The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Caporegime
What was the % of viewers again that bailed?? All the defenders of the show disappeared after I posted it and went very quiet.

They all saw your post and said "oh fiddlesticks, that internet man is correct and I was wrong, I'd best not post again as it's rather embarrassing".

All of them.

Simultaneously.

Caporegime
Season 1 wasn't my cup of tea, but I can also accept that some people might have enjoyed it. I can't imagine having one of the highest post counts in a thread about a TV show I didn't like and also stooping to calling it "rings of poo".

Soldato
Season 1 wasn't my cup of tea, but I can also accept that some people might have enjoyed it. I can't imagine having one of the highest post counts in a thread about a TV show I didn't like and also stooping to calling it "rings of poo".
Here for the memes. Which was one of the highlights of last year.

“Give me the meat”

Soldato
I'll watch a second season, didn't watch the first and think I'd never watch it again.

Plus, has been said, I don't hang around discussing something until the end of time.

Would I possibly have dropped out? Maybe, but that was all down to when my 30 free prime trial ended, not because of the show. I'm tight. I only do prime in free trials and try and blast through everything I want to watch.

Caporegime
I'll watch a second season, didn't watch the first and think I'd never watch it again.

Plus, has been said, I don't hang around discussing something until the end of time.

Would I possibly have dropped out? Maybe, but that was all down to when my 30 free prime trial ended, not because of the show. I'm tight. I only do prime in free trials and try and blast through everything I want to watch.
6UHGAxO.png

Those who seem to have hated it the most are the biggest posters. Hmm.

Last edited:
Soldato
Plenty of butchering done by Jackson et al prior to this though?
The Peter Jackson lord of the rings trilogy is a masterpiece though. This is how Tolkien should be adapted. The source material was respected.

The hobbit was total garbage though and I have also commented on that plenty of times.

But even the hobbit films were good compared to rings of power. Rings of power is just offensive to all fans of Tolkien.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Peter Jackson lord of the rings trilogy is a masterpiece though. This is how Tolkien should be adapted. The source material was respected.
Certainly not through Peter Jackson who kept wanting to change things. Ian McKellen was notorious for having a copy of the book under his robes that he would pull out every time he wanted to change something or deviate from the books.

Soldato
Certainly not through Peter Jackson who kept wanting to change things. Ian McKellen was notorious for having a copy of the book under his robes that he would pull out every time he wanted to change something or deviate from the books.
You do have to make changes when adapting books for the screen though. But it needs to be done with respect for the source material.

There was little respect in the hobbit.

And rings of power doesn't even feel like the world created by Tolkien.

Last edited:
Caporegime
In that case what do you think was good for Tolkien fans?
I thought the world was beautifully realised. Numenor, Lindon, Khazad-Dum were all brilliantly brought to the screen (or in the latter, shown at the height of the dwarves power) I liked that it showed the story of an area of Middle Earth that hadn't really been explored in the existing stories (the Southlands) and thought the new characters fit well into the world. I really liked how they had the mystery of Sauron's identity , thought that was superbly done and the reveal in the end was very well executed. Kept it interesting for people who already know the story. Thought the Harfoots were well done and fit the existing world (and again an area that Tolkien didn't really explore, Hobbits origins are a completely blank slate unlike the rest of the people of Middle Earth) I have some reservations,
particularly the identity of the Stranger but that is still speculation at the moment
Some characters were changed from the books, but that has been the same for the films too and that didn't seem to bother people. I'm fine with adaptations being different, it's in the word. Tolkien changed his works throughout his life and they were never static. If he'd lived longer they would have continued to change.

Back
Top Bottom