The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Caporegime
I enjoyed it; it wasn't great but it was quite watchable. Good enough that it could be the rough first season of something that turns out to be good, bad enough that it could spiral down to being unwatchable drekk. Because I tend not to rely on second hand opinions from YouTubers after clicks, I get to go and enjoy things instead :)
Dont you know there's many bandwagons to jump on in this day and age?

Associate
I rewatched the entire series in 2 days recently when I was sofa bound and quite ill for a few weeks. The rewatch and binge improved the experience and I really quite enjoyed the series.... it was better than I remember watching it when it was first released last year. I don't know whether the neggy reviews by the movie super fans tainted the experience first time round but I "meh'd" it at the time. I'm looking fwd to series 2 now. I am saying this is as a huge fan of the movies and the Hobbit/LOTR books growing up (admittedly I have not read them for over 25 years now! ).

Sure there are one or two slighty cringe moments but once you get the vibe and into it, its not a bad TV series experience or a Middle Earth experience yet.

This thread may just nudge me getting the Hobbit Hardback for my son and we'll read it together.

Associate
But many of the changes Jackson made were, explicitly, because it was made for the World we lived in in the early days of the 3rd millennium. The reworking of Eowyn's character and the introduction of Arwen as a substantial on-screen character were both done because they felt that the story didn't have enough female characters for a modern audience.

Adaptions are always made for the modern world, because ones that aren't fail to appeal to, you know, the modern audiences that they need to watch them.

Huge contrast between how this was handled with the brilliant Eowen and Arwen and ROP's god-awful Galadriel. And of course Jackson's adaptation was driven by talented fans, not by talentless hacks and activists hell-bent on attacking the fan-base, and that shows in every frame.

You've underlined my point really.

;)

Caporegime
You'll quickly realise reading original Tolkien is pretty heavy going. I've found it a difficult read in the past.

Depends on the book, I think. Lord of the Rings is a bit rough, and the style feels dated these days, but once it gets going its compelling enough to make it a pretty easy read, imo. The thing about The Hobbit is that it was written to be read out to children and it shows if you try and just read it as a book then it comes across as quite clunky. The Silmarillion is a tough read by any standards, and it only gets tougher from there. Honestly, I think there's a reason that JRR never published the other works.

Soldato
not by talentless hacks and activists hell-bent on attacking the fan-base, and that shows in every frame.
tenor.gif

Associate
You'll quickly realise reading original Tolkien is pretty heavy going. I've found it a difficult read in the past.

Very much agree. The Hobbit I really enjoyed when young (although I don't remember how old I was, but re-read it several times).

It took me a few goes at LOTR at growing ages before I got into it later in my teens.

Soldato
Some of favourite moments from season one listed below.

1. Bodyform meme.

2. Amazon claiming that the increase in prime subscribers in October, November and December was down to Rings of poo. You know not a little thing called Christmas which is retails biggest time of the year.

3. Amazon hiring influencers to act like fake fans and pimp the show. With the highlight being one of them caught taking a leak in the background in the promotional video.

Man of Honour
I imagine many people tried reading LotR after seeing the films and get to the Bombadil bit and go… wut!! :p

Especially when he’s immune to the ring.

He got nerfed from the films for being too gangsta.

Last edited:
Soldato
I imagine many people tried reading LotR after seeing the films and get to the Bombadil bit and go… wut!! :p

Especially when he’s immune to the ring.

He got nerfed from the films for being too gangsta.

My sister got so triggered by Bombadil she put the book down and never picked it back up. I actually find it a super fascinating subject as to speculate who he is (Whether he be Illuvitar, a Tolkien self-insert or the reader are some of my favourites) - I want a super duper extended version with his entire singing in just to troll people.

Man of Honour
Yup we need a 100% source accurate adaptation with all the good bits.

Old Tom Bombadil was a merry fellow;
bright blue his jacket was and his boots were yellow,
green were his girdle and his breeches all of leather;
he wore in his tall hat a swan-wing feather.
He lived up under Hill, where the Withywindle
ran from a grassy well down into the dingle.

10/10 - would watch this gold on repeat.

Associate
Some of favourite moments from season one listed below.

1. Bodyform meme.

2. Amazon claiming that the increase in prime subscribers in October, November and December was down to Rings of poo. You know not a little thing called Christmas which is retails biggest time of the year.

3. Amazon hiring influencers to act like fake fans and pimp the show. With the highlight being one of them caught taking a leak in the background in the promotional video.

I think someone did a "Where are they now?" video and none of them had even posted a single video about the show...

Still, we did get the golden moment when one them declared they could "fix" Sauron...

:cry:

Caporegime
Well I'm glad you wasted 10 hours of your life on this garbage @Mr Jack :p

I'm sure glad I didn't.
Be honest, you're amongst friends here, no-one will judge you :p How many hours do you think you've spent reading, writing, watching anything related to this show, since it's premiere.

I've probably spent about 30 minutes reading this thread since it's inception (60ish pages, 2 mins a page), mostly for comedy value.

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom