would take us for a ride and then leave us in some purgatory ditch. Two years. Ef you Lindeloff. God, I hate that guy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom