The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Critical Drinker absolutely dismantles it so I think I'll give this season a miss, for now as I have tons to watch as it is. Actually laughed a lot at his video because some bits for once were amusing.

Last edited:
Critical Drinker absolutely dismantles it so I think I'll give this season a miss, for now as I have tons to watch as it is. Actually laughed a lot at his video because some bits for once were amusing.

As a well-known internet whiner re: modern franchises, he would never like it, not even within ‘the scope of chance’. I wouldn’t ever watch something from him to decide whether I wanted to watch something…!

But if you tend to strongly dislike all the things he strongly dislikes then fair enough.

Last edited:
As a well-known internet whiner re: modern franchises, he would never like it, not even within ‘the scope of chance’. I wouldn’t ever watch something from him to decide whether I wanted to watch something…!

But if you tend to strongly dislike all the things he strongly dislikes then fair enough.
I agree overall regarding him, though he always makes a lot of valid points in his whines. I barely managed the disasterous characters in S1 as it is so his video reminded took me back and made me realise I perhaps shouldn't waste my time. The final episode was a banger though and I'd never forget that finale.

Last edited:
Not watching something because an overtly annoyed Scottish critic slates it? Each to their own. You should watch and decide for yourself.

I think several interesting story paths are being woven. The theme so far has been less she warrior than season 1, so I feel the tone is more balanced for the audience.

A succesful published author who is also having a film made, If you've actually watched CD he clearly undestands how story telling should work. He's a far far better analytical critic than anyone you will find in the traditional access media. He's doesnlt like what's been done to modern IP's and he's 100% correct, they're all now ****.

I don't see what the problem is, other than fanbois who can't stand their beloved IPS's being criticised, or weird people who can't stand any form of "authority" being questioned or criticised :D

Last edited:
A succesful published author who is also having a film made, If you've actually watched CD he clearly undestands how story telling should work. He's a far far better analytical critic than anyone you will find in the traditional access media. He's doesnlt like what's been done to modern IP's and he's 100% correct, they're all now ****.

I don't see what the problem is, other than fanbois who can't stand their beloved IPS's being criticised, or weird people who can't stand any form of "authority" being questioned or criticised :D

He's a grifter who realised he can make huge amounts of money appealing to his audience.

I find it ironic people claim that print media critics are paid shills and then are happy to watch and put huge amounts of stock in the views of Youtubers who use the analytics to pinpoint exactly what videos get the most views and make them the most money.

He's a grifter who realised he can make huge amounts of money appealing to his audience.

I find it ironic people claim that print media critics are paid shills and then are happy to watch and put huge amounts of stock in the views of Youtubers who use the analytics to pinpoint exactly what videos get the most views and make them the most money.

LMAO look who comes running the rescue! Like clockwork :D

No he isn't he clearly understands how TV and movies are made and should be made and his critiques are reflected in the failure of the TV and films he criticises. And of course there';s always white knights like you running around message boards trying to defend "Authority" - but you're wrong, and the box office shows that. I find it ironic that you casn't see the difference between paid shills and outlets totally depended on ad revenue, and access to remain relevant as their sad old business model craters, and someone who isn't paid for reviews, who doesn't rely on ad revenue or access from the people prodicing the shows he's supposed to be critiquing.

Why are your beloved IP's, your beloved corporations like Dysentry, and their TV shows and Movies, and alkso the access media all failing? it is because audience doesn't want their garbage and you can't stand that, you cannot argue with the facts, and the financial reality.

The truth is people like CD are 100% right about modern entertainment, and the facts are irrefutable. Opinions are one thing, the facts are quite another...

;)

He is successful yes and his critiques aren’t universally terrible (he likes PIB2 for all the right reasons) but you must surely be mindful of any content that rolls out that fast to bash something one a channel that has a history of bashing the same old things.

I’m not sure who your second comment is aimed at tbh - it doesn’t make sense in the context of my own comments. Nobody in this thread appears to be taking that sort of position.

Anyway, my review:

Absolutely horrible, I was struggling in the second half of the second episode. Has none of the wit, charisma or scale of anything that came before it. The costumes looked cheap, the sets looked like everything was shot on The Volume, and I just couldn't buy into the world for one moment.

The dialogue is ham-fisted and no one character made any sense at all in action or thought, They didn't even try to make it sound like Tolkien. The pacing is both bizarrely sluggish but breakneck at the same time like the actors are either uninterested or overacting luvvies. None of the characters behave like they know or like each other, like an amateur Shakespeare stage play put on my "local" talent.

Season 1 was bad, but this is far far worse. They're stuck with the bad casting from season 1, so inheriting issues from the past season while trying to desperately course correct at the same time.

4/10. and that 4 was mostly because it was technically competent for the most part, although it looks like a fraction of the cost that Amazon actually sunk into this thing.

Last edited:
They can't overcome the structural weaknesses the project set out with. They didn't know what to do with the source material they had, they did not have the right people running the project, they didn't not have the writers, they got themselves wound up in modern politics rather than making a TV show, they turned on the fans and seemed to think they could do a better job of Tolkien than Tolkien.

And on top of that this should have had a stellar cast, just like GOT, when I first saw the "stars" leading S1 - I knew this show wasn't going to be great, come on man, Morfydd Clark? (horribly mis-cast) Lenny Henry? - even the good actos in this are B/C level people - the cast was so mid, like a 2nd tier cable show on the old Sci Fi channel.

This should have had an insane cast.

They do seem to have dispensed so far with the modern politics, they seem to have for the most part thrown the Harfoots off a cliff, and so far we haven't seen anything too CW, they have ended the worst romance plot line in History with Yawnwyn and Arundull, so they're trying to fix it but it's way too late because to was set up to fail from the outset.

They didn't want to do Tolkien, they wanted to do their own show, and that has backfired in spectacular fashion.

Back
Top Bottom