The Liverpool Club Thread. **No Spoilers**

Don
OP
Gomez has sustained a fracture to the lower leg and is going to be out for up to 6 weeks:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/328824-joe-gomez-injury-latest-liverpool

Klopp wasn't happy with Burnley's tactics last night and you can't blame him. From the first whistle they were needlessly flying into tackles, in some cases they won the ball but were still wiping out our players. These dinosaur tactics aren't helped by moron's on MOTD highligthing a red card challenge from Bardsley and praising his fighting spirit.

Don
OP
Thats a big big loss, he has been outstanding, losing him for the next 2 months is pretty major. Got to hope that Lovren steps up.
Got to hope Lovren's fit. He's not been in the last 2 squads and no sign of him at training today either. According to James Pearce yesterday he suffered a clash of heads in training.

Man of Honour
So would Matip be the one to replace him?

You've got a pretty brutal fixture list for december and the start of January so whoever fills his position really needs to step up.

A shame really as you're pretty much the only opposition to City.

Don
OP
Assuming it's just a clash of heads then Lovren shouldn't be out for long but it looks like it'll be Matip this weekend. Lovren and VVD had built up a decent partnership towards the end of last season so if we can keep them together for the most part it shouldn't be a massive problem but it's far from ideal.

Soldato
Gutted at the loss of Gomez, he's come on leaps and bounds since being given a chance in the centre :(

I don't rate lovren too highly, but we need to hope he's available for the weekend. Matip worries me, makes far too many mistakes.

Hope and pray Van Dijk stays fit now. Lose him and any chance of winning anything will be over.

Soldato
Don
OP
Another one bites the dust. Trent's out for upto 4 weeks with a knee injury - some people are saying it's the injury he picked up in the warm-up on Saturday but others are saying it's a different injury. To make things worse, Wijnaldum is supposed to be a doubt for this weekend too leaving us incredibly stretched at CB, RB and CM.

Milner would have probably started at RB ahead of him anyway but it would have been lovely to have Clyne around now just to give us some cover on the bench because as things stand, assuming Wijnaldum is out this weekend, we're threadbare. I'd imagine Fabinho will start in midfield but he's also going to be cover if we have to make changes at both RB and CB and the only that can then come in for him in midfield being Keita.

Soldato
We really have to be looking into the market now. Im not one for knee jerk reactions but we are near a crisis here.

Matip and Lovren being close to fitness just means they are a few weeks away from being injured again. One more injury in cb / cm and we are up a creak.

Don
OP
Unless somebody the club have identified as a long term target comes available then we're not signing anybody. Klopp will argue that we have enough for Palace and after Palace Wijnaldum and Lovren will be back and hopefully Gomez after the Leicester game. The issue is, as you say, that Matip and Lovren pick up far too many niggly injuries. Signing any old CB though won't help though because Klopp's not picking them unless all of Matip, Lovren and Fabinho are out and by the weekend they're all going to be back, for the time being at least.

Man of Honour
We really have to be looking into the market now. Im not one for knee jerk reactions but we are near a crisis here.

Matip and Lovren being close to fitness just means they are a few weeks away from being injured again. One more injury in cb / cm and we are up a creak.

We have to imo. There is too much at stake here, we cannot jeopardise the league title by being stubborn and not getting someone in. Doesn't necessarily need to be a big money purchase, we could even opt for an older experienced player to shore things up for a bit but to just try and persist with Gomez, Matip, Lovren and TAA all not 100% is simpy asking for our title charge to be derailed.

If we refuse to buy someone and then things go wrong, Klopp will never hear the end of the decision to not buy someone. If we do buy someone and it ends up being unnecessary nobody will bat an eyelid. This is definitely one time where the saying "better safe than sorry" fully applies.

Don
OP
The situation we're in now is clearly not ideal and the mistake was going into the season with 4 CB's when 2 have regular injury problems but just making any old signing isn't going to change a thing. No new signing will be ready to play this weekend and by our next game both Lovren and Wijnaldum (the latter might be fit this weekend anyway) will be back. For any new signing to feature we're going to need to pick up either an injury to both Milner and Fabinho or 2 CB's + Fabinho in the next 2 weeks because after that Gomez is back anyway.

Unless you're signing somebody that Klopp sees as an upgrade on Matip/Lovren or a long term cover/competition for Trent at RB then any new signing will offer us next to nothing.

Man of Honour
The situation we're in now is clearly not ideal and the mistake was going into the season with 4 CB's when 2 have regular injury problems but just making any old signing isn't going to change a thing. No new signing will be ready to play this weekend and by our next game both Lovren and Wijnaldum (the latter might be fit this weekend anyway) will be back. For any new signing to feature we're going to need to pick up either an injury to both Milner and Fabinho or 2 CB's + Fabinho in the next 2 weeks because after that Gomez is back anyway.

Unless you're signing somebody that Klopp sees as an upgrade on Matip/Lovren or a long term cover/competition for Trent at RB then any new signing will offer us next to nothing.

I hope you're right because if Klopp signs nobody and then we go on a run of dropped points that ultimately causes us to fall behind City and lose the shot at the title, I can only foresee one person of blame by the masses for that.

For me, its a simple case of risk v reward. Signing someone to aid the defence, preferably an older player with premier league experience, can have no negative effects and only the possibility of a positive effect, whereas not signing anyone to aid the defence can have no positive effect and only the possibility of a negative effect. So in terms of risk v reward, I see no risk in buying someone but the possibility of reward, and of not buying someone, the risk of losing the reward. I certainly wont grumble if we sign someone but to be honest, I may well grumble if we don't and suddenly end up 4 points behind City instead of in front.

Back
Top Bottom