The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
Just been laughing at the clip showing "Galadriel" slowly turning round trying to look like a badass warrior princess, she doesn't have it at all, she doesn't convince as a warrior or even look anything like an elf! :D

She looks like a primary school teacher doing a cosplay.

How can they get this so wrong? They had a perfect representation of an older Galadriel to work from, and we get this? I mean to not even look like an elf?

:cry:
Know many real elves do you :confused:

Soldato
I've seen that clip linked on another forum, thought I was watching some cheap chinese knockoff, did make me laugh a little.

If this is a taste of what's to come it is going to be hilarious in parts! "Respecting Tolkien" LMAO.

:D
pretty sure there were a couple of ropey cgi moments involving Legolas in the original trilogy that didn't look a lot less silly than the above clip.

Soldato
Know many real elves do you :confused:

I don't think anyone knows any real elves, do you?

Are you trying to say that unless something actually exists in real life, you can't picture how it should look in a fantasy?

You know what santa looks like right? but he's not real, and you know what he looks like, neither are Dragons, but you know what a dragon looks like right?

I'm not sure you've got a handle on how reality and fantasy co-exist, and that things that aren't real, do have an established look - like Santa and like Dragons.

I'm not sure this whole fantasy genre is for you tbh.

Soldato
pretty sure there were a couple of ropey cgi moments involving Legolas in the original trilogy that didn't look a lot less silly than the above clip.
Yeah, return of the king with Legolas and the oliphaunts was pretty ropey, mind you it was done as reshoots after audiences loved shield boarding Legolas in 2 towers.

Soldato
I don't think anyone knows any real elves, do you?

Are you trying to say that unless something actually exists in real life, you can't picture how it should look in a fantasy?

You know what santa looks like right? but he's not real, and you know what he looks like, neither are Dragons, but you know what a dragon looks like right?

I'm not sure you've got a handle on how reality and fantasy co-exist, and that things that aren't real, do have an established look - like Santa and like Dragons.

I'm not sure this whole fantasy genre is for you tbh.

Using your own logic why are lotr movie elves different from Santa's :confused:

Soldato
I'm not your lackey, all you have to do is Google. It's the 1st result from Tolkiengateway, or have read his books.

You might have to explain to him how Google works first. It seems he's fallen to Earth like David Bowie did, in "The Man Who Fell to Earth". Oh crap he'll probably need you to aslo explain to him who David Bowie was...

Soldato
I'm not your lackey, all you have to do is Google. It's the 1st result from Tolkiengateway, or have read his books.
'but it should be noted that there are no explicit references to pointed Elvish ears', why in the films do they pointy ears :confused:
'no less than six and a half feet for elfmen', but Orlando Bloom is not even six foot :confused:
Is Crow from Hawk the Slayer a passable Elf or not :confused:

This is almost as if people can have different interpretations of how elves look :eek:

That's not my logic at all, I'm assuming you have a basic working knowledge of popular culture, it seems you haven't. I don't have time to hold your hand through it all. Sorry about that.
:cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
'but it should be noted that there are no explicit references to pointed Elvish ears', why in the films do they pointy ears :confused:
'no less than six and a half feet for elfmen',
but Orlando Bloom is not even six foot :confused:
Is Crow from Hawk the Slayer a passable Elf or not :confused:

This is almost as if people can have different interpretations of how elves look :eek:

And John Rhys Davies is 6 foot not 4 foot, what's your point?

From memory elvish ears were described as leaf shaped, hence the pointy bit. But if you really want to go down the pedantic route can you tell me the skin colour of elves, Tolkien's very clear in that.

Soldato
And John Rhys Davies is 6 foot not 4 foot, what's your point?

From memory elvish ears were described as leaf shaped, hence the pointy bit. But if you really want to go down the pedantic route can you tell me the skin colour of elves, Tolkien's very clear in that.
So it's OK for the films to be inaccurate but not this series :confused: Why is this series depiction of an Elf so abhorrent?

The leaf shape wasn't from the books.

We are not on about the little people, this is all Elf.

Soldato
So it's OK for the films to be inaccurate but not this series :confused: Why is this series depiction of an Elf so abhorrent?

We are not on about the little people, this is all Elf.
Good luck finding a 6 and a half foot tall slender, graceful actor to play an elf. I'd wager there's no such thing. Slight difference taking some artistic license because the thing that's described doesn't exist and what Amazon have done.

Oh sneaky edit
The leaf shape wasn't from the books.
No it was from the The Lost Road and Other Writings, after his death. Again, what's your point here?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom