The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
One things thats interesting is that GRRM says he needs two books to complete it. Which as per the end of the last book seems very unrealistic. So whilst there was massive annoyance at the seemingly sped up ending to the TV series its not that out of line with what GRRM says himself.
If he kept to the normal place he had set I estimate its more like 4 books.
doesn't matter, the fat **** will never finish the series :p :(

doesn't matter, the fat **** will never finish the series :p :(
If he doesnt pop his clogs we have some chance (from early July):

"Most of you know by now that I do not like to give detailed updates on WINDS. I am working on it, I have been working on it, I will continue to work on it. (Yes, I work on other things as well). I love nothing more than to surprise my readers with twists and turns they did not see coming, and I risk losing those moments if I go into too much detail. Spoilers, you know. Even saying that I am working on a Tyrion chapter, as I did last week, gives away the fact that Tyrion is not dead. Reading sample chapters at cons, or posting them on line, which I did for years, gives away even more. I actually quite enjoyed doing that, until the day came that I realized I had read and/or posted the first couple of hundred pages of WINDS, or thereabouts. If I had kept on with the readings, half the book might be out by now.

So I am not going to give you all any kind of detailed report on the book, but…

I will say this.

I have been at work in my winter garden. Things are growing… and changing, as does happen with us gardeners. Things twist, things change, new ideas come to me (thank you, muse), old ideas prove unworkable, I write, I rewrite, I restructure, I rip everything apart and rewrite again, I go through doors that lead nowhere, and doors that open on marvels.

Sounds mad, I know. But it’s how I write. Always has been. Always will be. For good or ill.

What I have noticed more and more of late, however, is my gardening is taking me further and further away from the television series. Yes, some of the things you saw on HBO in GAME OF THRONES you will also see in THE WINDS OF WINTER (though maybe not in quite the same ways)… but much of the rest will be quite different.

And really, when you think about it, this was inevitable. The novels are much bigger and much much more complex than the series. Certain things that happened on HBO will not happen in the books. And vice versa. I have viewpoint characters in the books never seen on the show: Victarion Greyjoy, Arianne Martell, Areo Hotah, Jon Connington, Aeron Damphair They will all have chapters, and the things they do and say will impact the story and the major characters who were on the show. I have legions of secondary characters, not POVs but nonetheless important to the plot, who also figure in the story: Lady Stoneheart, Young Griff, the Tattered Prince, Penny, Brown Ben Plumm, the Shavepate, Marwyn the Mage, Darkstar, Jeyne Westerling. Some characters you saw in the show are quite different than the versions in the novels. Yarra Greyjoy is not Asha Greyjoy, and HBO’s Euron Greyjoy is way, way, way, way different from mine. Quaithe still has a part to play. So does Rickon Stark. And poor Jeyne Poole. And… well, the list is long. (And all this is part of why WINDS is taking so long. This is hard, guys).

Oh, and there will be new characters as well. No new viewpoints, I promise you that, but with all these journeys and battles and scheming to come, inevitably our major players will be encountering new people in lands far and near.

One thing I can say, in general enough terms that I will not be spoiling anything: not all of the characters who survived until the end of GAME OF THRONES will survive until the end of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, and not all of the characters who died on GAME OF THRONES will die in A SONG OF ICE & FIRE. (Some will, sure. Of course. Maybe most. But definitely not all) ((Of course, I could change my mind again next week, with the next chapter I write. That’s gardening)).

And the ending? You will need to wait until I get there. Some things will be the same. A lot will not.

No doubt, once I am done, there will be huge debate about which version of the story is better. Some people will like my book, others will prefer the television show. And that’s fine, you pays your money and your makes your choice. (I do fear that a certain proportion of fans are so angry about how long WINDS has taken me that they are prepared to hate the book, unread. That saddens me, but there nothing I can do about it, but write the best book that I can, and hope that when it comes out most fans will read it with clean hands and an open mind).

That’s all I can tell you right now. I need to get back to the garden. Tyrion is waiting for me."

ETA : 2025 and then 2035 or so would be my guess.

Suspended
Season 1 of GOT was released in April 2011.

Book 5 was released in July 2011

When they started making them, they would have rightly assumed that George R R Martin would have at least finished book 6 as they got closer to the end, if not the whole series.

Season 1 of GOT was released in April 2011.

Book 5 was released in July 2011

When they started making them, they would have rightly assumed that George R R Martin would have at least finished book 6 as they got closer to the end, if not the whole series.

