The Little Mermaid (05/2023) live-action Disney remake

Saw it today.
For me the highlight was the barbie trailer before the film with Margot Robbie...
Nah...
I don't know how you can not like it really. It's very well done imo. Die hards will say it's not as good as the OG but, I think it captures all that and more. My daughter loved it. The ending was classic. I mean come on guys. What more do you want? Errr...It's a PG rating.

Saw it today.
For me the highlight was the barbie trailer before the film with Margot Robbie...
Nah...
I don't know how you can not like it really. It's very well done imo. Die hards will say it's not as good as the OG but, I think it captures all that and more. My daughter loved it. The ending was classic. I mean come on guys. What more do you want? Errr...It's a PG rating.

Totally agree, Thought it was a good movie particularly for children that haven't watched the original. it's baffling how one can constantly nit pick at the movie and looking for things that isn't really there particularly if you haven't watch it. If it doesn't appeal to you then don't watch it. I don't see how it's necessary to keep dwelling on negativity and bias on a fairy tale.

Last edited:
Seems everyone disagrees with you Vinny, don't give up the day job buddy :cry:

Funny how ithe break even figure keeps getting revised up as the movie starts to do well

$700 million. As if.

Even that $500 million figure they came up with includes money Disney pay to themselves for putting it on Disney+ in the future.

If also be amazed if the budget for this movie was really $250 million as the main star reportedly was only paid $500,000 so it certainly didn't have an expensive cast. Disney haven't officially announced the budget and variety thought it was nearer $200 million.

Last edited:
Her hair alone cost 150k :cry:

Disney haven't officially announced the budget and variety thought it was nearer $200 million.
$250 million

All that watery magic didn’t come cheap. “The Little Mermaid” has a $250 million production budget, so it will need to keep attracting crowds around the globe in order to break even.

Last edited:
u17WXhp.jpg

This came up on my recommended. I think it summed up the situation quite well. Probably not the right thread but who cares

It's interesting that it's the international audience that's rejected this movie. Across the Spider-Verse is doing just fine with a black lead so that completely destroys the racist narrative regarding the negative review ratings.

People are just sick of rubbish remakes and race swapping.

Maybe it's time shareholders in certain companies start suing, they're clearly not fulfilling their obligations to the shareholders by repeating the same mistakes which negatively impact sales.

It's now generated over $330 million worldwide and it's been rejected worldwide??

Also Miles Morales is original black. How is that race swapping??

Still don't follow why your obsessed with skin tone when it doesn't affect the story at all. Oh yes your thinking of the kids. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's now generated over $330 million worldwide and it's been rejected worldwide??
Solo did similar numbers to the little mermaid and that's universally recognised as a box office flop (also cost a similar amount to make), why is the little mermaid 'doing well' when Solo is a massive flop?
Also Miles Morales is original black. How is that race swapping??
Erm you know the history of Miles Morales right? I'd assume so considering you are pretty clued up on superhero stuff :p

Last edited:
Solo did similar numbers to the little mermaid and that's universally recognised as a box office flop (also cost a similar amount to make), why is the little mermaid 'doing well' when Solo is a massive flop?

Erm you know the history of Miles Morales right? I'd assume so considering you are pretty clued up on superhero stuff :p

Dont quite agree with the comparison. Solo was boycotted because of the negativity that surrounding with the management of SW and the backlash of their disastrous sequels rather than the movie itself. I didnt mind Solo personally but i dont disagree it could have been better perceived.

Not a expert or anything but Miles Morales - biracial teenager of an African-American father and a Puerto Rican mother, second SM so not sure what your implying?

Yes, better domestic numbers vs international really isn't a good sign for a movie like this. Disney needed this to do much better internationally.

I am hardly saying its a perfect movie but still early days yet you never know, it could still perform better than you think. Thats of course, depends if your going to move the goal posts. 350 Mill. 500 Mill and ofc some says 700 Mill :D

Last edited:
It has always been that the approximate break even point for a movie is 2x the budget. so for the little mermaid it is $500 million to break even.

However companies invest money in the hopes of making a lot more back. If you invest in something and it just about breaks even, you would not consider that a success. More so in a business where a majority of projects lose money and a number of staff are paid as a percentage of gross. You need really big wins to cover the other losses.

If it made $700 mill, that would mean an investment of $250 million, yielded a return of about $200 million after costs or a 1.8x return.

Back
Top Bottom