The Long Dark - Survival Simulator **No zombies!**

Associate
Great game with lots of potential, looking forward to the story mode being added. I've played a little over an hour, managed to find a hunting rifle at the dam and picked up some ammo at the derailed wagons, shot a wolf, ate wolf, went to bed in the Hunting Lodge and woke up severely dehydrated and in pretty bad shape, so I quickly scoffed some raw wolf meat to bring up my calorie intake and got food poisoning, still dehydrate I ventured outside to collect snow for water and promptly died :D.

Associate
Sounds like a great game, just finished reading Margaret Atwood's Oryx And Crake - brilliant book about dystopian/post-apocolyptic future of a sole survivor's struggle and him remembering the events running up to 'The Flood'. Book also scary as it mirrors present global dilemmas, even though it was written over 10 years ago.

Soldato
So is this going to be purely PvE or will I have to watch out for noobs that spend all day stocking up on weapons and then wander round shooting people.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This looks great, love the visuals and that your character talks etc. What ever that's called.

I just hope it's hard core. Only interested in a survival game, if it's hardcore.

Edit - didn't realise this thread was so old, anyone got the beta yesterday? And good modern videos off game play?
I'm so very tempted, bit bored of buying early access though, got a fair few. I want a completed game to play. But no decent ones exist atm.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
is there any videos of crafting and resource gathering?
all I can see is scavenging.

Edit - I knew I shouldn't have, it is far to basic. I hope they add survival techniques and crafting etc. Atm it is more simplistic than a simpleton.

Last edited:
Soldato
is there any videos of crafting and resource gathering?
all I can see is scavenging.

Edit - I knew I shouldn't have, it is far to basic. I hope they add survival techniques and crafting etc. Atm it is more simplistic than a simpleton.

been looking for some vids myself, but haven't come across any yet. really do hope they add decent crafting/gathering to this (if it isn't already there)

Man of Honour
I do to.
Atm it is pot luck, not survival. It's far far far to simple. As in savaging. And it depends on what you scavenge, very little survivability, or learning survival skills or anything else.

It's a nice base, I just hope they have some real plans to flesh it out before release.

Man of Honour
How do you refill latent with kerosene. Doing fairly well, took me three days to find a knife though. Got 1.8litres of kerosene in a jerry can, but see no way if refilling lantern.

Edit - never mind I found it.

Last edited:
Associate
I do to.
Atm it is pot luck, not survival. It's far far far to simple. As in savaging. And it depends on what you scavenge, very little survivability, or learning survival skills or anything else.

It's a nice base, I just hope they have some real plans to flesh it out before release.

Agree, if you don't find any ammo for example, or the gun, I don't think you can last more than about 4 days with the available food, plus however long it takes to starve to death

If you do find a gun and ammo you can stock pile so much food, but eventually you'll run out of bullets or be unable to repair your weapons and clothes,, due to the finite resources. So unlike something like The Forest, you are doomed anyway, its just a case of how long.

I am close to a week now, 8 bullets left and loads of food stored. But there is no longer any need to do anything other than /forage wood and stay in my cabin

Man of Honour
I have never found a gun, and out of several dozen games. Only found a knife/hatchet in three of them.

No knife I can't even cut frozen meat.

Its fin enough as a tome killer, but I haven't got high hopes of a decent full game.
Why the **** does a can opener degrade.
Wtf without a hatchet am I so rubbish at gathering wood. Gathering wood in a Forrest is easy.
So on and so forth.

Associate
If there is no gun in Trappers or the watch tower you may as well start a new game. Hatchet is usually in the watch tower, but knife can be anywhere, I found a few in the dam.

Man of Honour
Another 4 decent lasting games last night. 4+ days surviving. Still no gun despite going to both trappers and watch tower.
Then a load of rubbish ones. Either starting at night or in a blizzard, your stuffed.

Last edited:
Associate
Ahh I had a bit of a drought like that too, on my current game there was one in trappers, and ammo in the safe, and another rifle downstairs in the dam next to the farthest stairs. Although the wolf always used to get me there..worth a look now as the wolf is a bit easier to kill now.

Man of Honour
That's my longest surviving game. Killed the wolf in the dam with just hands. Then found hatchet and knife on far stairs 9.5kilos of wolf meat. Then obviously meat from the frozen dead dear.

Only reason I died is I accidentally ate raw meat instead of cooked and even after antibiotics still died in sleep.
I've done that a few times, I need something to make it more noticeable if it's cooked or raw.

Back
Top Bottom