Yep thinking he would finish would have been very optimistic but maybe he committed to trying or something.
He knocked the first three books out in four years (based on publish date) but then took 5 years each (+) for the next two.
So assuming that timeline the 6th book would have been published around when the final two seasons of GOT was being finalised. But those seasons were supposed to be mainly based on the last book so that timing is off.

I have followed him for many many years, I am fairly sure he promised WOW was almost done around 2013, it seems to get further away not closer.

Thing is what I think badly slowed it down was that he became very popular at this point. So many things happened
- richer and took interest in other things like that bloody cinema ;)
- was asked to side write other stuff which slowed down the main books
- constantly in demand for interviews and tours so they could ask "wen book 6"
plus others

Thats not an ideal change for a writer that wasn't that fast in the the first place. When you compare to RA Salvatore who can knock out a "book" in about a week it seems ;)

Sorry offtopic, no more SOIAF or GOT talk from me.

Reactions: Dup
Soldato
Main series
1996 - 2011: 5 books
2011 - 2022: 0 books

Still managed a book every 3 years, I just don't think he cares anymore.

Edit: I suppose I should be grateful he stopped writing as I went back to the Malazan Book of the fallen series and smashed all 24 of those out in the 8 or 9 years after Dance came out.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Hes never going to finish them. Honestly, its frustrating but he owes us nothing and the dude is old and unhealthy. He should do what he wants to do, not what the fans want him to do.

Hes 73 and a man of his proportions does not usually live til 90.

Soldato
Just let Brandon Sanderson finish everything :D

Yeah, i've been saying this for about 5 years. This is how ridiculous this thing has become, I read AGOT just before the TV show began, and I thought "I'll watch the TV series first, and it is going to be condensed and it will be different, then by the time it is done the books will be finished and i'll read the whole series back to back"

That was roughly 10 years, I now know i'll never even start ACOK.

Permabanned
I'm just glad Peter Jackson made his trilogy 20 years ago, before woke politics could ruin it, it's about to get a whole lot more appreciation when Amazon releases this abomination.

The Trailer looks awful, many of the characters they're using have no business being there at all, awful dialog, race and gender swapped characters for no reason, they started off saying they would respect the source material, but now it's loosely based on Tolkien's writing because we can do better. No respect at all for the source material.

Ratioed at expected, and bring back YouTube dislike under estimates the downvotes by quite a low.

Surprised they've left comments enabled, they're pretty funny.

105128.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm just glad Peter Jackson made his trilogy 20 years ago, before woke politics could ruin it, it's about to get a whole lot more appreciation when Amazon releases this abomination.

The Trailer looks awful, many of the characters they're using have no business being there at all, awful dialog, race and gender swapped characters for no reason, they started off saying they would respect the source material, but now it's loosely based on Tolkien's writing because we can do better. No respect at all for the source material.

Ratioed at expected, and bring back YouTube dislike under estimates the downvotes by quite a low.

Surprised they've left comments enabled, they're pretty funny.

105128.jpg

Tolkien is now in the hands of two woke ninnies who have absolutely no resume whatsover. It is clear to me that the starting point for this show was the woke politics first, and then Tolkien a distant second.

Soldato
Hey I see this thread has started to heat up.

For those that have missed it watch the old Tolkien "superfan" video amazon did.

One of the paid influencers was captured taking a leak against a wall in the background.

It's probably more entertaining than this show will ever be.

Soldato
Tolkien is now in the hands of two woke ninnies who have absolutely no resume whatsover. It is clear to me that the starting point for this show was the woke politics first, and then Tolkien a distant second.
Based on what? A trailer?

Give over. Your opinion for this show is already set. You probably wont even watch it and still you'll criticise it for being "woke".

Soldato
Hey I see this thread has started to heat up.

For those that have missed it watch the old Tolkien "superfan" video amazon did.

One of the paid influencers was captured taking a leak against a wall in the background.

It's probably more entertaining than this show will ever be.

Oh god I'd forgotten that video even existed. Now I remember why my expectations are so low.

Soldato
Based on what? A trailer?

Give over. Your opinion for this show is already set. You probably wont even watch it and still you'll criticise it for being "woke".

Based on the constant barrage of woke statements from all and sundry connected with the show. Haven't you been paying attention? I mean fair enough if you haven't, but if you had you know about the propaganda campiagn that has backfired so spectacularly, the shill articles calling out the fans, the paid "influencers" show, none of whom had got a single clue about Tolkien but were all woke u30s, the Oxford shills tour where they all came out parroting the same lines...

Now, they've lost the proaganda war, the showrunners are trying to claim it's not about modern politics at all, despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary...

Back
Top Bottom