The Little Mermaid (05/2023) live-action Disney remake

I am hardly saying its a perfect movie but still early days yet you never know, it could still perform better than you think. Thats of course, depends if your going to move the goal posts. 350 Mill. 500 Mill and ofc some says 700 Mill :D

It's always typically been double the budget to take into account marketing, cinemas also have to take their cut.

Will it make it to £500M?, it still could but the drop off has been fairly high. :)

EDIT: I'm seeing more sources claiming the break even point is more likely to be upwards of $800M. $250M budget + $150M marketing and advertising. Theatres keep 50% domestic and 60% international so at least double... If true then just, wow...

Last edited:
Maybe the problem isn't the International or Chinese audience, MSM basically calling everyone racists. Well done to china for rejecting this trash.

The same China that removed the picture of the black guy from the Star Wars posters? I don't think China are supporting your argument in the way you'd like

You seem fascinated by the numbers a film, which you think is trash and wont be watching, can manage. Bizarre.

Seems a bit bizarre from Disney to even release it in China given they only allow a certain number of Western films to be shown each year, maybe they thought it would do 60 odd million like Aladdin instead of 10% of that number

Seems a bit bizarre from Disney to even release it in China given they only allow a certain number of Western films to be shown each year, maybe they thought it would do 60 odd million like Aladdin instead of 10% of that number

Hubris. I could've told them it would flop there!

Though I never knew they had a limit to how many films they could show until I read the article a few posts up. Makes it even more of a weird/stupid choice.

The same China that removed the picture of the black guy from the Star Wars posters? I don't think China are supporting your argument in the way you'd like

You seem fascinated by the numbers a film, which you think is trash and wont be watching, can manage. Bizarre.

They also tried to hide Halle Bailey's skin colour in adverts in China, they've done similar in loads of movies.

Black Panther didn't do terribly over there, took over $100M. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is doing a lot better then TLM. Fast X has a diverse cast yet has grossed over $200M in China.

Seems they're more sensitive to race swapping in particular, might have something to do with Hollywood white washing Asian movies over the years.

Last edited:
I think it's a bit deeper than that but I can only speak anecdotally. One of my best friends is Chinese and we always joke around about how his families worst nightmare would be if he brought home a black girlfriend. Or the stories of my friends sister who went travelling and whilst they were out in some remote village in China, the locals were pulling her away from her friend, who was black, and saying something along the lines of demon. Then a few years ago they had that big fuss about a Chinese airliner telling people to avoid areas with black people

Note: I'm not demonising China or Chinese people. It just is what it is.

Last edited:
Note: I'm not demonising China or Chinese people. It just is what it is.

Seems like that's exactly what the MSM are doing, internationally this movie is doing terribly, this isn't limited to China, but this is what they focus on.

I don't think the Chinese are racist at all, but they almost certainly have preconceptions of what to expect from western movies and established IPs. It shouldn't be that surprising that when western media challenges, or misleads this audience, the response might not be positive.

Last edited:
The China thing with the black people on posters controversy is interesting.

Tenet was released in China
6bBseBvhfnQwWVZUNdyKzDJ2ND7.jpg

And Creed II was also released in China
iOFzwTfaFr48RMUaPi8g6o5estr.jpg

And they both had pretty decent takings over there.

If you look up black panther you do actually find this poster. Admittedly it is the only one with his face uncovered.
6DdJqNIQrXt1ShcczJR04H21jH9.jpg

There is probably more to the movie poster thing.

It needs $600m to break even. It's a complete bomb. Even i didn't think it wouldn't reach $600m

It's more than that, they spent $140M on global marketing plus the $250M budget. Theatres keep 50% domestic and 60% international.

It will probably limp over the $500M mark in a few weeks, but it's nowhere near enough.

Last edited:
It's more than that, they spent $140M on global marketing plus the $250M budget. Theatres keep 50% domestic and 60% international.

It will probably will limp over the $500M mark but it's nowhere near enough.
General rule of thumb is 2.5 times the movie budget, so it needs 625 million to break even.
Take justice league for example it made 670 million at the box office and made a 70 odd million loss against the rumoured 300 million budget.

Back
Top Bottom