The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
Did it ever occur to you that people watch a thing, discuss it whilst it's on and then move on with their lives until the next season rolls around?
Now now. I know you can’t keep away. Seen the numbers and you bailed
Something like 60-80% of people comparing the 1st and last episodes wasn't it
ouch almost as bad as my crypto portfolio!!

Caporegime
Surprised by this comment, given I would put this as second worst part of the show, only slightly less worse than the gandalf reveal tricking people thinking that was sauron.
He wasn't revealed as Gandalf, just as a wizard. Currently his identity is unknown. I think the Gandalf line is a red herring but we'll have to see. I liked the mystery around Sauron personally. I don't want to know absolutely everything immediately. It fits well with Sauron's character (who does that constantly throughout the Silmarillion)

Man of Honour
Rings of power is just offensive to all fans of Tolkien.

Not true at all, stop trying to proclaim your own opinion as universal.

In that case what do you think was good for Tolkien fans?

Just a broad point from the above convo, not ‘countering’ any particular poster/point: there really ought to be quite a lot of room between finding something ‘good’ and finding something ‘offensive’.

Soldato
It's just nothing like the world Tolkien created. Why even bother?
Because people will watch it, if they didn't they wouldn't pay to make more.

Who knows, it may encourage some people to read his books. I hope so, they're by far and a way books I would put towards the top of a list of 'must reads'.

Is it a stand out series for me? No. Is it the worst thing I've watched? No. I'm never going to be evangelical in my for/against it though.

Associate
Certainly not through Peter Jackson who kept wanting to change things. Ian McKellen was notorious for having a copy of the book under his robes that he would pull out every time he wanted to change something or deviate from the books.

Yes it was, it was entirely his and his teams creative vision that kept it very much grounded in the Lore and brought ME to life, two areas where the Amazon show was a complete disaster...

This is why we got an all-time classic series of films which the fans love, and which were authentic to Tolkien's intentions, not rubbish the fans hate which was "made for the World we live in today"...while also completely failing to bring the World to life...

;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is why we got an all-time classic series of films which the fans love, and which were authentic to Tolkien's intentions, not rubbish the fans hate which was "made for the World we live in today"...while also completely failing to bring the World to life...

But many of the changes Jackson made were, explicitly, because it was made for the World we lived in in the early days of the 3rd millennium. The reworking of Eowyn's character and the introduction of Arwen as a substantial on-screen character were both done because they felt that the story didn't have enough female characters for a modern audience.

Adaptions are always made for the modern world, because ones that aren't fail to appeal to, you know, the modern audiences that they need to watch them.

Man of Honour
Probably because they are big fans of Tolkien and hate seeing such a beloved IP butchered?

That's certainly why I am on this thread.

Rings of power is just offensive to all fans of Tolkien.

And rings of power doesn't even feel like the world created by Tolkien.

I've seen enough trailers, clips and reviews to know exactly what this pile of crap is like.

IPFzCBv.gif

Soldato
Please tell me you're not serious?
Why on earth would I waste ten hours of my life watching rings of power??

When this show was announced I was excited for more lord of the rings. I read plenty about it in the build up to release and saw worrying signs. When it came out I decided to wait for reviews. I've seen plenty of footage and trailers, I know exactly what they have done to this IP. It's blatantly not for me, a fan of the original IP, they've made that quite clear.

Tell me they haven't replaced the ethereal and cerebral Galadrial character with an obnoxious Mary Sue girl boss?

Why would I waste my time with it?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Why on earth would I waste ten hours of my life watching rings of power??

Not watching it is fair enough. That's a reasonable use of reviews. What's not is herping forth your definitionally ignorant, second-hand, opinions as if they were worth the price of toffee. The fact is that you know nothing about the show.

Why would I waste my time with it?

Why would you waste your time ranting about something you haven't seen?

Soldato
Not watching it is fair enough. That's a reasonable use of reviews. What's not is herping forth your definitionally ignorant, second-hand, opinions as if they were worth the price of toffee. The fact is that you know nothing about the show.

Why would you waste your time ranting about something you haven't seen?
Because I know what has been done to an IP I care about ;)

Why did only 37% of people watching actually complete the series? Because the true fans of the IP all dropped out pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well I'm glad you wasted 10 hours of your life on this garbage @Mr Jack :p

I enjoyed it; it wasn't great but it was quite watchable. Good enough that it could be the rough first season of something that turns out to be good, bad enough that it could spiral down to being unwatchable drekk. Because I tend not to rely on second hand opinions from YouTubers after clicks, I get to go and enjoy things instead :)

Back
Top Bottom